1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multivariate Chain Rule

1. Nov 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [itex] h(u,v) = f(a(u,v), b(u,v))[/itex], where [itex] a_u = b_v[/itex] and [itex]a_v = -b_u[/itex].
    Show that [itex]h_{uu} + h_{vv} = (f_{xx} + f_{yy}) (a^2_u + a^2_v)[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution I suppose my first question is where the x's and y's come from. (I thought at first it was a typo in the problem, but this type of setup appears in several other exercises in the book).
    To try to make it easier to understand I tried letting the a's and x's and b's be y's so that we get [itex]h(u,v) = f(x(u,v), y(u,v)) [/itex], but then I realized that to prove the result we need apparently both a's, b's, x's and y's.

To compute [itex]h_{uu}[/itex] we would begin by getting [itex]h_u[/itex], but I'm having trouble figuring this out since I think all the letters are tripping me up.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2013 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

x=a(u,v) and y=b(u,v)

First revisit the simple chain rule:

y = g(f(x)) which we can write as y = g(u) with u=f(x)

dy/dx = dg/du * du/dx

and so in your case they want you to compute the second derivative of h

ph/pu = pf/px * px/pu + pf/py * py/pu (think p as the partial derivative operator)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted