Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multiverse theory

1. Apr 10, 2003 #1
    In one of the multiverse theories I think that I am right in saying that there are an infinite number of universes created from each possible event. If this is so then surely extremely wierd events must happen in some of the unvierses so why not ours?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2003 #2
    Philosophically speaking, you could say that the events in our universe are the ones that are actually "strange".

We should also realize that somethings are just impossible, and thus the infinite other universes are probably not all as eccentric as you might think.
  4. Apr 10, 2003 #3
    I can't really come to terms with the Multiverse theory, because it means that with infinite universes, there are infinite variables, and so that in another universe a certain law of physics may prohibit the existence of other universes, creating a somewhat paradoxical situation.

The only reason that I know that the Multiverse theory comes into play, is because of a desire for a solution to the time travel paradoxes.

Since going on a spaceship, travelling at several thousands km/h we find ourselves to have traveled forward in time slightly. But that doesn't mean we can encounter a future version of ourselves whatsoever.

The same would apply in travelling back in time. It makes no difference if it's a fraction of a second or 10 years, does it not? And if we are able to slow our own motion relative to the absolute movement of all matter in the universe, for we do have mass, meaning we are all moving when we seem to be standing still in space. That slowing ourselves down, relative to the absolute movement of all matter, then perhaps we can travel back in time, but for the same situation as in travelling forwards for 1 second or 1,000 years, we don't encounter ourselves, so that the grandfather paradox and whatever else does not apply. In that, perhaps the different times are not connected, for if we killed our grandfather right now, or 10 years ago, we exist perfectly like anyone else. If someone was to observe us, while we were travelling at that "negative" velocity, we would observe our absolute motion, whichever direction it may be, but if we could see to infinite, we would see that they are still there.

But perhaps it's a different approach than that, an argument to rebuff that, is that time will actually speed up for us, in that we still travel into the future with everyone else, but to go an hour, it may feel or take us 10 years.

In that, I don't think that we'll ever come into the scenario where we would be able to apply the multiverse theory, but who knows.
  5. Apr 11, 2003 #4
    Is there a counter-argument to this?
  6. Apr 11, 2003 #5

Hmm... I think the whole point of multiverses is that the laws of one universe do not extend to that of the other universes. So whether other universes can exist is outside a specific universe's jurisdiction, so to speak.
  7. Apr 13, 2003 #6
    Its only the POSSIBLE, probable (or whatever you want to call it) things that could happen that "branch" out from a certain event. I don't know what you mean by wierd, though. (do tell)
  8. Apr 13, 2003 #7
    Is this like the multiple history theory? (if so, I've got "a lot" to say).
  9. Apr 16, 2003 #8
    what makes you think you would suddenly be able to pick out the one defining extremely wierd event?
    what if jesus(if you consider him god) was our wierd event?
    or dinosuars?
    or men on the moon?
    or all the world wars?
    or atomic weapons?
    what if our difference is humanity itself?

there all extreamly wierd in a way and there are plenty more where they came from
  10. Apr 16, 2003 #9
    The whole matter is anisotropic, screwball, jack.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?