Music collections for studying?

• Thread starter Pithikos
  • Start date
I have a real hard time studying. If I am at university then I can't concentrate. I get distracted by just someone passing behind me or others talking.
If I stay home I can't study as I sit in front of the computer and then I always steal some time by staying on youtube or checking my email. I thought of blocking youtube but the thing is that sometimes I need it to assist for my studying.

I thought of getting some classical music and try with that. If I am at university then I can listen to the music through my mp3 and if I am home it will be easier to study at bed with the music playing.

So do you have any suggestions?

Answers and Replies

Dembadon
Gold Member
Have you tried http://www.pandora.com/#/stations/create/"? I can't listen to music while I study, but my wife loves that website. It's much more conducive to productive studying as well, since one doesn't need to micromanage a playlist / song order.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried http://www.pandora.com/#/stations/create/"? I can't listen to music while I study, but my wife loves that website. It's much more conducive to productive studying as well, since one doesn't need to micromanage a playlist / song order.

"We are deeply, deeply sorry to say that due to licensing constraints, we can no longer allow access to Pandora for listeners located outside of the U.S." Damn music industry :grumpy:

Last edited by a moderator:
Soft music, preferably instrumentals, is best since lyrics are usually distracting.

Soft music, preferably instrumentals, is best since lyrics are usually distracting.

Yes but I would like some more specific suggestion. There must be some cd collections out there for just this. I thought of downloading Mozart or something but the thing is that not all tracks are going to be in the same tempo and tone. So far I found one called "The Most Relaxing Classical Music in the Universe".

Depends on the style of music you are looking for. Classical? Rock? Hip-Hop? Metal? There are a number of different instrumental artists out there, it just depends on what style of music you want.
I prefer instrumental rock most of the time, even soft rock. Explosions in the Sky, Santana, and Jordan Rudess all make great albums.
Sometimes I'll go heaver with bands like Liquid Tension Experiment, Cloudkicker, Russian Circles and Scale the Summit.
Yoshida Brothers use the Japanese Shamisen to make great music as well.

There's always classical as well. Bach, Beethoven, Edward Elgar, etc.. It boils down to what genre you prefer.

As I understand your need, I would recommend acclimating to a classical station on the web (or on FM). My Czech friend told me of a great classical station out of Switzerland, whose frequency I do not recall.

Pandora, as mentioned above, and make a station of your favorite classical composer. I have one of Mozart, and it's my primary studying music.

I find anything with drum beats or lyrics distracting. Besides, studying while listening to mozart makes you feel like a badass. One time I got up from studying to pour myself some coffee while I was still listening to Mozart and it was the most epic cup of coffee ever poured.

Symphony #25 is very motivating, as is Beethoven's 9th symphony. Mozart's lighter stuff like #40 have an intellectual feel to them.

Pythagorean
Gold Member
Music selection is probably totally personal and arbitrary, but I actually liked black/death metal for a long time beacause:

a) upbeat, so good psychofuel
b) can't understand lyrics, so no semantic distractions
c) rich tones with melodic breaks

The Gipsy Kings:

a) upbeat
b) if you don't know Calo, no sematic distraction
c) complex mixolydian tones and syncopated beats

Bluegrass:

a) upbeat
b) simple lyrics, not too deep, easy to ignore
c) major pentatonic, usually not my favorite, but bluegrass utilizes in a way that is mysteriously melancholy while still being hopeful.

That sounds good but I don't think it's possible to use your brain when listening to that. Classical music is the best I guess..

1MileCrash I know what you mean. I drank wine yesterday while studying to slow paced classical music under a spotlight and felt like a god :biggrin:

ddpeepz
I always enjoy listening to classical piano sonatas while I'm studying... nice and soothing.