Mellow Jazz & Blues Music: Recommendations Wanted

• Music
  • Thread starter Smurf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
In summary, the conversation was about recommendations for mellow music, specifically jazz and blues. The conversation included suggestions for ambient electronic music, Italian baroque, Chuck Mangione, the Turtle Island String Quartet, the Cinematic Orchestra, Leo Kottke, Stereolab, Vince Guaraldi, Aaron Copland, George Benson, Kenny G, Tangerine Dream, Windham Hill label artists, Vivaldi, and Yanni. Some members also shared their preferences for slower, more soothing music for studying.
Smurf
I'm looking for some mellow stuff. Jazz, Blues, that kind of thing. Any recommendations?

Science news on Phys.org
It doesn't get any more "mellow" than ambient electronic music.. Look into this stuff; it's awesome. Sample it on DI's Chillout section if you want: www.di.fm.

I'm not really into that electronic computer stuff. I like my instruments.

Boo..

:smile:

Come on! Someone with mature tastes?

mmm are you looking for more modern stuff? lyrics or instrumental?

Yes, but not exclusively and both.

http://danadler.com/dansolos/

Smurf said:
I'm looking for some mellow stuff. Jazz, Blues, that kind of thing. Any recommendations?

OK, going possibly out of your "box", how about some Italian baroque? I can recommend without hesitation anything and everything by Corelli, especially his string sonata Opus 5.

Zz.

Actually, italian baroque fits perfectly with any occasion or mood.
Just my opinion, anyway.

How about Chuck Mangione.

You know I've always heard him mentioned on "King of the Hill" as mascot of megalo-mart, but never knew who he was until I listened to one of his songs on a jazz sampler cd. The song was called "Viola" and it was pretty cool jazz.

Any more jazz recommendations?

The turtle Island String Quartet is a very easy to listen to Jazz group. A lot of afficionados dismiss them as being "too easy" to listen to, but those are the kind who listen to music that makes tea curdle.

If you listen to NPR, you will hear snippets of TISQ during segues.

While on the subject of NPR segues, another musician that I like (not Jazz) that regularly appears "between stories" is Leo Kottke. I'm not sure if any single album is "great" but you could make a fantastic "collection" of his best works. He's a great guitarist who strddles the lines between classical, folk, and pop. Imagine if Bach tried to play a banjo tune on a 12-string guitar.

Check out the Cinematic Orchestra.

Contemporary jazz. It's absolutely stunning. One of the few things I'd be willing to suggest to someone whose musical tastes I have no idea about is to get onto Amazon right now and buy 'Every Day', I'm certain that you won't be disappointed.

So certain, in fact, that I've found you a link!

It's less than US$14 too, that's insanely cheap. I paid that in £s!

Chi Meson said:
While on the subject of NPR segues, another musician that I like (not Jazz) that regularly appears "between stories" is Leo Kottke. I'm not sure if any single album is "great"...
I think his very first album Six and Twelve String Guitar with the armadillo on the jacket qualifies as "great". I was there, so to speak, when it came out, and people were reccomending it and passing it around exitedly all over the place. It was an original, stunning sound, and accessible to anyone who likes music.

Then, of course, in later albums, Leo started to sing along with his playing...(bleh!)

Stereolab
I would recommend you try the album "Sounddust" first if you do not know any of their music yet.

http://www.stereolab.co.uk/

Vince Guaraldi comes to mind. His more famous work includes the music to the Peanuts cartoons. He wrote some really nice stuff.

There are several threads on GD with lists of classical music - probably a few months ago.

I recently listened to "Our Town" (1940) by Aaron Copland (US Composer). Like much of Copland's composition, e.g. Appalacian Spring, it is a beautiful piece of music and very soothing.

There are many classical pieces from which to choose.

I agree with Jelfish - Vince Guaraldi is good.

I second dduardo's recommendation of Chuck Magione and also Chick Corea and his band Return to Forever (jazz-fusion), which included guitarists Earl Klugh and Al DiMeola, bassist Stanley Clarke, among others. Most members of the band have done individual projects or worked with other bands.

