Listening to Corelli's Christmas Music for the Holidays

In summary, the Basileica di S. Maria della Passione di Milano l'Accademia Bizantina diretta dal Maestro Ottavio Dantone recorded Arcangelo Corelli's Christmas
epenguin
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I was sure there were one or two threads on in this forum on “what music are you listening to now?“ or favourite tunes or similar title title that was quite active, sure because I intended to post there when I got round to it. But I can’t find it now. But never mind for :

This is the time for Christmas music. Everyone to their tastes but I am going to pass over sugary or commercial stuff and even the very valid Christmas carols by choirs perhaps very famous and at high-level, or or perhaps the school choir that had worked hard and that included your son or daughter or someone else’s and that brought tears to your eyes.

The classical composers have served us well. You can surely mostly think of at least one in the theme – who rill to and love Handel’s “Messiah”? But there are others too.

For Christmas (ideally for tonight, but it is a busy time for many so whenever you can) I would like to propose to those of you who don’t know it (quite a lot to do but quite a lot don’t) to hear Arcangelo Corelli’s Christmas concerto aka “Musica fattta per la Notte di Natale” (Music for Christmas Night). By Christmas Night I think he meant tonight. On the web and YouTube (search can be helped by its official title which was is Concerto Grosso Op 6 no. 8) you can find many interpretations of it. I say interpretations because being Baroque there is a lot of room for choice of how to play it, the instruments used etc.,so different interpretations can sound considerably different. I find it so deep that I feel it has never been played perfectly. Baroque music is often thought of as formal, perhaps courtly, and rather buttoned-up compared to later ‘Romantic’ styles. But in my opinion Corelli here and in other works while quite in a Baroque style is able to burst emotional limitations of the style. I find a few comments on other recordings by people who had been overwhelmed.The third movement was mentioned, but for me it is the last movement, a “Pastorale”. I have never actually read any learned commentaries, but if you listen I’m sure you will hear the suggestion of bagpipes. In fact I think it is meant to recall a traditional Christmas Carol that you can or could hear played by rough-looking shepherds who descended into the cities to the cities to play on street corners at Christmas time. To me it evokes an image of a group of mountain villagers trudging their way their way in snow to a shrine where they will hold a vigil for the midnight moment.

Here are some YouTube etc. links but you can easily find others.

(Basilica di S. Maria della Passione di Milano l'Accademia Bizantina diretta dal Maestro Ottavio Dantone)12 Concerti Grossi

There is one conducted by Karajan for example. A lot of choice. And of choice according to whether you want to watch as well as listen. So far as watching is concerned my choice was not so easy to find. This was the concert by an orchestra called the “Accademia Bizantina” (Byzantine Academy) played in the beautiful setting of the Basilica di S. Maria della Passione, Milan. They recorded there the whole series of Concerti Grossi by Corelli. All of them deserve listening to. And watching. Musicians always become beautiful when they make music. Some of them could deserve that description in any case. I may not know much about music but I know what I like. The concerts were recorded by the State broadcasting channel RAI 5, and were for a time easily found on the web, but when I went to fetch them now they have been archived apparently and I finally found them on web.archive.org, a Wikipedia-like service deserving of donations in support.

In whatever way they like to celebrate it I wish all PF members happy Christmas.
http://www.raiplay.it/video/2017/02/CONCERTI-GROSSI-DI-ARCANGELO-CORELLI-4e32e94a-be31-4542-8aa0-8f4eeeaa20a1.html

Likes Asymptotic, DennisN and AlexCaledin
Science news on Phys.org

Zz.

Likes Asymptotic and AlexCaledin
Merry Christmas! - It's ever so merry and musical with Julie Andrews!

- why, when Mr Jimmy Stewart is singing "It's Beginning to Look Like Christmas" together with Scrooge himself, then it really looks so.

Last edited:
Likes Asymptotic
John Lennon put his song writing talent into this piece, in my opinion. Beautiful chord changes. Merry Christmas!

Likes Asymptotic and AlexCaledin
Oy to the world!

Likes Asymptotic
If the holidays hit when you are low a song that'll make you feel positively buoyant by comparison.

A carol of exquisite beauty from off the beaten track.

Andy Williams sings

Vanadium 50 said:
Oy to the world!
Oy vey, Maria!

I performed the Corelli Christmas concerto grosso with our Havant Baroque ensemble a few months ago (in which I usually play the harpsichord or digital keyboard equivalent, although for that work a light church organ could be used instead). I do like the "pastorale" which I agree is a little like bagpipes or a hurdy-gurdy. One thing which bothers me as keyboard player is having to decide what notes to play! Baroque composers did not usually write out a keyboard part, but only provided the continuo bass line (as played by the cello), sometimes with figurings to indicate the keyboard chords, which are however usually implied by the other parts. So current editions of the music typically include a "realisation" of the keyboard part in conventional notes. However, older editions frequently include arrangements which are too heavy and complex, making the keyboard part too prominent (and difficult), and it is surprisingly common to find mistakes in realisations, where the keyboard part harmonies actually clash in a clumsy way with the orchestra (especially in Bach, which includes some very subtle harmonies). So I not only have to learn the keyboard part (which typically has far more notes than anyone of the orchestral parts) but I also frequently have to write or rewrite it before I'm happy with how it sounds.

When it comes to more recent Christmas music, I always enjoy Leroy Anderson's Sleigh Ride, and of course Irving Berlin's White Christmas.

[Edited to correct spelling of Leroy Anderson]

Last edited:
Likes epenguin and Asymptotic
I just finished listening to three of the six parts of Bach's Christmas Oratorio, and will do the rest after dinner which is coming up shortly.

Merry Christmas!

I think this is a Christmas song.

Crossing my fingers.

What is Corelli's Christmas music?

Corelli's Christmas music refers to the collection of compositions by Italian composer Arcangelo Corelli that are traditionally played during the holiday season. These include his famous Christmas Concerto, as well as other pieces such as Pastorale and the Sonata in G minor.

Why is Corelli's music popular during the holidays?

Corelli's Christmas music is popular during the holidays because it captures the festive spirit and joy of the season. The lively and joyful melodies of his compositions are perfect for celebrating and spreading holiday cheer.

What makes Corelli's music unique?

Corelli's music is unique for its combination of Italian Baroque style with elements of folk music. His compositions are known for their beautiful melodies, lively rhythms, and use of traditional Christmas themes and motifs.

How should I listen to Corelli's Christmas music for the holidays?

There is no one correct way to listen to Corelli's Christmas music for the holidays. Some people may prefer to attend a live concert, while others may enjoy playing the music in the background during a holiday gathering. Ultimately, it is a personal preference and can be enjoyed in any way that brings joy and holiday spirit.

Are there any specific traditions associated with listening to Corelli's Christmas music?

While there are no specific traditions associated with listening to Corelli's Christmas music, it is often played during religious services, Christmas concerts, and other holiday events. Some families may also have the tradition of listening to Corelli's music while decorating their homes or during their Christmas meal.