1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multivariable Calculus

1. May 11, 2005 #1
    Let S be the surface given by the equation 9x^2 + y^2 − z^2 − 2y + 2z = 1, Show that the straight line r(t) = <1, 1, 1> + t<1, 0, 0> is normal to the surface S at the points of intersection.

I set both equations equal to each other and I found their points of intersection are (1/3,1,1) and (-1/3,1,1). But I don't know where to go from there. :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2005 #2
    Compute the derivative of the equ. of the surface with respect to the variables. Those are the tengential directions, the cross product is hence giving the normal at a given point...then it should be easy

4. May 11, 2005 #3

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Or compute the tangent planes at the points of intersection and show the line is perpendicular to the planes.

5. May 11, 2005 #4

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

the normal vector to a surface f= 0 is the gradient of f at the given point.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?