1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Muscle cramps

1. Jan 11, 2004 #1
    My right buttocks cramped up today. That has *never* happened before. It was quite unexpected... I was sitting down, and when I stood up, the cramp really hit me.

Im confused.

Why on earth would that happen?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2004 #2
    Done an strenuous physical activity lately?

4. Jan 11, 2004 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Lack of Mg? Try eating extra banana's they are a good source of Mg.

5. Jan 11, 2004 #4
    Lack of Mg??? How about lake of K?

Nautica

6. Jan 12, 2004 #5
    well, before that happened i walked around for about two miles with a heavy backpack in warm weather... which is not really strenuous for me.- not enough for muscle cramps at least!

i have been very sleep deprived all week... maybe thats it?

dunno.

anyway. thanks for replying!

was just reminded that i should take a vitamin. :)

7. Jan 12, 2004 #6

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't just take vitamins, take minerals too. As nautica said, it is both K+ and Mg2+ that you'd probably need to eat up on. Where do you get K from? Green veggies?? Noo, that's vit K.. maybe K too..

8. Jan 12, 2004 #7
    Did you do a 'cool down' (for the muscles) after the walk? (removes the lactic acids, fuel of the muscles, before they congeal/harden, which causes {one source} cramping)

9. Jan 12, 2004 #8
    Bacteria production with in the body (I believe, but dont quote me, I will have to look).

But an external source would be bannanas, as you have already mentioned.

10. Jan 16, 2004 #9
    are you positive it was a muscle cramp?

i had a herniated and ruptured disk on my sciatic vertabrae... and it felt like a constant cramp in my buttocks... do u have a history of back problems?

just sumthin to consider and take care of ASAP if thats the case...i'll tell u from experience...sciatica is no picnic.

other than that i think the lactic acids that parson said sounds about right to me

11. Jan 16, 2004 #10
    I don't mean to be rude, in being forward, but viewed from another (postive?) perspective, it's a "nice" way of your body reminding you that you need regular excersize, regularly, as in it could have been worse, what a lack of good regular excersize does for any, and all, of us...

12. Jan 17, 2004 #11
    Funny, learned that watching Jane Fonda, on Television, when she was promoting fitness...

13. Jan 17, 2004 #12
    Has anyone around you been particularly annoying lately? Could be psycosomatic.

14. Jan 18, 2004 #13
    Heh heh, i'll remember to take supplements when i expect to have annoying company. Or perhaps I could give the annoyers suppositories and balance the equation that way?

Psychosomatic aside... Did you drink more coffee that day... caffeine kicks a bunch of stuff out of your body, including B vits. But sleep deprivation per se is a form of stress, which increases the body req. of B6, needed for adequate Mg metabolism. Also overall dietary Ca:Mg must be adequate (I believe 2:1) - they compete for absorption and excess of one will deplete the other. (so, say, if you ate bunches of tums for a couple of days, you could lower your Mg levels.)

Anectodally, when I started exercising I initially observed a distinct inverse correlation between premature cramps and having taken my Mg&K supplements for a few days prior.

add my vote for the bananas too. and easy on the caffeine.

firefly

15. Jan 18, 2004 #14
    That is not neccessarily the case, many many atheletes have problems with cramping.

Nautica

16. Jan 18, 2004 #15
    Good point, example of one end of a scale, and the example of the other end....all as one, not bad!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?