1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multistage Rocket

1. Oct 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to find the final velocity of a multistage rocket (accelerating from rest in free space) that burns its fuel in two stages. In the first stage, it burns 3/10 of its initial mass as fuel. Then it jettisons its first-stage fuel tank, which has a mass of 1/10 the initial mass of the rocket. Then, it burns 3/10 of its initial mass as fuel.

2. Relevant equations

I think that the equation is:

Final Velocity = V(exhaust) times ln(m0/m) + V(exhaust) times ln(m0/m).

3. The attempt at a solution

Is the m0 in the second part of the equation 6/10 initial mass, or 9/10 initial mass (does the fuel burned in the first stage get subtracted too)?

I think the answer is V(exhaust) times ln(1/.7) + V(exhaust) times ln(.6/.3), giving a final answer of 1.0498 times the exhaust velocity. Is this correct?

EDIT: PLEASE DISREGARD. I just noticed that this question was answered in a "Similar Thread." My appologies.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?