Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Music and Mathematics

1. Nov 10, 2012 #1
    I have heard that music is very mathematical and was wondering if there is a place I could watch lectures on a topic like this? Or maybe a text book I could read through? Thanks for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2012 #2
  4. Nov 12, 2012 #3
    great wikilink h2bro, i didnt think wiki had anything on it.. sort of related to the OP topic, how is it that someone can look at a painting, architecture or whatewver and say, yup, the golden ratio is being used here. i think i understand what the golden ratio is (simply that a+b:a = a:b that is if a>b) ? but how do people look at something , such as this painting...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pentagram_and_human_body_(Agrippa).jpg

...and see the golden ratio? Please be dumbed down specific lol because im not seeing it , thanks!

5. Nov 12, 2012 #4

That's what they say, but I don't believe it. Some of the best musicians I know can't balance a checkbook.

Music is related to the harmonic series and that is mathematical. You can look that up. But real musicians don't care about that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook