1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multivariate taylor

1. Apr 26, 2008 #1

gop

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Calculate the taylor polynom of order 3 at (0,0,0) of the function with well-known series (that means I can't just take the derivatives)

[tex]f(x,y,z)=\sqrt{e^{-x}+\sin y+z^{2}}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I wrote the functions within the square root as taylor polynomials and got

[tex]f(x,y,z)=\sqrt{1+-x+\frac{1}{2}x^{2}-\frac{1}{6}x^{3}+y-\frac{1}{6}y^{3}+z^{2}}[/tex]

But then I don't really know how to "remove" the square root. I already tried to just plug the term inside the square root in the taylor expansion of [tex]\sqrt{1+x}[/tex] but that didn't really work out very well.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why did you do that? What not just write [itex]f(x,y,z)= (e^{-x}+ sin(y)+ z^2)^{1/2}[itex] and calculate the derivatives?

4. Apr 27, 2008 #3

benorin

Homework Helper

Reference The formula for the Taylor series expansion of [itex]f(x,y,z)[/itex] about the point [itex](x_0,y_0,z_0)[/itex] is

[tex]f(x,y,z)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\sum_{j=0}^{\infty} \frac{\partial ^{n+k+j}f (x_0,y_0,z_0)}{\partial x^{n}\partial y^{k}\partial z^{j}} \cdot\frac{(x-x_0)^{n}}{n!} \cdot\frac{(y-y_0)^{k}}{k!}\cdot\frac{(z-z_0)^{j}}{j!} [/tex]​

Use To compute the Tayor polynomial of order 3, only write out the terms for which [itex]n+k+j\le 3[/itex].

5. Apr 27, 2008 #4

gop

As stated I have to use "well-known series" to arrive at the taylor polynomial; thus, I'm not allowed to just take derivatives.

6. Apr 27, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Sorry, I missed reading that part!

Okay, what is the Taylor's series for [iitex]\sqrt{x}[/itex]?

7. Apr 27, 2008 #6

gop

I can't really calculate the taylor series at x=0 because the derivatives is then of the form 1/0 and doesn't exist. I already tried sqrt(1+x) but that didn't produce a correct result.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?