1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multivariable calculus

1. Jun 10, 2014 #1
    I am currently reading baby Rudin, but I only know single-variable calculus at the moment, so I think it would be a good idea to learn the multi-variable stuff non-rigorously before I do the analysis in Rudin (chapters 9-11).

So I was thinking of either getting one of the many 'Mathematical methods for...' books or 'Calculus vol.2' by Apostol. Which would be better?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2014 #2

verty

Homework Helper

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Jun 10, 2014 #3
    Yes, I was planning on doing that, I thought it might be quite difficult to learn it straight from Rudin though. I'll see how it goes.

5. Jun 10, 2014 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Apostol is pretty rigorous and it will take you quite a while to hack your way through. If you want a less rigorous but really excellent introduction, get Lang's Calculus of Several Variables.

Neither Apostol nor Lang does differential forms, though, and Rudin would be a horrible place to learn this (or any of the material in chapters 9-11, for that matter). An alternative would be Hubbard's Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Differential Forms: A Unified Approach, which I have not read but which has a very good reputation. Personally I don't see the point of trying to learn differential forms without having learned the "classical" treatment as in Lang, but that's just my preference.

If I recall correctly, Rudin does measure theory and Lebesgue integration in chapter 10 and/or 11. None of the above books will help you with this, and I would NOT advise learning it from Rudin. Almost any other book covering this material will be a better choice. A nice efficient (but expensive) choice would be Bartle's The Elements of Integration and Lebesgue Measure.

6. Jun 11, 2014 #5
    I'd skip chapters 9-11 of Rudin. The materials are better treated elsewhere.

You'll need vol 1 and vol 2 of Apostol for complete treatment of multivariable calculus.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted