1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Music Instrument

1. May 17, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a stringed musical intstrument from a remote tribe in Africa sets up a standing wave along the .75 m length of the string. This length corresponds to the distance between the first node and the seocnd node. The string has a mass of 11.5 grams. The strings vibrates 300 times every 2.5 seconds. what is the velocity of the wave length? and what is the string tension.

2. Relevant equations
    i would be fine in finding the string tension after i find the velocity however, i can't seem to approach in finding the velocity of the wave length

L = .75 m
    T = 2.5 sec

landa / 2 = wavelength, thus wavelength = 2*Length which equals to 1.5 m.
    But i don't get what they mean when the string vibrates 300 times every 2.5 seconds. Would this setence have to do in solving the volicty? Does vibration has anything dealing in finding with the frequency?

velocity = wavelength*frequency

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2007 #2

hage567

Homework Helper

Yes, they are describing the frequency of vibration. What is the definition of frequency?

4. May 17, 2007 #3
    the number of waves that pass a given point each second. Is it another term of saying wave? vibration = wave?

So.. 300waves/ 2.5 second = that means each second there is 120 waves? so.. 120 Hz?

5. May 17, 2007 #4

hage567

Homework Helper

Yes, the frequency is 120 Hz.

6. May 17, 2007 #5
    once again, thx!

7. May 17, 2007 #6

hage567

Homework Helper

You're welcome!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?