Muon special relativity problem,

In summary, the muons travelling at 66 m/s less than the speed of light will decay within 2.21 microseconds.
StonedPhysicist
Member warned about lack of template
Here is the question:
If 1000 muons are incident from a height of 10 km above the Earth's surface, how much slower than the velocity of light must they be traveling in the rest frame of the Earths surface for 990 of them to be expected to arrive at the ground undecayed? The mean life of a muon is 2.2 microseconds. You can use equation: (gamma)(beta)=sqrt((gamma)^2+1) for (gamma) much greater than 1.

I can't seem to work out how to do this. So far I used the decay equation to find the time taken for the 1000 muons to decay to 990 muons as 2.21x10^-8 seconds but i am not sure where to go after this, help will be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The 22.1 ns you found is in the rest frame of the muons. You need a Lorentz transform to the Earth frame, where that time is 10 km / v

Must admit I don't understand the fun of using ##\gamma\beta\approx \sqrt{\gamma^2+1}## when I know that ##\gamma\beta=\sqrt{\gamma^2-1}##

can you explain how to do the transformation? , i have the formula ct'= (gamma)(ct-(beta)x) but don't see how to do it

Muons are at rest in their own frame, so x = 0. Makes it easy, doesn't it ?
More nice info here

BvU said:
Muons are at rest in their own frame, so x = 0. Makes it easy, doesn't it ?
More nice info here

using ct=(gamma)(ct'+(beta)x') subbing in x'=0 , t=10km/v i end up with: v=10/(gamma)t' BUT I do not know gamma? so cannot complete the calculation? or am i missing something?

##\gamma = \sqrt{1\over {1-\beta^2}}\ ## and ##\ \beta = {v\over c}##

And the distance covered by the muons in the Earth frame is a lot more than 10 m !

yes thankyou! finally i got the answer that the velocity of the muon is 66 m/s less than c (in the rest frame)! woo!

In the Earth frame...

and, as you see, ##\beta\gamma = \gamma## for all practical purposes

Last edited:
BvU said:
##\gamma = \sqrt{1\over {1-\beta^2}}\ ## and ##\ \beta = {v\over c}##

I follow the reasoning for this.
The radioactive decay equation gives us ##N=N_0e^{\frac{-t'}{t_0}} \rightarrow t'=2.21*10^{-8}s##
This is the time in the rest frame of the muon.
Then using the Lorentz transformations : ##t = \gamma t'##
##v=\frac{d}{t} \rightarrow v=\frac{d}{\gamma t'}##

How has he managed to find v from ##\gamma=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}##?
I've tried many different rearrangements and haven't managed to pull v out of it, I must be doing something wrong.

##\gamma v = \frac{d}{t'} = \frac{10*10^3}{2.21*10^{-8}}##

EDIT:: ##\frac{v}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}} = \frac{d}{t'}##

##v(1-\frac{v^2}{c^2})^{\frac{-1}{2}} = \frac{d}{t'}##
##v^{-2}(1-\frac{v^2}{c^2})=(\frac{d}{t'})^{-2}=\frac{t'^2}{d^2}##
##v^{-2}-\frac{1}{c^2}=\frac{t'^2}{d^2}##
##v^{-2}=\frac{t'^2}{d^2}+\frac{1}{c^2}##
Skipping a few steps of algebra...
Therefore ##v=\sqrt{\frac{d'^2*c^2}{c^2t'^2+d'^2}} = 299999934.1##

And ##c-v = 66 m.s^{-1}##
I have finally worked it out too!
Of course this is all assuming that that speed of light is ##3*10^8 m.s^{-1}## which it isn't... so I'll have to work something different out

Last edited:

1. What is the muon special relativity problem?

The muon special relativity problem is a paradox in which muons, subatomic particles with a short half-life, are observed to reach the Earth's surface despite the fact that their lifespan is not long enough for them to travel from the upper atmosphere to the surface. This phenomenon can be explained by the principles of special relativity.

2. How does special relativity explain the muon special relativity problem?

Special relativity states that time appears to slow down for objects traveling at high speeds. This means that from the perspective of a stationary observer on Earth, the muons appear to have a longer lifespan due to time dilation. This allows them to travel a greater distance and reach the Earth's surface before decaying.

3. Why are muons used to study special relativity?

Muons are used to study special relativity because they have a short half-life and can travel at high speeds. This allows scientists to observe the effects of time dilation and length contraction predicted by special relativity.

4. Is the muon special relativity problem only applicable to muons?

No, the muon special relativity problem is not limited to only muons. It can also be observed in other particles, such as cosmic rays, that have short half-lives and travel at high speeds.

5. How does the muon special relativity problem impact our understanding of the universe?

The muon special relativity problem highlights the accuracy and applicability of special relativity in explaining the behavior of particles at high speeds. It also provides evidence for the concept of time dilation, which has important implications for our understanding of the nature of time and the universe.