Solve the Murder: Uncovering Time Since Death with Equations

• Thread starter Psyguy22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Death Time
In summary: After solving for k, convert it to hours and then use that value to solve for t.In summary, the problem involves a person being murdered in a room with a temperature of 20 deg C. The body is discovered with a temperature of 32 deg C and is decreasing at an instantaneous rate of .1 deg C/minute. The related equations include the normal body temperature of 37 deg C and the equation Y(t)=T+Ae^(-kt) where y(t) is the temperature at a given time, T is the room temperature, and A and K are constants related to cooling. The attempt at solving the problem involved setting t=0 as the time the body was discovered and solving for k and t, but the
Psyguy22
1 the problem and all known variables.
A person is murdered in a room with a temperature of 20 deg C. At the time the body is discovered, the body temp is 32 deg C and is decreasing at an instantaneous rate of .1 deg C/minute. How long ago was the murder commited?

2. Related equations.
Normal body temp is 37 deg C
Y(t)=T+Ae^(-kt) where y(t) is temp at a given time, T is the room temp, and A and K are constants related to cooling.

3 attempt at solution.
So my teacher gae the hint to have t=0 be the time the body was discovered. So you'd get 32 (y(0)) = 20+A ((e^0=1). I got that A=12. So plug that back into the eq. And because the body temp decreases at .1 deg C/minute, K would equal .1. So then I solve y(t) for 37 and I get -3.7 which if it were in hours, that answer would make sense. But since k was in minutes, I figured my answer was too so then I converted k to hours revised my answer and got -207 which is a really long time. I'm confused in where I went wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you make sure your units were consistent?

Notes:
An instantaneous decrease rate of 0.1deg/min at some time means dY/dt at that time was -0.1/min
You do not have a variable K in your equation - important to be consistent in your notation.

So I just solve dy/dt= -.1 when t=0 and that should give me my k?

That's how I read it.

Psyguy22 said:
A person is murdered in a room with a temperature of 20 deg C. At the time the body is discovered, the body temp is 32 deg C and is decreasing at an instantaneous rate of .1 deg C/minute. How long ago was the murder commited?

2. Related equations.
Y(t)=T+Ae^(-kt) where y(t) is temp at a given time, T is the room temp, and A and K are constants related to cooling.

3 attempt at solution.
So my teacher gae the hint to have t=0 be the time the body was discovered. So you'd get 32 (y(0)) = 20+A ((e^0=1). I got that A=12. So plug that back into the eq. And because the body temp decreases at .1 deg C/minute, K would equal .1. So then I solve y(t) for 37 and I get -3.7 which if it were in hours, that answer would make sense. But since k was in minutes, I figured my answer was too so then I converted k to hours revised my answer and got -207 which is a really long time. I'm confused in where I went wrong.

The sentence " At the time the body is discovered, the body temp is 32 deg C and is decreasing at an instantaneous rate of .1 deg C/minute" seems to be saying that the 0.1 deg C/min applies at the time the body is discovered, if we read it as a standard English sentence. This gives two equations in the two unknowns k and t. Solving it gives a much more "reasonable" value for t (keeping t in minutes throughout). Try it and see!

Psyguy22 said:

2. Related equations.

3 attempt at solution.

Please ignore my previous response; it is based on a mis-reading of what you did. (I tried to edit or delete it, but I guess too much time has passed and so those options are now void.) The problem is your incorrect value of k: you need ##y'(0) = -1/10## (according to the problem's statement), so ##12 k = 1/10##.

What is "Solve the Murder: Uncovering Time Since Death with Equations"?

"Solve the Murder: Uncovering Time Since Death with Equations" is a scientific approach to determining the time since death in a murder investigation. It involves using mathematical equations and scientific methods to analyze various factors such as body temperature, rigor mortis, and insect activity to estimate the time of death.

Why is it important to accurately determine the time since death in a murder investigation?

Determining the time since death is a crucial aspect of a murder investigation as it helps investigators narrow down the list of suspects and establish a timeline of events. It can also provide valuable information about the circumstances surrounding the death and aid in the collection of evidence.

What factors are considered when using equations to estimate the time since death?

The factors considered in estimating the time since death include body temperature, rigor mortis, livor mortis (pooling of blood), decomposition, insect activity, and environmental conditions such as temperature and humidity.

How accurate are the equations used in "Solve the Murder: Uncovering Time Since Death with Equations"?

The equations used in this method are based on extensive scientific research and have been tested and refined over many years. While they may not provide an exact time of death, they can give a reliable estimate with a margin of error of a few hours to a few days depending on the specific case.

What other methods are used to determine the time since death in a murder investigation?

In addition to equations, other methods used to determine the time since death include forensic entomology (study of insect activity), forensic anthropology (study of skeletal remains), and the use of medical evidence such as stomach contents and eye changes. These methods may be used in conjunction with equations to provide a more accurate estimation of the time of death.