See also Weather Report and Spyro Gyra (Jazz-Pop, Crossover Jazz, Smooth Jazz, Fusion).

Pat Metheny has some really interesting stuff - jazz guitar.

Just about anything on the Windham Hill Label - guitarists Will Ackerman and Michael Hedges, and pianist George Winston and Liz Story, and many others play some soft jazz and new age music.

Windham Hill - http://www.windham.com/index.jsp [Broken]

See also Narada - http://www.narada.com/

and Higher Octave - http://www.higheroctave.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
George Benson would fit the OP's bill.

Kenny G :tongue2:

Knavish said:
It doesn't get any more "mellow" than ambient electronic music.. Look into this stuff; it's awesome.

yeah tangerine dream's 220 volt live is one of my favourite discs
B00001NFFV.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Astronuc said:
Just about anything on the Windham Hill Label - guitarists Will Ackerman and Michael Hedges, and pianist George Winston and Liz Story, and many others play some soft jazz and new age music.

Windham Hill - http://www.windham.com/index.jsp [Broken]

Yeah, the Windham Hill Label is excellent to have as soothing background music (the Winter Solstice more so than the Summer which is a little faster tempo-wise). I have the sixth edition of the Winter Solstice series, and it can be listened to anytime of the year.

Mellow jazz, like the old-style ballads (Moonlight Serenade, Marie Elena, etc), is generally what I prefer as well. Smooth jazz also works, but I don't want to be constantly reminded of the urban feel of the music. Save the Big Band jazz and swing stuff for dancing. Sing Sing Sing gets one ones' nerves after a while, too over-the-top IMO.

Some of the slower tracks on LoTR, RoTK, and the Twin Towers work remarkably well for study music. Same goes with the last three tracks of the Gladiator soundtrack, any from Mists of Avalon, and also William's The Terminal.

Classically, Vivaldi's slower songs can make good ambient study music. Sergei Prokofiev's Lieutenant Kije is also cool to listen to, a good mixture of classical styles and modernist tendencies throughout the music, though its a little too intensive in my opinion for being "mellow".

honestrosewater said:
Kenny G :tongue2:
Yanni!

Chi Meson said:
Yanni!
I LIKE Yanni! :grumpy: My kids like Yanni. :grumpy: My animals like Yanni. :grumpy:

Evo said:
I LIKE Yanni! :grumpy: My kids like Yanni. :grumpy: My animals like Yanni. :grumpy:
That's funny, I thought it was spelled Yawny. :biggrin:

recently I've bee listening to Jelly Roll Morton's (prominent Jazz pianist back in his days) music, if you're searching for a sample, try listening to The Crave

Otherwise I usually listen to some classical music, pieces by chopin have been a favorite of mine, Debussy, Bach, etc...

A lot of the contemporary versions of Jazz as well as other genres are just "too out there" for me, it's still great music, but I prefer the classics. Rock and Roll classics are also a favorite of mine. Sinatra is nice at times, but its just not something I can listen to repetitively, gets me all emotionally drained.

honestrosewater said:
That's funny, I thought it was spelled Yawny. :biggrin:
Put a feral cat in your car, trying to take them to the vet, the cat is ripping the inside of the car apart, trying to get out. Pop in a Yanni cd and the cat will start slowly swaying back and forth and humming to the music. Works on small children also. :biggrin:

... ok. What's Yanni?

Smurf said:
... ok. What's Yanni?
He's a Greek pianist.

I thought he was a singer. I think I saw him on Oprah once, when I didn't manage to change the channel fast enough. :grumpy:

(Just joking, Evo, I've never heard much of his music.)

John Coltrane and Miles Davis for classic jazz. For more modern Jazz, try Diana Krall - she's from B.C.

Jazz rap is my favourite genre of music. For great lyrics to jazzy beats try Gang Starr, A Tribe Called Quest, and De La Soul. Other artists and groups that do some jazz rap are Digital Underground and Pete Rock.

