Max Value of a Multivariable Function on a Boundary

• Thread starter sjmacewan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Max Value
In summary, the conversation is about solving for the absolute maximum value of a function of two variables. The function is defined on a specific boundary and the partials are computed to determine the critical points. The individual discussing the problem is unsure if all critical points have been found and asks for clarification. Through further explanation, it is determined that the critical points are (1,0) and (-1,0) on the x-axis where the hyperbola intersects.
sjmacewan
OK, I have a question about this problem. I'm solving for the absolute maximum value for a function of two variables. I THINK i know what I'm doing, but feel free to rip into me and tell me that I'm clueless :frown:

The function is
[tex]f(x , y) = \frac{-2x}{x^2+y^2+1}[/tex]

on the boundary of [tex] \left\{\begin{array}{r} 0 \leq x \leq 2\\ \|y\| \leq x \end{array}\right.[/tex]

Anywho, I've computed the partials easily enough
[tex]F_x = \frac{2(x^2-y^2-1)}{(x^2+y^2+1)^2}[/tex]
[tex]F_y = \frac{4xy}{(x^2+y^2+1)^2}[/tex]

So, i set each of those equal to zero to determine when there will be a critical point. So they will occur when:

[tex] \left\{\begin{array}{r} x^2-y^2-1=0\\xy=0 \end{array}\right.[/tex]

So right of the bat I know that (0,0) and (1,0) are critical points. But what I'm not sure of is whether or not that's all of them. I'm pretty sure that it is, but I'm having a bit of trouble convincing myself why non-integer values of x between 0 and 2 won't work.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Think of it in terms of the sets of points where those equations are true. x^2-y^2=1 is true on a hyperbola intersecting the x-axis at +/-1. xy=0 is true when x or y is 0, so along both the x and y axes. So what are the points in both these sets, and in the domain of interest? ( (0,0) isn't a critical point by the way).

i'm afraid that didn't help me too much. I'm not entirely sure i understand what you mean by "So what are the points in both these sets, and in the domain of interest?"

I'm not sure how to get from the end of my first post to having the crit points determined

edit: wait, i see now. It's the points along the x-axis where the hyperbola intersects. So (0,1) and (0,-1) right? because the hyperbola eq'n doesn't interset the y-axis at all.

Last edited:
Right. And you don't care about (0,-1), right?

right :)

thanks a lot for your help StatusX!

wait, those should both be (1,0) and (-1,0) right? Not (0,1)...

Yea, x=1, y=0.

1. What is the definition of a multivariable function?

A multivariable function is a mathematical function that takes in multiple variables as inputs and produces a single output. This is different from a regular function, which only takes in one variable.

2. What is the boundary of a multivariable function?

The boundary of a multivariable function is the set of all possible input values for the variables in the function. It is the edge or limit of the function's domain.

3. Can a multivariable function have a maximum value on its boundary?

Yes, a multivariable function can have a maximum value on its boundary. This occurs when the boundary values produce the highest possible output for the function.

4. How is the maximum value of a multivariable function on its boundary calculated?

The maximum value of a multivariable function on its boundary is typically found by using optimization techniques, such as finding critical points or using the method of Lagrange multipliers. These methods help to identify the maximum value of the function on its boundary.

5. Why is finding the maximum value of a multivariable function on its boundary important?

Finding the maximum value of a multivariable function on its boundary is important because it helps to identify the most optimal value for the function within its given boundaries. This can be useful in various applications, such as optimizing production processes or maximizing profits.