1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multivariable sketch

1. Jan 20, 2006 #1
    Here is the problem i'm having some trouble with. The answer is fairly simple, it is the power of the e function. (the parabola x = y^2 + 1) i'm not sure how to get that, i could use some hints/help, thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2006 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

Think about what values for the power of an exponent give a result greater than one.

4. Jan 21, 2006 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Are you aware that "The answer is fairly simple, it is the power of the e function. (the parabola x = y^2 + 1)" is NOT precisely true? That is, the region you are asked to sketch is NOT the parabola itself. The parabola is a boundary of the region. Indeed if you think about the fact that "power of the e function" is NOT x= y^2+ 1 nor a parabola, you might see what StatusX means!

5. Jan 21, 2006 #4

benorin

Homework Helper

I'll be kind: recall that [tex]e^w \geq 1[/tex] if, and only if, [tex]w\geq 0,[/tex] that is, if, and only if the exponent of e is greater than or equal to 0. You are asked to find (and sketch) all points in xy-plane (e.g. all values of x and y) such that [tex]e^{1-x+y^{2}}\geq 1,[/tex] which occurs if, and only if, [tex]1-x+y^{2}\geq 0[/tex] which describes the region in the xy-plane bounded by (and to the left of) the parabola [tex]x=1+y^{2}[/tex].

6. Jan 21, 2006 #5
    ohh, i see, i forgot that to get thats how to get the entire function greater than 1, i get it now, thanks everyone!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?