Calculating Dipole Moment and Potential for Spherical Shell Charge Distribution?

• Thread starter minimark1234
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the author attempted to solve a homework problem but was unsuccessful. He re-did the problem taking a different approach and was eventually successful.
minimark1234

Homework Statement

find:

[tex]\vec{p}[/tex] (dipole moment)
[tex]\itshape V(r,\theta)[/tex] (dipole potential)

of a spherical shell which has a charge area of [tex]\itshape \sigma= k cos \theta [/tex].

Homework Equations

[tex]\itshape \vec{p}= \int\int \vec{r} \sigma (r\stackrel{2}{} sin \theta d\theta d\phi)[/tex]
[tex]\itshape V(r, \theta )= \frac{\hat{R} \bullet \vec{p}}{4 \pi \epsilon R^{2}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I came up with 0 both times and i know that's wrong. please help

Physics news on Phys.org

Show us your work so we can see where you went wrong.

I can tell you that either your integral is wrong or you are not accounting for [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] in the integral. Since I know the equation is correct, you are not accounting for [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] in your calculation.

Do you know what [tex]\vec{r}[/tex] is?

Last edited:

Work: OK i re-did the problem this time taking a different approach...

[tex]\itshape\vec{p}=\int^{\pi}_{0}\int^{2\pi}_{0}\vec{r}\sigma\:d\vec{a}[/tex]

[tex]\itshape \sigma=kcos\:\theta\:,\:d\vec{a}=r^{2}sin\:\theta\:d\theta\:d\phi\:\hat{r}\:,\:k=constant[/tex]

so...
[tex]\itshape \vec{p}=\int^{\pi}_{0}\int^{2\pi}_{0}r^{3}k(cos^{2}\:\theta\:sin\:\theta\:sin\:\phi\:\hat{x}\:+\:sin^{2}\:\theta\:cos\:\theta\:cos\:\phi\:\hat{y}\:+\:cos^{2}\:\theta\:sin\:\theta\:\hat{z})\:d\theta\:\:d\phi[/tex]
so when...
[tex]\itshape R\geq\:r\;\Rightarrow\;\vec{p}=\frac{4}{3}\pi r^{3}k\:\hat{z}[/tex]
and when...
[tex]\itshape r\geq\:R\;\Rightarrow\;\vec{p}=\frac{4}{3}\pi R^{3}k\:\hat{z}[/tex]

and finally...
[tex]\itshape \hat{r}\bullet\vec{p}=cos\:\theta\:\hat{z}\bullet\frac{4}{3}\pi r(or\:R)^{3}k\:\hat{z}=\frac{4}{3}\pi r(or\:R)^{3}k\:cos\:\theta\:[/tex]

so when...
[tex]\itshaper R\geq\:r\;\Rightarrow\;V_{dip}(r,\theta)=\frac{kR^{3}}{3\epsilon r^{2}}\:cos\:\theta[/tex]
and when...
[tex]\itshape r\geq\:R\;\Rightarrow\;V_{dip}(r,\theta)=\frac{kr}{3\epsilon}\:cos\:\theta[/tex]
but what disturbs me is i thought i was supposed to be finding an approximate amount of V... and that was the exact answer, did i go wrong somewhere and just get really lucky giving me the exact amount, or am i right... and if I am right what does using a higher multipole change?

Last edited:

@jdwood983 the first time i didn't account for [tex]\itshape \vec{r}=r\hat{r}[/tex], and i always forget to because I'm being lazy, the second time i did though.

Last edited:

Is it not possible that this charge distribution has exactly the electric field of a certain dipole? In which case higher order terms would not be necessary.

I am not sure, nor do i know a way to check that. Is the a formula or and of the given i had above that would tell me this, I'm self teaching Griffiths' book, which has no answers and no teacher to ask, so I'm a bit lost.

It is certainly possible, and your result seems like more than a coincidence given what he asks in part b.

Because what really drove the integral above was the [tex]\itshape \sigma[/tex] which says that the charge density on the x and y-axis are both k (when z=0) would it be safe to say the the dipole moment will be in the z direction in cases like this? Also because of circle symmetry the net charge is 0 at the origin (I assume is the center) is the V going to be defined as a dipole, which i think might be mentioned in the book?

It's been too long since I've done this stuff, so I might be totally off here. But I'd guess the result isn't too surprising because [itex]\sigma \propto Y^0_1[/itex], where [itex]Y^m_l[/itex] are the spherical harmonics.

the whole Y thing went right past me, but what u said i think clarified my final troubles on this problem. Thank you everyone for the help on this problem :)

1. What are multipole moments in physics?

Multipole moments in physics are a mathematical representation of the distribution of charge or mass in a system. They are used to describe the strength and direction of the electric or gravitational fields of a system, and are often used to simplify complex systems into simpler ones.

2. What is the multipole expansion?

The multipole expansion is a mathematical technique used to approximate the electric or gravitational potential of a system by breaking it down into a sum of multipole moments. This allows for a simpler representation of the system and can be used to solve problems in electromagnetism and gravitation.

3. How are multipole moments calculated?

Multipole moments are calculated by integrating the charge or mass distribution of a system over a certain volume. The resulting integral is then multiplied by a factor, known as the multipole moment coefficient, which depends on the order and orientation of the multipole moment being calculated.

4. What is the significance of multipole moments in physics?

Multipole moments are significant in physics because they allow for a simplified description of complex systems. They are also used in various areas of physics, such as electrostatics, magnetostatics, and general relativity, to solve problems and make predictions about the behavior of systems.

5. How are multipole moments related to the shape of an object?

The multipole moments of a system are directly related to its shape and distribution of mass or charge. For example, an object with a non-spherical shape will have non-zero quadrupole and higher order multipole moments, while a perfectly spherical object will only have a non-zero monopole moment. This relationship between multipole moments and shape is important in understanding the behavior of physical systems.