1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Multipoles physics problem

1. Jan 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    find:

[tex]\vec{p}[/tex] (dipole moment)
    [tex]\itshape V(r,\theta)[/tex] (dipole potential)

of a spherical shell which has a charge area of [tex]\itshape \sigma= k cos \theta [/tex].

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\itshape \vec{p}= \int\int \vec{r} \sigma (r\stackrel{2}{} sin \theta d\theta d\phi)[/tex]
    [tex]\itshape V(r, \theta )= \frac{\hat{R} \bullet \vec{p}}{4 \pi \epsilon R^{2}}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I came up with 0 both times and i know that's wrong. plz help

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Re: Multipoles

Show us your work so we can see where you went wrong.

4. Jan 17, 2010 #3

I can tell you that either your integral is wrong or you are not accounting for [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] in the integral. Since I know the equation is correct, you are not accounting for [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] in your calculation.

Do you know what [tex]\vec{r}[/tex] is?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  5. Jan 17, 2010 #4

Work: OK i re-did the problem this time taking a different approach....

[tex]\itshape\vec{p}=\int^{\pi}_{0}\int^{2\pi}_{0}\vec{r}\sigma\:d\vec{a}[/tex]

[tex]\itshape \sigma=kcos\:\theta\:,\:d\vec{a}=r^{2}sin\:\theta\:d\theta\:d\phi\:\hat{r}\:,\:k=constant[/tex]

so...
    [tex]\itshape \vec{p}=\int^{\pi}_{0}\int^{2\pi}_{0}r^{3}k(cos^{2}\:\theta\:sin\:\theta\:sin\:\phi\:\hat{x}\:+\:sin^{2}\:\theta\:cos\:\theta\:cos\:\phi\:\hat{y}\:+\:cos^{2}\:\theta\:sin\:\theta\:\hat{z})\:d\theta\:\:d\phi[/tex]
    so when...
    [tex]\itshape R\geq\:r\;\Rightarrow\;\vec{p}=\frac{4}{3}\pi r^{3}k\:\hat{z}[/tex]
    and when...
    [tex]\itshape r\geq\:R\;\Rightarrow\;\vec{p}=\frac{4}{3}\pi R^{3}k\:\hat{z}[/tex]

and finally...
    [tex]\itshape \hat{r}\bullet\vec{p}=cos\:\theta\:\hat{z}\bullet\frac{4}{3}\pi r(or\:R)^{3}k\:\hat{z}=\frac{4}{3}\pi r(or\:R)^{3}k\:cos\:\theta\:[/tex]

so when...
    [tex]\itshaper R\geq\:r\;\Rightarrow\;V_{dip}(r,\theta)=\frac{kR^{3}}{3\epsilon r^{2}}\:cos\:\theta[/tex]
    and when...
    [tex]\itshape r\geq\:R\;\Rightarrow\;V_{dip}(r,\theta)=\frac{kr}{3\epsilon}\:cos\:\theta[/tex]
    but what disturbs me is i thought i was supposed to be finding an approximate amount of V... and that was the exact answer, did i go wrong somewhere and just get really lucky giving me the exact amount, or am i right... and if im right what does using a higher multipole change?

6. Jan 17, 2010 #5

@jdwood983 the first time i didn't account for [tex]\itshape \vec{r}=r\hat{r}[/tex], and i always forget to because I'm being lazy, the second time i did though.

7. Jan 17, 2010 #6

Is it not possible that this charge distribution has exactly the electric field of a certain dipole? In which case higher order terms would not be necessary.

8. Jan 17, 2010 #7

I am not sure, nor do i know a way to check that. Is the a formula or and of the given i had above that would tell me this, I'm self teaching Griffiths' book, which has no answers and no teacher to ask, so I'm a bit lost.

9. Jan 17, 2010 #8

It is certainly possible, and your result seems like more than a coincidence given what he asks in part b.

10. Jan 17, 2010 #9

Because what really drove the integral above was the [tex]\itshape \sigma[/tex] which says that the charge density on the x and y axis are both k (when z=0) would it be safe to say the the dipole moment will be in the z direction in cases like this? Also because of circle symmetry the net charge is 0 at the origin (I assume is the center) is the V going to be defined as a dipole, which i think might be mentioned in the book?

11. Jan 17, 2010 #10

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

It's been too long since I've done this stuff, so I might be totally off here. But I'd guess the result isn't too surprising because [itex]\sigma \propto Y^0_1[/itex], where [itex]Y^m_l[/itex] are the spherical harmonics.

12. Jan 17, 2010 #11

the whole Y thing went right past me, but what u said i think clarified my final troubles on this problem. Thank you everyone for the help on this problem :)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook