1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multivariable limit

1. Sep 28, 2009 #1
    I'm taking multi-variable after having a while off from school, so forgive me if these are simple ones that I just don't "see"

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    lim (x, y) --> 0, 0 [tex]\frac{x^2 y^2 e^y}{x^4+4y^2}[/tex]

and

lim (x, y) --> (1, 1) [tex]\frac{x-y}{x^3-y}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The bottom one I feel doesn't exist because as x->0+, the ^3 is making it larger, where as when x->0-, the ^3 is making it smaller. I know this is poor logic; it's just a gut feeling about it. substituting y=mx or similar didn't get me anywhere. Plugging obviously doesn't work. I don't see anyway to simplify, but maybe there is a way. I also don't think polar coordinates will work for either.

I really think I only need a hint to the method of solution, so don't go solving the whole thing for me.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For the bottom one, suppose you approach along the path y=x^3? For the top one you don't have to worry about the factor e^y, why not? Can you handle the rest?

4. Sep 28, 2009 #3
    For the top one, e^y -->1 as y->0. I wasn't sure if saying that and then doing the rest of the limit was a legal move. Should be easy now (I see one way by polar coordinates and then squeeze theorem, I think)

For the bottom one, I tried that, but doesn't that just 'break' the function--as in, we can't tell what it will be by that method? The way I thought the "two different limits for two different paths" property worked was that it would only work if you found two actual different paths. Taking y=x^3 makes one path not exist; is that enough to make the limit of the function not exist?

5. Sep 28, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the function has a limit, it has to approach that limit along all paths. If the function doesn't even exist along a path, then the limit doesn't exist. If you think about what's happening 'close' to the path y=x^3 then you'll see the function becomes large without bound.

6. Sep 28, 2009 #5
    ha, I had already went back and put it on paper, and as soon as I did the behavior 'close' to y=x^3 became clear. thanks! hopefully my brain will uncrustify itself soon...

7. Sep 30, 2009 #6
    follow up on the bottom one: Subbing y=x^3 will not work because it is not within the definition of a limit. However, comparing the substitutions y=x and y=1 does work to prove that it indeed DNE.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook