Multivalued Navier Stokes Solution

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the forum member shared a unique, time-dependent 2D solution to the Navier-Stokes equations using a periodic, bounded, and smooth force. The solution is spatially periodic and has a unique form due to the use of the principal branch of arctan and the periodicity of the force. However, the nonlinear nature of the equations means that small changes in the initial conditions or force can result in different solutions. Overall, the solution presents interesting questions and further exploration is encouraged.
facettedlemon
I was messing around with the Navier-Stokes equations a while ago and I found a time dependent 2D solution. The force I used was periodic, bounded, and smooth. The question I have is with regards to the time functions in the solution. The solution is spatially periodic and has the form:

u = Arctan[(√2/2)*Tan[exp(-t)]]*f(x,y)
v = Arctan[(√2/2)*Tan[exp(-t)]]*g(x,y)
p= p(x,y,t)

t=time, x,y = coordinate directions.

The solution is unique in the "classical sense" because they are the only functions to satisfy the PDE with the given force and IC. However, they are multivalued with respect to time because arctan is a multivalued function. This where I'm confused. Yes, if you follow one arctan curve the solution is single valued, but what's to prevent the solution from jumping from one arctan value to another? The IC doesn't prevent it because arctan can jump to a different curve at any time greater than zero. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your findings with us. Your solution is indeed interesting and raises some valid questions.

Firstly, let me address your concern about the multivalued nature of the arctan function. While it is true that arctan is a multivalued function, in this context we are only concerned with the principal branch of arctan, which is defined as the inverse of the tangent function in the interval (-π/2, π/2). Therefore, in your solution, the arctan function is only taking on values within this interval, ensuring that the solution remains unique and well-defined.

Secondly, the periodic and smooth nature of the force you used also plays a crucial role in ensuring the uniqueness of the solution. The periodicity of the force means that it repeats itself over a certain time interval, which in turn affects the behavior of the solution. In this case, the periodicity of the force results in the solution also being periodic in time, which helps to prevent any jumps or discontinuities.

Lastly, it is worth noting that the Navier-Stokes equations are nonlinear, meaning that small changes in the initial conditions or the force can lead to vastly different solutions. Therefore, while your solution may be unique for the given force and initial conditions, it may not hold for all possible combinations.

I hope this helps to clarify your confusion. Keep exploring and experimenting with the Navier-Stokes equations, as they are a fascinating and important area of study in fluid dynamics. Best of luck in your future research.

1. What is a multivalued Navier Stokes solution?

A multivalued Navier Stokes solution is a mathematical solution that describes the behavior of a fluid in motion. It takes into account factors such as fluid viscosity, density, and velocity to predict how the fluid will move and change over time.

2. Why is a multivalued Navier Stokes solution important?

A multivalued Navier Stokes solution is important because it is used in a wide range of scientific and engineering applications. It can help us understand and predict the behavior of fluids in everything from weather patterns to the flow of blood in our bodies. It is also essential for designing and optimizing fluid systems such as pumps, turbines, and aircraft wings.

3. What are the limitations of a multivalued Navier Stokes solution?

While a multivalued Navier Stokes solution is a powerful tool, it has some limitations. It assumes that the fluid is continuous and homogeneous, and that the flow is steady and laminar. This means it may not accurately predict the behavior of fluids in highly turbulent or complex systems.

4. How is a multivalued Navier Stokes solution calculated?

A multivalued Navier Stokes solution is typically calculated using numerical methods on a computer. These methods involve dividing the fluid into small grid cells and solving equations for each cell based on the values of neighboring cells. The process is repeated until a stable solution is reached.

5. What are some real-world applications of a multivalued Navier Stokes solution?

A multivalued Navier Stokes solution has many practical applications. It is used in weather forecasting, aerodynamics, and hydrodynamics for designing airplanes, cars, and ships. It is also used in biomedical engineering to study blood flow in the body and in the development of new drug delivery systems. Additionally, it is used in environmental and energy systems to optimize processes such as oil extraction and wind turbine design.