Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Music and Politics!

1. Nov 8, 2004 #1
    Lately I've noticed a certain segregation of music from NOFX's 'Son of an *******' and 'War on Errorism' To Clint Blacks 'Iraq and I roll' and Britney spears supporting George Bush.

Basicly 'Heavy' stuff goes the Anti-Flag (a band) direction of no-war, anti-bush while 'Lighter' country and pop go the other general direction.
    Even Eminem is getting into it with 'Eminem's Mosh'

Why is it that certain kinds of music favour certain political positions?
    Thoughts? Speculations? Facts? (laughter)
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2004 #2
    Some people are happy as things are, some people want change.
  4. Nov 8, 2004 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, the core of popularity for all forms of country is the South, and by exrtension rural America. In other words Red counties. And Eminem is emphatically urban, aka Blue counties. So you sort of see the music is a surrogate for the cultural biases. Of course there are overlaps, and you could do a "purple" map of music preferences just as you can for political preferences.
  5. Nov 8, 2004 #4
  6. Nov 9, 2004 #5
    I like musicians who are more concerned with the art of music than politics and business. But thats just me.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?