Understanding the Joint Distribution of Balls in an Urn

• Thread starter michaelxavier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Multivariate
In summary, the joint distribution of the numbers of black, red, and white balls in the sample is a multivariate hypergeometric distribution. The joint distribution of the numbers of black and white balls in the sample is the same as the joint distribution in part a), since the number of red balls is fixed by the total number of balls chosen. This is because there are only three colors in the urn. If there were more colors, the joint distribution for part b) would be different.
michaelxavier

Homework Statement

An urn contains $p$ black balls, $q$ white balls, and $r$ red balls; and $n$ balls are chosen without replacement.
a. Find the joint distribution of the numbers of black, red, and white balls in the sample.
b. Find the joint distribution of the numbers of black and white balls in the sample.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a. I've done this part; it's a simple multivariate hypergeometric distribution.
b. This is what confuses me. When you're not including all variables, wouldn't this be called a MARGINAL distribution--so what is the joint distribution? If it said "marginal distribution" I could do that by summing over the possibilities for red.
And isn't this be the same as (a), since when you've found the number of black and white balls, the number of red balls is fixed by $n$...
I'm very confused, thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
michaelxavier said:

Homework Statement

An urn contains $p$ black balls, $q$ white balls, and $r$ red balls; and $n$ balls are chosen without replacement.
a. Find the joint distribution of the numbers of black, red, and white balls in the sample.
b. Find the joint distribution of the numbers of black and white balls in the sample.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a. I've done this part; it's a simple multivariate hypergeometric distribution.
b. This is what confuses me. When you're not including all variables, wouldn't this be called a MARGINAL distribution--so what is the joint distribution? If it said "marginal distribution" I could do that by summing over the possibilities for red.
And isn't this be the same as (a), since when you've found the number of black and white balls, the number of red balls is fixed by $n$...
I'm very confused, thanks for your help!

You have it exactly right: the answers to a) and b) are the same. That is true because there are only three colours; if there were 4 or more colours it would not be true; can you see why?

What is the Multivariate Urn Problem?

The Multivariate Urn Problem is a mathematical problem that involves selecting objects from multiple urns with different numbers of colored balls. It is often used in statistics and probability to model real-world scenarios.

What are the key assumptions in the Multivariate Urn Problem?

The Multivariate Urn Problem assumes that the balls are selected randomly, with replacement, and that the number of balls in each urn remains constant throughout the experiment. It also assumes that the probability of selecting a particular colored ball is the same for each urn.

How is the Multivariate Urn Problem solved?

The Multivariate Urn Problem can be solved using various statistical techniques, such as Monte Carlo simulations, Markov chains, or combinatorial methods. The specific method used will depend on the complexity and specific conditions of the problem.

What are some real-world applications of the Multivariate Urn Problem?

The Multivariate Urn Problem has many real-world applications, including in genetics, finance, and market research. For example, it can be used to model the likelihood of genetic traits being passed down from parents to offspring, the distribution of stock prices, or consumer behavior in purchasing different products.

How can the Multivariate Urn Problem be extended to more complex scenarios?

The Multivariate Urn Problem can be extended to more complex scenarios by adding additional constraints or variables, such as different probabilities for selecting different colored balls or varying numbers of balls in each urn. It can also be extended to multiple dimensions, such as selecting objects from multiple categories or with multiple attributes.