Limit of Multivariable Function: x^2+y^2+2xy

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the limit of a function in polar coordinates and how the limit depends on theta. The conclusion is that the limit does not exist as it gives different values for different values of theta.
fogel1497

Homework Statement

Find the limit of:
(x^2+y^2+2xy)/(x^2+y^2)

Homework Equations

x = r*cos(theta)
y= r*sin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

So what I did was change to polar coordinates. Then it simplifies to:

(r^2 + 2r^2cos(theta)sin(theta) )/r^2

Factoring out an r^2 from everything you get:
1 + 2cos(theta)sin(theta)

And the limit as r and theta go to zero would appear to be 1. However if I plug in numbers very close to zero on my calculator it tells me that the limit is 2. Little help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your limit depends on theta. That means the limit is different as you approach (0,0) in different ways. E.g. if you approach along the x axis, x=t, y=0 (theta=0), you get 1. If you approach along a line x=t, y=t, (theta=pi/4) you get 2. What does this tell you about the existence of the limit?

It doesn't exist? So when i do that method if I find i have thetas in my answer then the limit does not exist?

If you get different answers for different values of theta, yes, the limit does not exist.

1. What is the definition of a limit for a multivariable function?

A limit for a multivariable function is a value that a function approaches as the input values approach a certain point or path. It is denoted by the notation lim f(x,y) as x and y approach a specific value.

2. How do you determine the limit of a multivariable function at a point?

To determine the limit of a multivariable function at a point, you can use the definition of a limit or you can evaluate the function at various points near the given point and observe the trend of the function's values.

3. What is the significance of the limit of a multivariable function?

The limit of a multivariable function is important in calculus because it helps us understand the behavior of a function near a specific point. It also allows us to define continuity and differentiability of a function at a given point.

4. Can the limit of a multivariable function exist but the function not be continuous?

Yes, it is possible for the limit of a multivariable function to exist but the function not be continuous at that point. This can occur if there is a jump or hole in the graph of the function at that point.

5. How do you find the limit of a multivariable function algebraically?

To find the limit of a multivariable function algebraically, you can use various techniques such as substitution, factoring, and rationalization. You can also use properties of limits and algebraic manipulation to simplify the function and evaluate the limit at a given point.