Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Murder Mystery

1. May 19, 2005 #1
    Bill took Pam to Mount Everest in order to go mountain climbing. Unfortunately Pam was found dead after her hook broke while she was climbing up the mountain. Although most of the people were convinced that Pam died of an accident, ONE person was assured that it was a planned murder. Who is that person and how did he/she know?

Here's an extra teaser:

How far can a dog go into the woods?

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2005 #2
    Bill planned it and so he knew

4. May 19, 2005 #3
    god, buddah, joseph smith?

5. May 19, 2005 #4

JamesU

Gold Member

Bill was the one person because he did it

6. May 20, 2005 #5
    Bill would know; but Pam would probably know too.

Here's an extra teaser:

The dog can go all the way IN, which is to the center of the forest, from then on, the dog is going OUT of the forest.

Not sure if that's what you're looking for.

7. May 20, 2005 #6
    On a second thought I think it is the Blacksmith

8. May 20, 2005 #7
    everyone elses answers for who dunnit pretty much match mine... but the dog can only go into the woods a tiny we bitty bit... after that, he's already inside...

9. May 20, 2005 #8
    Rahsmuss was right for the dog problem since after going halfway into the woods you are technically going out of the woods.

For the murder mystery its not Bill or Pam or the Blacksmith.

This one's incredibly difficult to solve since nobody's going to think of this person.

HintIt's the person who sells the airplane tickets

10. May 20, 2005 #9
    Answer: Four, or at most five. After that he has to go into the irons.

11. May 20, 2005 #10
    Pam's husband, (who, I am guessing is not Bill)weakened a piece of climbing gear to wreck their little rendevouz

12. May 20, 2005 #11
    Based on this hint you gave:

It's the person who sells the airplane tickets.

I would say because she mentioned being afraid of heights to the airplane ticket seller. So she would not have gone on a mountain climbing expedition willingly.

13. May 20, 2005 #12
    It's Aditya, he's the one who made up the riddle!

I agree with Gale17 on the dog, once he's in the woods he's running IN the woods and not INTO the woods.

14. May 20, 2005 #13
    The travel agent knows it was Bill because Bill was stupid enough to buy only a one-way ticket for her

15. May 20, 2005 #14

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Based on the hint given- The man booked two tickets there, but only booked one ticket back, so the person who sold them knew that he wasn't expecting to return with Pam

16. May 20, 2005 #15
    Yes, regor and matthy are both both right.

I guess I should have rephrased the dog question by writing "How far can the dog run in the woods" instead of into.

Last edited: May 20, 2005
  17. May 20, 2005 #16
    I think it was Godzilla.... I mean... selling Airline tickets is his day-job. He could see all the way to Mt. Everest from Japan, where the couple Bill and Pam were from (since their names are very oriental). He saw when she fell and heard (with his big ears) Bill say : "Ha ha! Now I have murdered Pam and no one will know about it."

18. May 20, 2005 #17
    The ticket agent might be suspicious, but ... they could never be 'assured'. There are too many good reasons why a person might buy a one-way ticket. At any rate the puzzle emphasizes that ONE person knew. The only way that could be is if the only person who knows is the perp.
    eom

Last edited: May 20, 2005
  19. May 21, 2005 #18

JamesU

Gold Member

Y'know rahmuss, that's not a bad answer...

20. May 21, 2005 #19

DaveC426913

Gold Member

No, you phrased it correctly. It has to be phrased that way.

If you are near the edge of the woods, it is perfectly logical to "go further into the woods". You can continue to go into the woods until you are coming out again.

If you merely say "How far can the dog run in the woods", the answer is "as far as it wants to before getting bored or tired". Heck, it could run around in circles for hours.

21. May 22, 2005 #20
    the ticket agent(s) could be tell their friends before the murder occur

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?