Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Murdering Pregnant Woman

1. Jun 24, 2007 #1
    Murdering pregnant woman commonly makes headline news. It happens so often.
    Would anyone care to speculate as to why men kill their pregnant wives?

Just curious.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2007 #2

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your question made me remember something I had read:
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/LegalCenter/story?id=522184&page=1

4. Jun 24, 2007 #3
    Have an abortion?

5. Jun 24, 2007 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Pardon me.

Are we to interpret this comment to mean that your suggestion for women to avoid being murdered is for them to abort their unborn child?

6. Jun 24, 2007 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am more inclined to think it makes the headline news because it happens so infrequently as to be news. Define "often."

7. Jun 25, 2007 #6
    Are you implying that a pregnant women is statistically more likely to be killed by her husband than a non pregnant one?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2007
  8. Jun 25, 2007 #7

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Perhaps the OP is in response to the discovery Saturday in Ohio of the deceased pregnant woman, Jessie Davis (26), who was apparently murdered by her boyfriend (police officer) and father of her 2-yr old son.

And there was of course the infamous Lacy Peterson case. Her husband (Scott Peterson) began an affair about the time she was pregnant, and then apparently murdered her. Possibly in addition to loss of intimacy, he was faced with the economic burden of a child, which he apparently resented.

The numbers in the article cited by MIH, 324,000 (~8% of ~4 million births annually) pregnant women are hurt by an intimate partner or former partner each year, are very disturbing. Other numbers are even more disturbing -
    http://www.endabuse.org/resources/facts/ :frown:

I find the numbers stunning and heartbreaking. How can people treat other human beings in such a way?

Rather than having an abortion, the prudent action would be to avoid abusive relationships, and exercise caution in entering into intimate relationships.

9. Jun 25, 2007 #8
    A good book on the origins, causes, and perpetuation of male violence is Demonic Males.

10. Jun 25, 2007 #9
    What do you mean how? :confused:

Human beings are not like fairies doing nothing else than singing and walking barefoot through the daisies Astronuc.

"But we are all like an unclean thing, and all of our righteousnesses are like filthy rags" (Isa. 64:6).

11. Jun 25, 2007 #10

radou

Homework Helper

This is probably only one sad example of problems humans constantly experience, the roots of which are apparently too deep (or problematic, or whatever) to be dealt with in an efficient way. I believe primitivism and the lack of recieved love are two major ones.

12. Jun 25, 2007 #11

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I do believe that's the idea, yes.

Pregnancy is a huge stressor.

13. Jun 25, 2007 #12
    Then how about providing some statistics that demonstrate that?

14. Jun 25, 2007 #13

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Isn't that what MiH is doing?

It is a hot topic, and the stats are open to argument, I grant.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2007
  15. Jun 25, 2007 #14
    That homicide is the leading cause of death among pregnant women is by itself no indication that pregnant women are more likely to be murdered than those who are not pregnant.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2007
  16. Jun 25, 2007 #15

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's a little hard to say. Looking at the data for women and mortality on the CDC site, homocide is not at the top of the list. The problem is that it is hard to find a comparable study restricted to women of childbearing age. The CDC statistics (I believe) include everything from infant females dying of birth defects to 90-year old grandmas dying from heart failure.
    http://www.cdc.gov/women/lcod.htm

I still found the reports about the pregnant women quite stunning! It would be interesting to see how the data stacks up side by side with women in the same age range who weren't pregnant at the time of death.

17. Jun 26, 2007 #16

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I prefer going barefoot, but I try not to step on flowers.

I suppose that is one perspective.

Life can be a big stressor at times. That is no excuse to hurt someone, especially when that someone has done no harm to one.

18. Jun 26, 2007 #17

DaveC426913

Gold Member

This is true. I'm not sure why you're saying it, since no one is drawing that conclusion.

I think we're stuck in a quagmire of ill-defined terms. "leading cause of death" is pretty clear but "more likely than" is a bit vague. Do we mean that, all other factors being equal, a woman who is pregnant has a higher proability of being murdered than if she is not pregnant? There are many ways to interpret that phrase. I think we may need to address that before being able to answer the OP's ?.

19. Jun 26, 2007 #18

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I don't think anyone is making any excuses.

On other hand, saying "how can anyone do that" is not going to be enough to make it stop.

We need to face what our society is, not what we think it should be.

20. Jun 26, 2007 #19
    At least we have no one here, as of yet, blame it on the Bush administration. :wink:

I don't agree that it is a phenomenon of society, instead I think it is a phenomenon of humanity. And idealism is not going to make it disappear.

21. Jun 27, 2007 #20

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why would we do that?
    It's probably a naive question (I apologize) but what is the difference in a phenomenon of society and phenomenon of humanity? Are you saying we would find the exact same murder statistics for pregnant women if we looked at the current data across all cultures of the world?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?