Exploring Multivariable Limits with CAS: A Mathematica Example

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a CAS (computer algebra system) to compute multivariable limits. The individual has access to Mathematica, Derive, and an HP 50g and is seeking guidance on how to use these tools to calculate the limit of an expression. The example given involves the limit of x^2/y as (x,y) approaches (0,0). It is pointed out that the limit does not exist, but a Mathematica user suggests using contour plots as a visual aid before attempting to calculate the limit.
springo

Homework Statement

I would like to be able to compute multivariable limits with a CAS. I have Mathematica, Derive and an HP 50g.
For example, how would I compute:
[tex]\lim_{(x,y)\rightarrow(0,0)}\frac{x^2}{y}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

On Mathematica I tried:
Code:
Limit[x^2/y, {x, y} -> {0, 0}]
(doesn't work)
Code:
Limit[x^2/y /. {y -> f[x]}, x -> 0]
(I think this could work, but I need to figure out what f[x] has to be)

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The limit in your example does not exist (it is undefined), because it depends on how you approach (0,0). For example, f(t,t)->0 as t->0 from the right, but f(sqrt(t),t)->1 as t->0 from the right.

yyat said:
The limit in your example does not exist (it is undefined), because it depends on how you approach (0,0). For example, f(t,t)->0 as t->0 from the right, but f(sqrt(t),t)->1 as t->0 from the right.
OK, sorry for choosing a wrong example, I'm just starting multivariable calculus. Anyway for existing limits, is there any way to compute them using a CAS?

Here's a nice little example using mathematica. Contour Plots are typically a good way to infer whether a limit exists before you go ahead and calculate it.

1. What is a multivariable limit?

A multivariable limit is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as the values of multiple variables approach a certain point. It is used to determine the value of a function at a specific point in a multi-dimensional space.

2. How is a multivariable limit calculated?

A multivariable limit can be calculated by evaluating the function at different points that approach the given point from all directions. This can be done manually or with the help of a computer algebra system (CAS).

3. What is a computer algebra system (CAS)?

A computer algebra system is a software program designed to perform complex mathematical calculations and operations, including solving equations, manipulating algebraic expressions, and graphing functions.

4. How can a CAS help with multivariable limits?

A CAS can help with multivariable limits by providing a more efficient and accurate way to calculate the limit. It can handle complex expressions and multiple variables, making it easier to evaluate the function at various points and determine the limit.

5. What are the benefits of using a CAS for multivariable limits?

Using a CAS for multivariable limits can save time and reduce the chances of errors compared to manual calculations. It also allows for a better understanding of the behavior of a function in multi-dimensional space, as the CAS can graph the function and show the limit visually.