Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Muscle training

1. Apr 29, 2005 #1
    Hey guys, I was wondering what is the best way to build muscle if I run the track. Is it wise to eat alot of fat, then run my buttocks off for the muscle? Or eat light and low carbs and low calories? What becomes muscles then?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2005 #2

Gold Member

Eat beef...lots of beef... :bugeye:
  4. Apr 29, 2005 #3
    For running it is generally wise, as in other training, to load up on protein when doing any muscle breakdown. Carbohydrates come into play during running as your energy source (particularly if you are doing lots of long runs). Avoid the really fatty and greasy stuff, that doesn't tend to digest well during a run.

Just remember to stretch out the muscles after warmup and after cooldown, otherwise you'll be limping for the next few days.
  5. Apr 29, 2005 #4
    What kind of muscle are you trying to build? I've found running is good for lean muscles with good definition. Lifting heavy weights is good for building muscle mass. Don't work the same muscle group on consecutive days. Work arms and chest one day and legs and back another. Work with weights four times a week and run for distance twice a week. I had put on 15 pounds in less than 3 months that way. I was eating a diet with lots of proteins and carbohydrates at the time (four full meals a day plus some) I'm sure someone here would have a great diet for you to follow. And motai is right about the stretching. That can be important, especially when its cold outside, or if your getting older in age.
  6. Apr 30, 2005 #5

Staff: Mentor

The type of muscle will depend on whether one wants to sprint (as fast as possible) a short distance, e.g. 100 m, 200 m or up to 400 m, vs longer distances like 1 km, 1.5 km and longer.

Sprinters want fast twitching fibers, whereas long distance runners want slower twitching fibers. The difference comes with training, and weight-training is part of it. Also, stretching is very important, and I can't overemphasize that since I have seen runners do serious injury to themselves without proper stretching.

Eat protein or use a protein (amino acid) supplement, but stay away from steroids.

Also, check out - http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/sprinting.htm . I just found it, so I don't know much about it, except it looks interesting. Apparently registration is required.

Also, talk to seasoned runners about their training regimes and diet. See JasonRox's thread on Working Out and Supplements in this forum.
  7. May 29, 2005 #6
    What if I run middle distance? 800 m
  8. May 29, 2005 #7

I found the following from - Oslo - Exxon Mobil Bislett Games - 27th June 2003

One has to look at the times and look at the metabolic rate/muscle performance.

WORLD RECORD - 400m.
    43.18, JOHNSON Michael

800 m requires a little more endurance, with average 52 sec/400 m, which is not as fast as a flat out 400m race.
    Last edited: May 29, 2005
  9. May 29, 2005 #8
    Since you run 800m, then it would be fast twitch fiber like astronux stated. You can't really build any muscle if you only run. You need to start weight training and train hard. You need to focus especially on the legs so that means squats, leg press, deadlifts and leg curls. I am sure your coach knows the routin toward weight lifting. For nutrition, high carbs, high protein and moderate fat.
  10. May 30, 2005 #9

Never try to get results in a single session, otherwise you may have muscular injuries that can last for the lifetime. You are your own judge to know what to eat.
  11. May 30, 2005 #10
    This is one of the hardest races to run. It is far for an all out sprint and too short to pace yourself. For training for this I would recommend you run a mile or two before you try this. Then practice long sprints.

Running won't build up bulk unless you do it all the time. Then it will show in your calves and thighs. Someone mentioned squats. Those are great if you do them right. And I like the standard pushups and situps because I don't need any equipment. For bulk use heavy weights. Go for the maximum weight that you can put up at least 10 times consecutively. Don't hurt yourself trying to put up as much as you can lift once. Think in repetitions.
  12. May 30, 2005 #11

1 Mbulaeni Mulaudzi (Rsa)
    2 Wilfred Bungei (Ken)
    3 Antonio Manuel Reina (Spa)
    4 Andre Bucher (Sui)
    5 Bram Som (Ned)
    6 Djabir Sad-guerni (Alg)
    7 William Chirchir (Ken)
    8 David Krummenacker (USA)
    9 Joeri Jansen (Bel)

Try searching Google and internet sites for these guys and look at their stature. IIRC, runners in the 1.5 km/mile are not muscular as are runners in the sprints. As you mentioned, this is a middle race between all out sprint and long distance. One definitely needs the endurance.

Training takes a while. Running a combination of long (for endurance) and short (sprints for speed) over many months. Then one can start to optimize the performance.

As others mentioned, weight training is important - hamstring/thigh curls are part of this. I would also recommend bicycle riding/sprinting. Also, and very important, STRETCH the muscles - full range.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?