Final Velocity of Multistage Rocket | Homework Equations

• Thread starter GB89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rocket
In summary, the equation for finding the final velocity of a multistage rocket is Final Velocity = V(exhaust) times ln(m0/m) + V(exhaust) times ln(m0/m), with the m0 in the second part of the equation being 6/10 initial mass. This will give a final answer of 0.6931 times the exhaust velocity. Keep up the good work!
GB89

Homework Statement

I need to find the final velocity of a multistage rocket (accelerating from rest in free space) that burns its fuel in two stages. In the first stage, it burns 3/10 of its initial mass as fuel. Then it jettisons its first-stage fuel tank, which has a mass of 1/10 the initial mass of the rocket. Then, it burns 3/10 of its initial mass as fuel.

Homework Equations

I think that the equation is:

Final Velocity = V(exhaust) times ln(m0/m) + V(exhaust) times ln(m0/m).

The Attempt at a Solution

Is the m0 in the second part of the equation 6/10 initial mass, or 9/10 initial mass (does the fuel burned in the first stage get subtracted too)?

I think the answer is V(exhaust) times ln(1/.7) + V(exhaust) times ln(.6/.3), giving a final answer of 1.0498 times the exhaust velocity. Is this correct?

EDIT: PLEASE DISREGARD. I just noticed that this question was answered in a "Similar Thread." My appologies.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question! You are correct in your approach to finding the final velocity of the multistage rocket. However, there is one small error in your equation. The m0 in the second part of the equation should be 6/10 initial mass, as the fuel burned in the first stage does not get subtracted. This means that the correct equation is:

Final Velocity = V(exhaust) times ln(1/.7) + V(exhaust) times ln(.6/.6)

Using this equation, you will get a final answer of 0.6931 times the exhaust velocity.

I hope this helps! Keep up the good work in your studies of rocket propulsion.

1. What is the final velocity of a multistage rocket?

The final velocity of a multistage rocket can be calculated by using the equation Vf = Ve * ln(m0/mf), where Vf is the final velocity, Ve is the exhaust velocity, m0 is the initial mass of the rocket, and mf is the final mass of the rocket.

2. How do the stages of a rocket affect its final velocity?

The stages of a rocket have a significant impact on its final velocity. As each stage is discarded, the rocket becomes lighter, which increases its final velocity according to the equation Vf = Ve * ln(m0/mf). Additionally, each stage may have a different exhaust velocity, which also affects the final velocity.

3. What is the relationship between thrust and final velocity in a multistage rocket?

Thrust and final velocity are indirectly related in a multistage rocket. As the rocket's thrust increases, its acceleration also increases, leading to a higher final velocity. However, this also means that the rocket's fuel is being consumed at a faster rate, causing it to become lighter and potentially reducing its final velocity.

4. Can the final velocity of a multistage rocket be greater than the exhaust velocity?

No, the final velocity of a multistage rocket cannot be greater than the exhaust velocity. The exhaust velocity is the maximum speed at which the rocket's propellant can be expelled, and the final velocity is dependent on this value. Therefore, the final velocity cannot exceed the exhaust velocity.

5. How does the mass ratio affect the final velocity of a multistage rocket?

The mass ratio has a direct impact on the final velocity of a multistage rocket. A higher mass ratio (m0/mf) results in a higher final velocity according to the equation Vf = Ve * ln(m0/mf). This is because a higher mass ratio means that the rocket has a larger initial mass, which leads to a greater difference between the initial and final masses, resulting in a higher final velocity.