Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multivariable class, we'll be starting curvature

1. Aug 31, 2005 #1
    Next week in my multivariable class, we'll be starting curvature, and, nerd that I am, I looked ahead to learn it ahead of time. I can usually at least understand the basics of a new concpet by myself, but curvature really threw me off. Maybe my brain's not right for it, maybe the book sucks, but I know my teacher sucks, so I'm pretty much going to have to learn it myself.

I know that curvature is [itex]\kappa=|d\phi/ds|[/itex], where [itex]\phi[/itex] is the angle between the curve's tangent vector and the horizontal, and s is the arc length.

I also get that the way to do this is to make it [itex]\kappa=|d\phi/dt/(ds/dt)|[/itex], I get lost, however, in actually finding a good equation for [itex]\phi[/itex].

Does anyone have any tips, resources, or advice?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2005 #2
    From what I've learned, that equation is hard to work with. Have you seen it as this?:

It's much easier to work with (r is the position vector). To show that the two definitions are equal, use the following fact:

4. Aug 31, 2005 #3
    That's a lot better :D . Thanks! That actually makes sense in a twisted sort of way, and it's a lot easier to use.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?