Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Music Collectors?

1. Apr 10, 2004 #1

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are there any other music collectors here in the forum? I just counted, and I'm up to 1,400 albums now. A little ridiculous, but, well, I love music!

Maybe it'd be fun to list what you feel is the most obscure artist or album in your collection... (preferably ones that you actually like however).

- Warren

Last edited: Apr 10, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2004 #2

Janitor

Science Advisor

I have pushed past the 500 mark on CDs. I still have my vinyl, but thankfully I only got up to 30-40 records before deciding that the technology was about to become obsolete.

Most obscure? Probably some of the groups on a set of CDs of music recorded by bands in Liverpool in the early 1960s. The Swinging Bluejeans, The Undertakers, and a few others.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2004
  4. Apr 10, 2004 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Chroot, my daughter is really into music, she probably has over 400 cd's and she's only 16. Her current favorites are The Mountain Goats, The Unicorns and Minus the Bear.

5. Apr 10, 2004 #4

jimmy p

Gold Member

aww, id like to feel good about my cd collection but now it seems small and insignificant :( I'd say i have about 170 cds.

6. Feb 2, 2005 #5
    I have a nice collection of underground southern hardcore rap. I like the Memphis group Three 6 Mafia. I have all their albums (at least 40):

Click Here for Three 6 Mafia

7. Feb 2, 2005 #6
    I keep changing medium (45's, albums, 8 tracks, cassette, CDs). All told though I probably have about 500.

I have a couple I would consider obscure. A CD by a guitarist named Eric Johnson and an album by the "Baskerville Hounds."

8. Feb 2, 2005 #7
    my dad has roughly 6000 (six thousand) cds. he's on a bunch of lists which work kind of like a pyramid scheme; one person with a super-rare bootleg will be at the top, & trades with people above/below themselves. he's been at it a few years now. most of it is grateful dead stuff.

9. Feb 2, 2005 #8
    This is all disgusting.

I have maybe ten cds. If that.

How can you people possibly listen to so much? Why would you? Its crazy.

*waits for irony to sink in*

10. Feb 5, 2005 #9
    I only buy Three 6 Mafia cds......so I don't have many.

11. Feb 5, 2005 #10

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't have too many CDs, because I'm poorer than dirt.

Obscure, I can do though.

Johnny Hollow distributes their own CDs and has a radio which has music from their album. "Stolen" is one of the coolest songs I've heard in a while.

Down good ol' southern influenced heavy metal. this has clips.

Rosetta Stone Techno-ey. link has some short 30 second clips. Try out "Adrenaline"

Meh. I could go on for hours, probably.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2005
  12. Feb 5, 2005 #11

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I have some pretty obscure folk recordings from the depression-era that were recently released from the Library of Congress archives. I've been looking for a way to get a hold of the old recordings of the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra. They played an arrangement of an old English minstrel song based on a self-elegy by Chidiock Tichbourne, a man sentenced to death after conspiring against Queen Elizabeth in the 1500's. The poem is pretty dear to a friend of mine. If I could ever get my hands on that, I'd have one of the most obscure recordings on the planet. I'm having such a difficult time (the VSO won't even reply to my e-mails), I've considered just buying a copy of the sheet music from the composer and seeing if my college orchestra can play it.

I should mention that I do have recordings of other arrangements of this poem, but they are all by folk-revival bands that perform in the minstrel style. I wanted an orchestral arrangement. Only two have ever been written that I could find and this was the only one that was recorded.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2005
  13. Feb 6, 2005 #12
    bout 20 music CDs, and about 180 GB of harddrive space. Obscure? I've got bands that only ever released one song and then broke up because they slept with eachothers girlfriends...

14. Feb 6, 2005 #13

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

But is the music any good?

15. Feb 7, 2005 #14

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Brainsessions by Ad Visser, two meditation CDs.. I've had several weird experiences listening to those CDs like floating and colorful hallucinations. My collection is only about 20 CDs, CDs are too expensive.

16 and 400 CDs? that's about 8000 dollars!! you can go on a tour around the world with that kind of money..

Favorite track at the moment? Girl by Anouk http://www.anouk.nl/clips.aspx click the yellow square at the right, the beat is just too infectious.

16. Feb 7, 2005 #15

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I didn't say I... paid... for all my music, Monique. :blush:

- Warren

17. Feb 7, 2005 #16

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, YOU have 1400 albums.. that'd be around 28,000 dollars :eek: I think it's ok to download music, if music is a hobby.. but I do believe that you should buy an album if you support an artist.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?