Recommendations for Rigorous Multivariable/Vector Calculus Books

In summary, the conversation revolves around the search for a good multi-variable/vector calculus book. The individual has a reasonable math background and is looking for a rigorous text. Suggestions from other individuals include Tom Apostol's "Calculus: Vol 2" and Spivak's "Calculus on Manifolds", as well as C.H. Edwards Jr.'s "Advanced Calculus of Several Variables" and Hubbard/Hubbard's "Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Differential Forms". The individual is also recommended to learn some linear algebra before delving into vector calculus. There is also mention of another book, "Analysis on Manifolds" by Munkres, which is considered a less dense version of Spivak's text
avec_holl
Does anyone have some suggestions for a good multi-variable/vector calculus book? I have a fairly reasonable math background - managed to self-teach myself calculus through Micahael Spivak's text Calculus pretty successfully - and I'm looking for something that's fairly rigorous. One of my math teachers recommended either Tom Apostol's text Calculus: Vol 2 or Spivak's text Calculus on Manifolds but I'm not sure if these texts are going to be beyond me (mathematically speaking). Price isn't really an issue but a cheaper text would be nicer. So, does anyone have some suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Spivak is extremely dense. You might take a look at C. H. Edwards, Jr. Advanced Calculus of Several Variables, which is friendlier.

Spivak's "Calculus on Manifolds" is an excellent text, although it is better complemented if you learn some vector calculus first. I like Hubbard/Hubbard's "Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Differential Forms" myself.

I just looked into Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Differential Forms and it looks like an excellent textbook - very well reviewed. Thanks for the suggestion!

You might also want to take a look at Vector Calculus by Marsden and Tromba, although lots of proofs of theorems are omitted (or only accessible on a website).
Do you know any linear algebra? Apostol's Vol.2 covers that. Keep in mind that Apostol's Vol.2 and Spivak's Calculus on Manifolds cover completely different subjects, so I wonder why your math teacher recommended one of those (as if they were interchangeable). If you think Spivak is too dense, there is this book Analysis on Manifolds by Munkres, which essentially is an expanded (less dense) version of Spivak.

What is Multivariable Calculus?

Multivariable calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of several variables. It extends the concepts of single-variable calculus, such as derivatives and integrals, to functions of multiple variables. It is an important tool in many fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer graphics.

What are the key topics covered in Multivariable Calculus?

The key topics covered in Multivariable Calculus include vectors, vector-valued functions, partial derivatives, multiple integrals, line integrals, surface integrals, and vector fields. These concepts are used to study functions of multiple variables and their properties, such as local extrema, optimization, and integration over higher-dimensional regions.

What are some popular Multivariable Calculus books?

Some popular Multivariable Calculus books include "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, "Vector Calculus" by Jerrold E. Marsden and Anthony J. Tromba, "Multivariable Calculus" by Ron Larson and Bruce H. Edwards, and "Multivariable Calculus" by William G. McCallum, Deborah Hughes-Hallett, and Andrew M. Gleason. These books cover the key topics of Multivariable Calculus and provide a comprehensive understanding of the subject.

What are the prerequisites for studying Multivariable Calculus?

The prerequisites for studying Multivariable Calculus include a solid understanding of single-variable calculus, including differentiation and integration, as well as basic algebra and trigonometry. It is also helpful to have a strong foundation in geometry, vectors, and linear algebra.

How can I use Multivariable Calculus in real life?

Multivariable Calculus has many practical applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer graphics. It is used to model and analyze complex systems, such as fluid flow, electric fields, economic markets, and 3D graphics. It is also used in optimization problems, such as finding the most efficient route for a delivery truck or designing an optimal structure for a building.