Multiplying Determinants Practice Problems

In summary, the conversation discusses a practice problem involving 3x3 matrices with given determinants. The person is struggling to find the determinants of certain expressions involving these matrices and wonders if multiplying each row by a constant will help. The expert responds by stating the formula for finding the determinant of a scalar multiple of a matrix.
bowlbase

Homework Statement

This is a practice problem where the solutions are given.
Both are 3x3 matrices.

det A=-2 and det B=1
find the following:
1)det(A6)
2) det(B-1A3B3AT)
3) det(4(AT)2(B-1)4)
4) det((2BT)-1)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I get the first two easily enough, 64 and 16. However, I'm not getting anything near the 256 and 1/8 (answers in order).

I guess it is the multiples of 4 and 2 that are screwing me up. I know that det AT=det A and det A-1=det ##\frac{1}{A}##

I thought maybe making two matrices such that the diagonals multiply to -2 and 1 respectively. So, 1*1*-2 and 1*1*1. Then multiplying each row by 4. Then: 4*4*-8 and 4*4*4.

So the new det would be A=128 and B=64. And then placing them back in the 3rd equation but this clearly doesn't work as 644 is much greater than 1282.

However, if I left it as 1282 divided by 64 then I get the correct answer. I don't know if this is a fluke or not but it seems to me that not taking 64 to the 4th power is counter to the equation.

thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
bowlbase said:

Homework Statement

This is a practice problem where the solutions are given.
Both are 3x3 matrices.

det A=-2 and det B=1
find the following:
1)det(A6)
2) det(B-1A3B3AT)
3) det(4(AT)2(B-1)4)
4) det((2BT)-1)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I get the first two easily enough, 64 and 16. However, I'm not getting anything near the 256 and 1/8 (answers in order).

I guess it is the multiples of 4 and 2 that are screwing me up. I know that det AT=det A and det A-1=det ##\frac{1}{A}##

I thought maybe making two matrices such that the diagonals multiply to -2 and 1 respectively. So, 1*1*-2 and 1*1*1. Then multiplying each row by 4. Then: 4*4*-8 and 4*4*4.

So the new det would be A=128 and B=64. And then placing them back in the 3rd equation but this clearly doesn't work as 644 is much greater than 1282.

However, if I left it as 1282 divided by 64 then I get the correct answer. I don't know if this is a fluke or not but it seems to me that not taking 64 to the 4th power is counter to the equation.

thanks for the help.

If A is an nxn matrix and c is a constant, then det(cA)=c^n*det(A).

Likes 1 person
Thank you so much! I guess we hadn't covered that yet.

What is the definition of multiplying determinants?

Multiplying determinants is the process of finding the product of two or more matrices to create a new matrix.

How do you multiply two determinants?

To multiply two determinants, you need to multiply the corresponding elements in each matrix and then add these products together. For example, if you have two 2x2 matrices, you would multiply the top left elements, then the top right elements, then the bottom left elements, and finally the bottom right elements. You would then add these four products together to get the final determinant.

What is the rule for multiplying determinants?

The rule for multiplying determinants is that the number of columns in the first matrix must be equal to the number of rows in the second matrix. This means that you can only multiply two matrices together if the inner dimensions match. For example, you can multiply a 2x3 matrix by a 3x4 matrix, but you cannot multiply a 2x3 matrix by a 3x5 matrix.

What is the difference between multiplying determinants and multiplying matrices?

Multiplying determinants is a specific type of matrix multiplication that involves finding the product of two or more matrices. In general, multiplying matrices involves finding the product of corresponding elements in the two matrices and adding them together, while multiplying determinants involves a specific set of rules and calculations.

Why is multiplying determinants important in linear algebra?

Multiplying determinants is important in linear algebra because it allows us to solve systems of linear equations and perform other mathematical operations that are necessary in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It also helps us to understand the properties and relationships between different matrices and their elements.