Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Muscles calcified into bones

  1. Jan 31, 2006 #1
    muscles calcified into bones....

    does anybody know what this disease is called?? i saw a documentry on this a couple weeks ago and want to know the name of this disease...anybody knows??
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2006 #2


    User Avatar
    Homework Helper

    The rare progressive disease syndrome is called "Fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva" : http://rarediseases.about.com/cs/fop/

    Also, bone can arise in "other" tissue from different processes. Raised serum calcium levels (which can arise due to endocrine diseases or hormone secreting tumors) can cause "metastatic calcification" leading to "metastatic ossification". Locally damaged tissue (trauma, tumor) can lead to the accumulation of calcium followed sometimes by formation of bone in the presence of a normal serum calcium level, this is called "dystrophic calcification" leading to "dystrophic ossification".
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook