Multivariable Functions & their Integrals

In summary, the conversation discusses resources for learning about multivariable functions and their geometric visualization, 2 and 3 dimensional graphs, derivatives, integrals, and more. Some recommended resources include the book "Vector Calculus" by Marsden and Tromba, as well as the Edwards/Penney book with interactive online features. The conversation also touches on the subject of Calculus III and the idea of mathematics as a universal language.
iSamer
Hi to all,
Anyone knows sites or got online books that would help a student like me learn all about multivariable functions & their geometric visualization, 2 and 3 diminsional graphs, derivatives, integrals, and more explination?

Physics news on Phys.org
Check up on the topic of "Vector Calculus".
There are tons of books on these issues, Marsden&Tromba's "Vector Calculus" is the one I used first; I liked that one.

i had the edwards/penney book, which has lots of pictures & computer graphics, etc in it. they've got a website here:
http://cwx.prenhall.com/bookbind/pubbooks/esm_edwards_calc-cd-iv_6/

the site has a bunch of interactive stuff on it with graphics & whatnot where you can move surfaces around, etc. you've got to download a plugin for that stuff, i don't know if that would be a problem or what

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh well, thanks for your help. I'll be checking the resourses...
I hope I'll get along with my Math course... it's Calculus III, but I enjoy this course.
It's nice and weird how you go into multi-dimensional calculus, applied all your simple one diminsion calculation... it's feels your going deeper...
Personally I think Mathematics is the mother of all languages... :wink:

1. What is a multivariable function?

A multivariable function is a mathematical function that takes multiple variables as inputs and produces a single output. It can be written in the form f(x, y) where x and y are the variables. Multivariable functions are used to model real-world phenomena that depend on more than one factor.

2. What is the difference between a multivariable function and a single variable function?

A single variable function takes only one variable as an input, while a multivariable function takes multiple variables as inputs. This means that the output of a single variable function is a single value, while the output of a multivariable function is a set of values that depends on the input values of all the variables.

3. What is an integral of a multivariable function?

An integral of a multivariable function is a mathematical operation that finds the area under the surface of the function in a given region of the input variables. It is used to calculate the total value of a function over a specified domain.

4. How do you find the integrals of multivariable functions?

To find the integrals of multivariable functions, you can use various techniques such as double or triple integrals, change of variables, and integration by parts. It is important to carefully consider the limits of integration and the appropriate integration method for the function at hand.

5. What is the importance of multivariable functions and their integrals in real-life applications?

Multivariable functions and their integrals are essential in many scientific and engineering fields, such as physics, economics, and engineering. They are used to model complex phenomena and make predictions about real-world systems. For example, they are used in economics to model supply and demand curves, and in physics to calculate the total force on an object in a three-dimensional space.