Chances of Getting Into an REU with Math Major & 4.0?

In summary, you are a sophomore math major who has taken multivariable calc, advanced multivariable calc, calculus (intro to analysis), combinatorics, diff eq, intro to pde's, logic/proofs, topology, and linear algebra (mostly computational). You have a 4.0 GPA in these classes and have no research experience. You would like to get into a graduate program in pure math, and are considering applying to summer reu programs. You should apply to at least 3-4 reus, and list your topology class as one of your interests. You should focus on your statements of purpose to make the most impression.
blerg
i'm going into the second semester of my sophomore year. I'm a math major, looking to go to grad school for pure math.

i was just wondering my chances of getting into an reu this summer (anywhere/anytype)

including this upcoming semester i will have taken:
-multivariable calc
-*advanced multivariable calc
-advanced calculus (intro to analysis)
-intro to combinatorics
-diff eq
-intro to pde's
-logic/proofs
-topology
-linear algebra (mostly computational)
-*linear algebra (rigorous)
-*complex analysis
-*differential topology
(*'s are ones that i will am taking this semester)

i have a 4.0 in these math classes, but no research experience.
i could probably get pretty good recommendations.

i would absolutely love to get into an reu, not only as a resume booster, but to get some experience in what i want to pursue as a career. i just wanted to gauge my candidacy.
if it is favorable, any advice? i.e. how many to apply to, where to apply, what to look for

thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

I got into one last year as a freshman with fewer classes than that.

Your coursework looks strong, and sometimes REU's seek to find people who don't have research experience (as the purpose of these NSF programs is, to some extent, to help out students from other institutions when the research opportunities at their home institution are slight or non-existent).

What programs have you applied to?

i haven't applied to any yet. i was just getting ready to start looking at specific programs and filling out applications. (is this somewhat late?)

how many do you think i should apply to?

I'd apply to at least 3-4, possibly more. Look at deadlines... I think as long as you fax it by the deadline you'll be given full consideration.

I'm not directly in the maths... so perhaps others can offer you advice on particular programs. It would help them if you listed some of the maths research areas you might be interested in.. that will help them make suggestions.

my topology class was the class that i was most interested in. however, this is by no means something definite. in fact, i think it would be great to be exposed to something different.

i'm looking through all the different reu sites and there are so many of them.
any advice on how to narrow down my choices?

also, what should i focus on in my statements of purpose?

1. What is an REU?

An REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) is a program funded by the National Science Foundation that provides undergraduate students with the opportunity to participate in research projects and gain hands-on experience in their field of study.

2. Can I apply for an REU if I have a math major and a 4.0 GPA?

Yes, having a math major and a 4.0 GPA can make you a strong candidate for an REU program. However, it is important to note that other factors such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statements also play a significant role in the selection process.

3. Are there any specific requirements for applying to an REU with a math major?

The requirements for applying to an REU program may vary depending on the specific program. However, most programs require applicants to have completed at least one year of college-level math courses and to have a strong academic record in their math courses.

4. How competitive is it to get into an REU with a math major and a 4.0 GPA?

The competition for REU programs can vary, but overall these programs are highly competitive. It is important to have a strong application and to apply to multiple programs to increase your chances of being accepted.

5. Can participating in an REU program help with graduate school applications?

Participating in an REU program can be a valuable experience that can enhance your graduate school applications. Not only does it provide you with research experience, but it also allows you to network with other researchers and gain valuable skills that can make you a strong candidate for graduate programs.