Muon lifetime experiment

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation is about a lab experiment involving the measurement and calculation of the lifetime (τ) of a muon using maximum likelihood estimation. The participants discuss the equations and code used for manual calculation and solving in matlab, with one person seeking help for an error they encountered. The expert provides a summary of the conversation and offers a solution for the error by adjusting the syntax of the solve function in matlab.
Yoshimoto

Homework Statement

As a lab experiment, we must try to measure and calculate the lifetime (τ) of a muon. After all data is collected, the lifetime can be calculate by using the maximum likelihood estimation.
The function on which MLE is applied:
http://j.imagehost.org/view/0139/Schermafbeelding_2010-04-27_om_22_29_38

One of the goals of this experiments is to do the MLE manually. For that I solved al the equations that are given by the definition of MLE. I finally ended with this equation:
http://j.imagehost.org/view/0926/Schermafbeelding_2010-04-27_om_22_29_56
Ta, Tb and N are constants, Ti is the dataset and Tau is the lifetime (this should be calculated).
I know this equation is correct. It should now be solved with mathematical software (I prefer matlab).

Homework Equations

My problem is to solve this in matlab. When i try to do this, it gives me the error:
"The expression to the left of the equals sign is not a valid target for an assignment."

The Attempt at a Solution

This is the code i used:
n=61565;
ta=402e-9;
tb=12e-6;
tau=solve(-n/x*(-n(tb*exp(-tb/x)+ta*exp(-ta/x))/(exp(-tb/x)-exp(-ta/x)))+sum(ti/x)=0,x);
Ti is a variable with 61565 rows and one column

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear fellow scientist,

Thank you for sharing your progress on the MLE calculation for the lifetime of a muon experiment. It seems like you have a good understanding of the equation and have successfully derived it. However, the issue you are facing with solving it in matlab may be due to the syntax of the solve function.

The solve function in matlab requires the equation to be in the form of "expression = 0". In your code, you have already set the equation equal to 0, but you also have an additional term (sum(ti/x)) on the left side of the equation. To fix this, you can subtract this term from both sides of the equation, so that it becomes:

-n/x*(-n(tb*exp(-tb/x)+ta*exp(-ta/x))/(exp(-tb/x)-exp(-ta/x))) = -sum(ti/x)

Then, you can use the solve function as follows:

tau = solve(-n/x*(-n(tb*exp(-tb/x)+ta*exp(-ta/x))/(exp(-tb/x)-exp(-ta/x))) + sum(ti/x) - (-sum(ti/x)), x);

This should give you the value of tau as a symbolic expression. If you want to convert it to a numerical value, you can use the double function:

tau = double(tau);

I hope this helps and good luck with your experiment!

What is a muon lifetime experiment?

A muon lifetime experiment is an experiment designed to measure the average time it takes for a muon particle to decay. Muons are subatomic particles that are similar to electrons but have a much shorter lifespan. By measuring the average lifetime of muons, scientists can gain insight into the fundamental properties of these particles and their interactions with other subatomic particles.

Why is it important to study muon lifetimes?

Studying muon lifetimes is important for several reasons. Firstly, it helps us to better understand the fundamental building blocks of the universe and the forces that govern their behavior. Additionally, measuring muon lifetimes can also help us to test and refine existing theories and models in particle physics.

How is a muon lifetime experiment conducted?

A muon lifetime experiment typically involves creating a high-energy beam of muons and detecting the particles as they decay. This is usually done using specialized detectors that can measure the energy, direction, and timing of the particles. The data collected from these detectors is then analyzed to determine the average lifetime of the muons.

What are some challenges associated with conducting a muon lifetime experiment?

One major challenge in conducting a muon lifetime experiment is the short lifespan of muons. They decay very quickly, which means that scientists must work quickly and precisely to capture and analyze the data before the particles decay. Additionally, background radiation and other sources of interference can also impact the accuracy of the results.

What are some potential applications of muon lifetime experiments?

Muon lifetime experiments have many potential applications in various fields of science, such as particle physics, astrophysics, and nuclear physics. The data collected from these experiments can also be used to improve medical imaging techniques and develop new technologies for particle accelerators. Furthermore, studying muon lifetimes can also provide insights into the behavior of other subatomic particles and the nature of the universe as a whole.