1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multivariate ε-δ proof

1. Aug 10, 2012 #1

Zondrina

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that : (x^4+y^4)/(x^2+y^2) < ε if 0 < x^2 + y^2 < δ^2 for a suitably chosen δ depending on ε.

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\forall[/itex]ε>0, [itex]\exists[/itex]δ>0 | 0 < (x^2 + y^2)^(1/2) < δ [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] |f(x,y) - L| < ε

Obviously here were dealing with lim (x,y)→(0,0) f(x,y) = 0 so the following statement is equivalent and more convenient to use in my opinion:

[itex]\forall[/itex]ε>0, [itex]\exists[/itex]δ>0 | 0 < |x|,|y| < δ [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] |f(x,y) - L| < ε

3. The attempt at a solution

So we know : |x| < δ [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] x^2<δ^2 and also |y|<δ [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] y^2<δ^2

And using the triangle inequality we also consider : |x^4 + y^4| ≤ |x|^4 + |y|^4

So putting those together we observe :

|f(x,y) - L| = |(x^4+y^4)/(x^2+y^2)| ≤ (|x|^4 + |y|^4)/(|x|^2 + |y|^2) < 2δ^4/2δ^2 = δ^2 ≤ ε

[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] δ = [itex]\sqrt{ε}[/itex]

Now that I have my δ, I could go through and prove that it was the right δ, but I have one problem. The book says that δ = [itex]\sqrt{ε/2}[/itex] so I'm wondering where I went wrong or is this a typo in the book? If it helps I also tried using the other statement 0 < (x^2+y^2)^(1/2) < δ and got the right answer, but I'm not sure why I'm wrong about this other method?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2012 #2
    Although I agree with your choice of [itex]\delta=\sqrt{\epsilon}[/itex], I disagree with some of your calculations.

Your statement of limit is incorrect here. If should read [itex]0< ||(x,y)||<\delta \Rightarrow |f(x,y)|<\epsilon.[/itex]

Where I have taken your L to be zero, as is the question.

This is true, but it is not necessary that we require |x| < δ and |y| < δ since this follows whenever [itex]||(x,y)||<\delta[/itex]. Again, this is just a clarification. I more so wish to emphasize that whatever limit definition you used above was incorrectly copied down.

This is fine. However, triangle inequality is not required since x^4 and y^4 are both positive.

The second to last inequality does not follow. In general, we have the following:
    [tex] (x^2+y^2)<\delta \Rightarrow 1/\delta<1/(x^2+y^2). [/tex]
    However, you have (falsely) assumed
    [tex] (x^2+y^2)<\delta \Rightarrow 1/(x^2+y^2)<1/\delta[/tex]
    or something of that form.

A quick way to prove the end result would be to, first, drop those abolute values (since |x|^2=x^2, etc.), and then notice that [itex]x^4+y^4=(x^2+y^2)^2-2x^2y^2[/itex], and work from there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook