Best Books on Multivariable Calculus: Affordable Options

In summary: DFunctions%2Bof%2BSeveral%2BVariables%26sortby%3D3%26an%3Dfleming%26y%3D0In summary, there are several options for finding books on multivariable calculus at a reasonable price. One option is to check out the book "Functions of Several Variables" by Wendell H. Fleming, which is being sold for $8.97 at the Treasure Chest bookstore in Portland, OR. Another option is to purchase the two-volume set "Differential and Integral Calculus" by Richard Courant for $20.00 at Logos Books in Davis, CA. Additionally, the website abebooks.com offers
yourdadonapogostick
i need some suggestions on books on multivariable calculus. preferably not too expensive.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hard to beat this one:

Functions of Several Variables
Fleming, Wendell H.; Very good condition, Very clean,

Bookseller:
Treasure Chest
(Portland, OR, U.S.A.) Book Price:
US$ 8.97
hwolff@comcast.net

or this pair:

Differential and Integral Calculus Vols 1 and 2
Courant, Richard

Bookseller:
Logos Books
(Davis, CA, U.S.A.) Book Price:
US$ 20.00

Last edited:
so what? That is a new copy. I am finding you used copies, precisely because they are cheaper.

you can tell it is used because the condition is given, very good.

anyone can find a retail copy. that's why i gave you a specific bookseller and a specific book.

are you unfamiliar with the great site: abebooks.com?

Last edited:
you didn't say how to get it at that price.

no, i am not familiar with that site.

try the site. or maybe i can find the address of the bokseller for you. you could also google that bookseller.

1. What is multivariable calculus?

Multivariable calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of several variables, as opposed to single-variable calculus which deals with functions of a single variable. It involves the study of how these functions change and interact with each other in three-dimensional space.

2. Why is it important to study multivariable calculus?

Multivariable calculus is essential in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It provides a powerful tool for modeling and solving real-world problems that involve multiple variables. It also helps in understanding the fundamental principles of calculus and builds a strong foundation for further studies in mathematics and related fields.

3. What are some affordable options for books on multivariable calculus?

Some affordable options for books on multivariable calculus include "Multivariable Calculus" by James Stewart, "Vector Calculus" by Susan Jane Colley, "Calculus: Multivariable" by Deborah Hughes-Hallett, and "Multivariable Calculus" by Ron Larson and Bruce Edwards. These books are widely used in universities and are available at reasonable prices.

4. What should I look for in a good book on multivariable calculus?

A good book on multivariable calculus should have a clear and concise presentation of concepts, a good balance between theory and applications, and plenty of examples and exercises for practice. It should also have a comprehensive index and a list of references for further reading.

5. Can I learn multivariable calculus on my own using a book?

Yes, it is possible to learn multivariable calculus on your own using a book. However, it is recommended to have a strong understanding of single-variable calculus before delving into multivariable calculus. It is also important to work through the examples and exercises in the book and seek help from online resources or a tutor if needed.