Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Muscle cramps

1. Jan 11, 2004 #1
    My right buttocks cramped up today. That has *never* happened before. It was quite unexpected... I was sitting down, and when I stood up, the cramp really hit me.

Im confused.

Why on earth would that happen?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2004 #2
    Done an strenuous physical activity lately?

4. Jan 11, 2004 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Lack of Mg? Try eating extra banana's they are a good source of Mg.

5. Jan 11, 2004 #4
    Lack of Mg??? How about lake of K?

Nautica

6. Jan 12, 2004 #5
    well, before that happened i walked around for about two miles with a heavy backpack in warm weather... which is not really strenuous for me.- not enough for muscle cramps at least!

i have been very sleep deprived all week... maybe thats it?

dunno.

anyway. thanks for replying!

was just reminded that i should take a vitamin. :)

7. Jan 12, 2004 #6

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't just take vitamins, take minerals too. As nautica said, it is both K+ and Mg2+ that you'd probably need to eat up on. Where do you get K from? Green veggies?? Noo, that's vit K.. maybe K too..

8. Jan 12, 2004 #7
    Did you do a 'cool down' (for the muscles) after the walk? (removes the lactic acids, fuel of the muscles, before they congeal/harden, which causes {one source} cramping)

9. Jan 12, 2004 #8
    Bacteria production with in the body (I believe, but dont quote me, I will have to look).

But an external source would be bannanas, as you have already mentioned.

10. Jan 16, 2004 #9
    are you positive it was a muscle cramp?

i had a herniated and ruptured disk on my sciatic vertabrae... and it felt like a constant cramp in my buttocks... do u have a history of back problems?

just sumthin to consider and take care of ASAP if thats the case...i'll tell u from experience...sciatica is no picnic.

other than that i think the lactic acids that parson said sounds about right to me

11. Jan 16, 2004 #10
    I don't mean to be rude, in being forward, but viewed from another (postive?) perspective, it's a "nice" way of your body reminding you that you need regular excersize, regularly, as in it could have been worse, what a lack of good regular excersize does for any, and all, of us...

12. Jan 17, 2004 #11
    Funny, learned that watching Jane Fonda, on Television, when she was promoting fitness...

13. Jan 17, 2004 #12
    Has anyone around you been particularly annoying lately? Could be psycosomatic.

14. Jan 18, 2004 #13
    Heh heh, i'll remember to take supplements when i expect to have annoying company. Or perhaps I could give the annoyers suppositories and balance the equation that way?

Psychosomatic aside... Did you drink more coffee that day... caffeine kicks a bunch of stuff out of your body, including B vits. But sleep deprivation per se is a form of stress, which increases the body req. of B6, needed for adequate Mg metabolism. Also overall dietary Ca:Mg must be adequate (I believe 2:1) - they compete for absorption and excess of one will deplete the other. (so, say, if you ate bunches of tums for a couple of days, you could lower your Mg levels.)

Anectodally, when I started exercising I initially observed a distinct inverse correlation between premature cramps and having taken my Mg&K supplements for a few days prior.

add my vote for the bananas too. and easy on the caffeine.

firefly

15. Jan 18, 2004 #14
    That is not neccessarily the case, many many atheletes have problems with cramping.

Nautica

16. Jan 18, 2004 #15
    Good point, example of one end of a scale, and the example of the other end....all as one, not bad!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?