1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multivariable Calculus Homework Help Please

1. Apr 1, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

See in picture

2. Relevant equations

What is the final answer?

3. The attempt at a solution

I know dw/du = df/dx * dx/du + df/dy * dy/du

& that dx/du = -8sinu & dy/du = -4sinvsinu

Stumped on how to get df/dx and df/dy

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

It seems odd to me that the question is asking for wu(##\pi/2, 0##) when the partials they give you are evaluated at (0, 0). Unless there's something I'm not thinking of, I would say that there is a typo in the problem.

4. Apr 1, 2014 #3
    nope, I asked my prof because I was confused too, but he said that is how it is.

5. Apr 1, 2014 #4
    I thought the same until I got my head screwed on straight and realized ##w_u(\pi/2, 0)=w_u|_{(u,v)=(\pi/2, 0)}## and that ##x(\pi/2, 0)=y(\pi/2, 0)=0##.

So the more "complete" form of the chain rule that applies here is $$w_u(u,v)=\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\Big(x(u,v),y(u,v)\Big)\frac{\partial x}{\partial u}(u,v)+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\Big(x(u,v),y(u,v)\Big)\frac{\partial y}{\partial u}(u,v)$$ or $$w_u(u,v)=f_x\Big(x(u,v),y(u,v)\Big)x_u(u,v)+f_y\Big(x(u,v),y(u,v)\Big)y_u(u,v)$$

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  6. Apr 1, 2014 #5
    But the final answer is supposed to be a number, wouldn't this give me a answer in coordinates?

7. Apr 1, 2014 #6
    What would you get if you plugged in ##\pi/2## for ##u## and ##0## for ##v##?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted