Music to Work To: Share Your Favorites

• Music
  • Thread starter Hootenanny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music Work
In summary: I work - electronica (particularly ambient, trance, shoegazer, trip-hop, and downtempo) that keeps my toe tapping without being so complex that my brain can't resist giving it all my attention.In summary, the conversation covered different preferences for listening to music while working or studying. Some people find music distracting and prefer silence, while others use music as a way to control their environment and eliminate distractions. The type of music preferred also varies, with some gravitating towards classical and others towards more upbeat electronic genres. Overall, music is seen as a helpful tool for concentration and creating a conducive atmosphere for work and study.

Favourite Music to Work to.

• Total voters
Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What type of music does everyone listen to when working? Please post your artists/composers as well.

Science news on Phys.org
You forgot "none". I can't have music on when I work because I find it distracting. I work in silence.

Yea, I don't understand how people can have headphones and still study.

I gravitate toward electronica (particularly ambient, trance, shoegazer, trip-hop, and downtempo) when I work. It needs to keep my toe tapping without being so complex that my brain can't resist giving it all my attention.

Here's a list of some of the songs on my playlist right now:

Code:
$ ls -l
total 332116
-rwx------+ 1 wcraddoc ? 12207052 Feb 18  2005 01-The Lighthouse.mp3
-rwx------+ 1 wcraddoc ? 14536989 May  1  2002 01_Crystal_Method_-_Trip_Like_I_Do.mp3
-rwx------+ 1 wcraddoc ?  4264524 Mar 16  2004 02_-_Such_Great_Heights.mp3
-rwx------+ 1 wcraddoc ?  4067328 Apr  3  2004 03 - So Says I.mp3
-rwx------+ 1 wcraddoc ? 10588160 May 10  2004 03 Teardrop.mp3
-rwx------+ 1 wcraddoc ?  6410240 Feb 27  2004 03-Jan Johnston - Unafraid (Paul Oakenfold Mix).mp3
-rwx------+ 1 wcraddoc ?  8855541 Sep 18  2004 03_-_Cotton_Wool.mp3
-rwx------+ 1 wcraddoc ?  4183022 Mar 16  2004 03_-_Sleeping_In.mp3
-rwx------+ 1 wcraddoc ?  7166244 Nov 17 08:35 04-royksopp-boys-imt.mp3
-rwx------+ 1 wcraddoc ? 10063748 Mar  8 15:49 04-underworld-jumbo-esc.mp3
-rwx------+ 1 wcraddoc ? 13562144 Sep 18  2004 04_-_Trans_Fatty_Acid.mp3
-rwx------+ 1 wcraddoc ?  7827542 Mar 12  2004 05_-_Zoo_York.mp3
-rwx------+ 1 wcraddoc ?  4811632 Mar 16  2004 07_-_We_Will_Become_Silhouettes.mp3
-rwx------+ 1 wcraddoc ?  9891968 Jan 30  2004 08-Idioteque.mp3
-rwx------+ 1 wcraddoc ? 11844613 Sep 18  2004 09_-_Gorecki.mp3
-rwx------+ 1 wcraddoc ?  9539628 Feb 21  2004 10-_Something_Like_A_Mama.mp3
-rwx------+ 1 wcraddoc ? 14380310 Feb  4  2004 106_-_Underworld_-_Dirty_Epic.mp3
-rwx------+ 1 wcraddoc ?  9911013 May  2  2002 10_Crystal_Method_-_Bad_Stone.mp3
-rwx------+ 1 wcraddoc ?  9614672 Feb  7  2004 11-_Mighty_Micro_People.mp3
-rwx------+ 1 wcraddoc ?  7661945 Mar  9  2003 12_-_Nine_Inch_Nails_-_The_Great_Below.mp3
-rwx------+ 1 wcraddoc ?  6863597 Feb  9  2004 Amon_Tobin_-_Supermodified_-_02-Four_Ton_Mantis.mp3
-rwx------+ 1 wcraddoc ?  7659520 Jan  8  2005 Coldplay - Parachutes - 03 - Spies.mp3
-rwx------+ 1 wcraddoc ?  4799897 Mar 24  2003 Massive Attack - 04 - Weather Storm.mp3
-rwx------+ 1 wcraddoc ?  9273344 Oct 14  2004 Oakenfold_Paul_-_Perfecto_Chills_vol_1_CD1_-_03_-_Motorcycle_-_As_The_Rush_Comes_Gabriel_Dresden_Chill_O.mp3
-rwx------+ 1 wcraddoc ?  5349376 Oct 14  2004 Oakenfold_Paul_-_Perfecto_Chills_vol_1_CD2_-_01_-_Ralph_Myerz_And_The_Jack_Herren_Band_-_Clouds.mp3
-rwx------+ 1 wcraddoc ?  8301302 Oct 13  2004 Paul_Oakenfold_-_Another_World_-_109_-_darker_-_braccancio__aisher-apc.mp3
-rwx------+ 1 wcraddoc ?  7961676 Jan 23  2004 Radiohead_-_04_-_Backdrifts.mp3
-rwx------+ 1 wcraddoc ?  6573634 Jan 23  2004 Radiohead_-_06_-_Where_I_End_and_You_Begin.mp3
-rwx------+ 1 wcraddoc ?  7085216 Jan 23  2004 Radiohead_-_11_-_A_Punch-Up_at_a_Wedding.mp3
-rwx------+ 1 wcraddoc ?  5706577 Jan 23  2004 Radiohead_-_12_-_Myxamatosis.mp3
-rwx------+ 1 wcraddoc ? 17494016 Mar  1  2004 Sigur_Ros_-_-_08_Untitled_8_aka_Popplagi_The_Pop_Song_.mp3
-rwx------+ 1 wcraddoc ?  9473172 Apr  9  2004 Unkle - Never, Never Land - 06 - What Are You To Me.mp3
-rwx------+ 1 wcraddoc ?  8160989 Apr  9  2004 Unkle - Never, Never Land - 09 - Reign.mp3
-rwx------+ 1 wcraddoc ?  7448159 Apr  9  2004 Unkle - Psyence Fiction - 04 - Unreal.mp3
-rwx------+ 1 wcraddoc ?  6961379 Dec 10  2004 You_Forgot_It_In_People_-_05_-_Looks_Just_Like_The_Sun.mp3
-rwx------+ 1 wcraddoc ?  8184812 Mar  2  2003 _01_Massive_Attack_-_Future_Proof.mp3
-rwx------+ 1 wcraddoc ? 11952087 Mar  2  2003 _09_Massive_Attack_-_Antistar.mp3
-rwx------+ 1 wcraddoc ?  9287599 Feb 12  2004 underworld_-_a_hundred_days_off_-_04_-_sola_sistim.mp3
-rwx------+ 1 wcraddoc ? 10098857 Feb 12  2004 underworld_-_a_hundred_days_off_-_10_-_luetin.mp3

- Warren

ranger said:

I don't understand how people can study with nothing but the sound of the Xerox machine down the hall. :eek: When I really need to bury myself in something for a while, I pretty much have to have music.

I see it as a form of controlling my environment to eliminate distraction. I also like to play old movies I've seen a hundred times. I know everything that happens, so I don't have any inclination to be distracted by the plot, but it gives me something to refocus my eyes on periodically, and give my brain a few minutes of rest. I get edgy with total silence.

- Warren

Last edited:
I added "No music, but some other stimulus" and "Total silence" to Hoot's poll.

- Warren

I like music when I'm drawing, but that is a certain kind of concentration. If I'm trying to write something it can be a distraction.

ranger said:

Evo said:
I can't have music on when I work because I find it distracting. I work in silence.
I can't work in complete silence - I need external stimulation. I would always study with the TV or radio playing - or I would hum or drum - or take a break and play my bass guitar.

Taking the PSAT/SAT was excruciating for me because it was too quiet. It was so quiet I wanted to scream.

Life with ADD! :uhh:

On the other hand, I like the quiet of a forest or mountain top, with perhaps just a whisper of wind. Go figure. :rolleyes:

As for music - I have an eclectic audio cortex.

Blues, Classical, Jazz, Proper R n' B (Rhythm & Blues), Rock, and the others being:

Blue grass, Zydeco, Reggae, World, Gothic Chant, Tibetan or Tuvan throat singing, aboriginal, Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Windham Hill,

Absolutely no RAP or C&W.

Last edited:
I like classical music, but it's useless for me. Most classical music does not have enough of a well-defined beat to keep my toe tapping (which, for some reason, seems to be a requirement for me), and the sudden, extreme changes in volume drive me absolutely bonkers.

I know symphonies work hard to achieve those pianissimos and FORTISSIMOS but it just drives me nuts to have the two extremes in volume separated by fifteen seconds. I often feel that I can't hear half of the song, and the other half makes me want to claw the headphones off my head like I'm being attacked by a swarm of bees.

- Warren

If there is ANY music that can help me in studying, its classical. My choices would be:

-Scarlatti sonatas.
-Handel orchestral works.

Mellow Baroque works do a awesome job creating a creative atmosphere

chroot said:
I like classical music, but it's useless for me. Most classical music does not have enough of a well-defined beat to keep my toe tapping (which, for some reason, seems to be a requirement for me), and the sudden, extreme changes in volume drive me absolutely bonkers.

I know symphonies work hard to achieve those pianissimos and FORTISSIMOS but it just drives me nuts to have the two extremes in volume separated by fifteen seconds. I often feel that I can't hear half of the song, and the other half makes me want to claw the headphones off my head like I'm being attacked by a swarm of bees.
Bach keyboard music, that is: anything he originally wrote for harpsichord or clavichord, doesn't have those sudden changes in dynamics. Most of this has an "intellectual", "cerebral" sounding complexity to it that suggests a mind working out some difficult problem. I find this is nice background sound for when I'm concentrating on a drawing. It's not "toe-tapping", though. That would just get in the way of putting the lines where I want them.

I must admit I have to have some quietmusic on when I'm studying. Loud music or no music is no good for me. My music of choice at the moment is The Goldberg Variations by Bach and occasionally a bit of Mozart.

