Multivariable chain rule and differentiability

In summary: F, we can use it to determine if F has a relative minimum, relative maximum, or saddle point at (0,0).To answer your final question, yes, the tangent plane to f(x,y) = xy at (0,0) is the plane z=0. This is because the tangent plane at a point (x0,y0) on a surface given by z=f(x,y) is given by the equation:z = f(x0,y0) + ∂f/∂x (x-x0) + ∂f/∂y (y-y0)In this case, at (0,0), we have f(0,0) = 0 and both partial
tomelwood

Homework Statement

Hi I'm currently trying to revise for a Calculus exam, and have very little idea of how to do the following:
Let f be defined by f(x,y) = (y+e^x, sin(x+y))
Let g be of class C2 (twice differentiable with continuous second derivatives) with grad(g)(1,0) = (1,-1) and Hg(1,0) = [tex]\left(\stackrel{2}{0}\stackrel{0}{0}\right)[/tex]
Consider F=gof (g composition f)
Prove that F is differentiable on the whole of [tex]\textbf{R}[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex]. Calculate dF(x,y) with respect to the partial derivatives of g.
Study if F has an extreme at (0,0)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Like I said, I'm not really sure what to do here. I know that that Hessian matrix means that g[tex]_{xx}[/tex] (1,0) = 2, and the other second derivatives are 0, and that the grad being (1,-1) means that g[tex]_{x}[/tex](1,0) = 1 and g[tex]_{y}[/tex](1,0) = -1, but I don't know what I can do with this.

Or is it just a case of saying that f is differentiable on the whole plane (since y+e^x and sin(x+y) are both differentiable on the whole plane, aren't they?), and g is of class C2, so also differentiable on the whole plane??
But then how do I continue to calculate the derivative of F? If the above even makes sense, which I doubt.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

(Also, while I'm here, is the tangent plane to f(x,y) = xy at (0,0) the plane z=0? Thanks.)

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question and for sharing your thoughts on the problem. I can understand your confusion, as this problem does involve some advanced concepts in multivariable calculus. Let me try to break it down for you and provide some guidance on how to approach it.

Firstly, as you mentioned, both f(x,y) and g(x,y) are differentiable on the whole plane, so we can assume that F(x,y) will also be differentiable on the whole plane. However, we need to show this rigorously by using the definition of differentiability.

To prove that F is differentiable on the whole plane, we need to show that the limit of (F(x,y)-F(a,b))/(x-a) and (F(x,y)-F(a,b))/(y-b) exists as (x,y) approaches (a,b). This limit will be equal to the partial derivatives of F with respect to x and y, respectively.

To calculate these partial derivatives, we can use the chain rule. For example, to find the partial derivative of F with respect to x, we can write:

∂F/∂x = ∂g/∂x * ∂f/∂x + ∂g/∂y * ∂f/∂y

We already know the values of ∂g/∂x and ∂g/∂y at (1,0) from the given information. To find ∂f/∂x and ∂f/∂y, we can use the partial derivatives of f(x,y) that are given in the problem. Similarly, we can find ∂F/∂y using the same approach.

Once we have found these partial derivatives, we can use them to construct the Jacobian matrix of F, which will be a 2x2 matrix. This matrix will represent the linear transformation given by the partial derivatives of F at any point (a,b). We can then use this matrix to find the directional derivative of F in any direction at any point.

Now, to study if F has an extreme at (0,0), we can use the second derivative test. We already know the value of the Hessian matrix of g at (1,0) from the given information. We can use this to find the Hessian matrix of F at (0,0) by using the chain rule again. Once we have the H

What is the multivariable chain rule?

The multivariable chain rule is a mathematical rule that describes how to take the derivative of a composite function that has multiple variables. It is used to find the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while another variable is changing.

What is the difference between partial derivatives and the multivariable chain rule?

Partial derivatives are used to find the rate of change of a multivariable function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant. The multivariable chain rule is used to find the derivative of a composite function with multiple variables. In other words, the multivariable chain rule combines multiple partial derivatives to find the overall derivative.

Why is differentiability important in the multivariable chain rule?

Differentiability is important in the multivariable chain rule because it ensures that the rate of change of a function can be accurately calculated. If a function is not differentiable at a certain point, the multivariable chain rule cannot be applied and alternative methods must be used.

What are some real-life applications of the multivariable chain rule and differentiability?

The multivariable chain rule and differentiability are used in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. For example, in physics, the multivariable chain rule is used to calculate the velocity and acceleration of a moving object. In economics, it is used to analyze the relationship between multiple variables such as price, demand, and supply. In engineering, it is used to optimize complex systems by finding the rate of change of multiple variables.

Are there any limitations to the multivariable chain rule and differentiability?

Yes, there are limitations to the multivariable chain rule and differentiability. These methods can only be applied to differentiable functions, meaning that the function must be continuous and have a well-defined derivative at the given point. Additionally, the multivariable chain rule may become more complex and difficult to apply with an increasing number of variables.