Multipole Expansion: Quadrupole Moment Calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the quadrupole moment for four point charges located at specific coordinates using the formula Qij= Ʃ(i) qi (3RiRj-R^2(δij)). The process involves calculating the sum for every pair (i,j) and results in a matrix with 9 components. The values used for the coordinates and charges are provided in the initial problem.
Josephk1508

Homework Statement

Four point charges: q at a^z; q at -a^z; -q at a^y and -q at -a^y
where ^z and ^y are the unit vectors along the z and y axes.

Homework Equations

Find the approximate expression (i.e. calculate the first non-zero term in the multipole expansion) for the electrostatic potential at large distances.

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I have worked that the monople and dipole moment is zero. So i realize I need to move onto the quadrupole moment. Which is what I'm struggling with.

The formula is Qij= Ʃ(i) qi (3RiRj-R^2(δij))

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can simply calculate the sum for every pair (i,j). The result is a matrix with 9 components.

However, you should not use the index i for a coordinate and the charge index at the same time. Wikipedia has a better version:
641f2fa691959ec8094e7d055345c686.png

I still don't properly understand? What do you mean every pair (i,j)?

Calculate Q11: simply insert i=1 and j=1 everywhere.
When you are done, calculate Q12, and Q13, and so on.

Q23 as example:
$$Q_{23}=\sum_l q_l (3r_{2l}r_{3l}-r_l^2 \delta_{23})$$
##\delta_{23}=0##, therefore
$$Q_{23}=q(3*0*a-a^2*0) + q(3*0*(-a)-a^2*0) - q(3*a*0-a^2*0) - q(3*(-a)*0-a^2*0)=0$$

It is not necessary/useful to write PMs, I see this thread in the subscribed threads.

mfb said:
You can simply calculate the sum for every pair (i,j). The result is a matrix with 9 components.
641f2fa691959ec8094e7d055345c686.png

Can you speak more about what the r_il and r_jl elements map to, using the coordinates used in this problem? Specifically, what is 0 and what is a/-a? I'm having a brain-cramp about it... and I know it's something straightforward.

Those are values taken from the initial problem. a is part of coordinates, and 0 is just zero.
l is the index of the charges, i and j are numbers for coordinates (x=1, y=2, z=3).

Perfect, thank you VERY MUCH!

1. What is a multipole expansion?

A multipole expansion is a mathematical technique used to describe the distribution of electric charge or mass in a system. It involves breaking down a complex charge or mass distribution into simpler components, such as point charges or masses, to make calculations easier.

2. What is a quadrupole moment?

A quadrupole moment is a measure of the distribution of electric charge or mass in a system. It is a mathematical concept used to describe the shape and orientation of a system's charge or mass distribution, and it is calculated using the second-order terms in a multipole expansion.

3. How is a quadrupole moment calculated?

A quadrupole moment is calculated by taking the second-order terms in a multipole expansion and integrating them over the entire charge or mass distribution. This involves finding the product of the charge or mass at each point and its distance from the origin, and then summing these products over all points in the system.

4. What is the physical significance of the quadrupole moment?

The physical significance of the quadrupole moment lies in its ability to describe the shape and orientation of a system's charge or mass distribution. It can also be used to calculate important physical properties, such as the electric field and potential, of a system.

5. What are some real-world applications of quadrupole moments?

Quadrupole moments have numerous real-world applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. They are used to study the structure of molecules, the properties of atomic nuclei, and the behavior of electromagnetic fields in complex systems. They are also important in understanding the behavior of fluids and solids under stress, and in designing electrical and mechanical systems.