Thanks for modifying my poll chroot, much better :biggrin:

Crystal Method & Massiv Attack...sweet.

My MP3 collection would be accused of multiple personalities. I just listened to "Burning Inside" by Ministry and now I have some of the music (brass ensemble) from "Ground Force" on.

Hootenanny said:
I must admit I have to have some quietmusic on when I'm studying. Loud music or no music is no good for me. My music of choice at the moment is The Goldberg Variations by Bach ...
I love the Goldbergs.

I prefer no noise or VERY softly playing classical music. Usually chamber music or piano is good.

When I'm in my office, I only play either classical (mainly Italian Baroque) or Disney tunes. People would stop by, stick their heads into my office, and smile before the walk away when they hear "It's A Small World", "Pirates of the Caribbean", "In a Tiki tiki tiki tiki tiki room", etc...

Zz.

I work best in response to cattle prods and the crack of a whip.

Folk music or some other subdued, relaxing music (Enya, for example) also works for me - as long as it's not too heavily into electrical instruments. At home, I've also been known to just turn on the TV just for the sound - at least the TV sounds better than heavy metal or rap.

Don't lie BobG. We know you secretly blast NWA on your headphones :smile:

:redface: I didn't realize that it was a multiple-entry poll until after I voted, so I missed some categories.
I prefer silence when I'm trying to concentrate on something, but my work doesn't require concentration. Nonetheless, I'm too lazy to walk across the room and put the stereo on. Sometimes I leave the ecologizer on even when not smoking, because it makes a nice white noise. That also helps me hear on the phone if my boss is making a noise with something else.
When I do listen to music, it's pop or rock under normal circumstances. If it's a live band, then I love blues as well. For some reason, it does nothing for me if it's a recording. Cowboy **** is my third favourite thing in life... right after AIDS and the taxation department.

Danger said:
ecologizer

Is this some new-age device which turns electricity into habitats for wildlife?

- Warren

That makes perfect sense chroot; coming from you, that worries me.
'Ecologizer' is the only brand name that I know for those little personal-size air filtering machines. I'm the only smoker at work, so I have one at my station. There are 3 of them at home, too, because W is allergic to smoke.

If you like Electronic Music -

William Orbit

http://www.williamorbit.com/ - put the cursor on the Rippleforms image.

I am listening to Hello Waveforms, Orbit's latest album.

Surfin (3rd tune) is pretty good, as is the 4th tune, "You Know Too Much About Flying Saucers". :biggrin:

Click on "Wavegirls" on the left - pretty cool :cool:

Last edited:
If I'm working in the office or at home (usually brain draining thinking and writing up reports) I prefer silence or background hum of the TV on really quiet. If I'm working in the lab alone I dig out all my old cassette tapes and dance around to a bit of old skool dance or indie music. Working in the lab with lots of people we usually stick to BBC radio 1 or a local chart/pop station.

I used to share a lab with a guy that listened to free form jazz, that really did my head in :yuck:

lately i listen to hip hop and rap. its odd cause i don't listen to that much regularly, but when I'm working, it has a steady beat that i tap or bob my head to and if get frurstrated, there's plenty of cussing to be had while maintaining my rythym. i prefer older stuff because i know all the lyrics and whenever i pause to think i can spit out some rhymes.

sometimes i'll do the classical thing, but i find it distracting a lot of the time too. if I'm doing something quiet, like yoga or reading, i like techno cause there's no words and its mostly just a beat.

Stravinsky improves grades.

Whatever junk's blasting out of the radio to be honest, but preferably rock or pop at a modest volume, and I can put up with classical music as long as it's not late-Baroque (no, your harpsichord is not loud enough for a solo yet :P)

Just some guy said:
Whatever junk's blasting out of the radio to be honest, but preferably rock or pop at a modest volume, and I can put up with classical music as long as it's not late-Baroque (no, your harpsichord is not loud enough for a solo yet :P)

What are you talking about? Late Baroque IS the gem of classical music!

1. How does music affect productivity?

Numerous studies have shown that listening to music while working can improve productivity. This is because music can help to improve mood, reduce stress and anxiety, and increase focus and concentration.

2. What type of music is best for working?

The type of music that is best for working varies from person to person. Some people prefer instrumental music, while others find lyrics distracting. It is important to find music that you personally find enjoyable and helps you to focus.

3. Can music hinder productivity?

In some cases, music can hinder productivity. This is typically seen in tasks that require a lot of attention and focus, such as reading or writing. In these cases, it is best to listen to music without lyrics or to listen to music during breaks rather than while performing the task.

4. Is there a specific volume that is best for listening to music while working?

The volume of the music should be low enough to not be distracting, but loud enough to provide a background noise. It is recommended to keep the volume at or below 70 decibels, which is about the level of a normal conversation.

5. Can listening to music while working improve creativity?

Yes, listening to music while working has been shown to improve creativity. This is because music can stimulate the brain and help to break through mental blocks. However, the type of music and volume may vary for each individual, so it is important to find what works best for you.