Last edited:
Evo said:
you,your kids and animals have got company...I Like Yanni too :smile: !

Evo said:
I'm sorry.

Really.

For so many reasons. :biggrin:

How about John Tesh?

For some newer stuff, you could try Pat Metheny. I'm more of a traditionalist, so I prefer his Trio stuff, but if you like world music influence mixed with smooth, lyrical Jazz Guitar, then you should check out his recordings with the Pat Metheny Group.

As for some more traditional stuff, that is still easy to listen to, check out Ahmad Jamal, McCoy Tyner's "revelations", and (of course) Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue" and "Miles Smiles". Birelli Lagrene's "Standards" album is nice too, as long as you like guitar being the primary instrument. And look into some Thelonius Monk as well, there are billions of compilations and "best of" recordings on him, so look for some of those.

Chi Meson said:
I'm sorry. Really. For so many reasons. :biggrin:

How about John Tesh?
Yanni, Tesh, and David Lanz fall into the same genre - New Age (Contemporary Instrumental, Progressive Electronic).

Yanni has some really nice pieces, like Aria. But my biggest issue with his music (and that of Lanz, album - Cristofori's Dream) is that it is often redundant or repetitioius, especially within a given piece. When I hear the same phrase 4, 5, 6+, it ruins the piece for me. I don't know much about Tesh.

Hilary Stagg has some nice harp music. His album "Gandalf" is really nice, especially "Shine On Full Moon" and "Peaceful Heart".

In more a jazz style, pianist Keiko Matsui, is really good.

I would recommend Der Spyra (HomeListeningisKillingClubs - yes, that's a real album title - tunes Hypersonic and Iceland) and Øystein Sevåg (Album - Bridge, Track - Cobalt and Album - Link, My Heart).

Of course, Tangerine Dream is great.

Some of the modern electronic music is only available from www.groove.nl (click on the catalog button at top) - source of contemprary electronic music.

Astronuc said:
I don't know much about Tesh.

Think of him as a Yanni Wannabe.

<h2>1. What is mellow jazz and blues music?</h2><p>Mellow jazz and blues music is a genre of music that combines elements of jazz and blues to create a smooth and laid-back sound. It typically features slow tempos, expressive melodies, and minimal instrumentation.</p><h2>2. Who are some famous artists in the mellow jazz and blues genre?</h2><p>Some famous artists in the mellow jazz and blues genre include Billie Holiday, Norah Jones, Miles Davis, and John Coltrane. Other notable artists include Etta James, Chet Baker, and Ella Fitzgerald.</p><h2>3. What are some recommended songs or albums in the mellow jazz and blues genre?</h2><p>Some recommended songs and albums in this genre include "Blue in Green" by Miles Davis, "At Last" by Etta James, "The Girl from Ipanema" by Stan Getz and Joao Gilberto, and "Kind of Blue" by John Coltrane. Other popular albums include "Come Away with Me" by Norah Jones and "Sketches of Spain" by Miles Davis.</p><h2>4. Is mellow jazz and blues music suitable for relaxation or background music?</h2><p>Yes, mellow jazz and blues music is often considered suitable for relaxation and background music. Its soothing and calming qualities make it a popular choice for unwinding after a long day or setting a relaxed ambiance.</p><h2>5. Are there any newer artists or songs in the mellow jazz and blues genre?</h2><p>Yes, there are many newer artists and songs in the mellow jazz and blues genre. Some newer artists include Gregory Porter, Melody Gardot, and Jose James. Some popular newer songs include "Don't Know Why" by Norah Jones and "Honeycomb" by Kadhja Bonet.</p>

1. What is mellow jazz and blues music?

Mellow jazz and blues music is a genre of music that combines elements of jazz and blues to create a smooth and laid-back sound. It typically features slow tempos, expressive melodies, and minimal instrumentation.

2. Who are some famous artists in the mellow jazz and blues genre?

Some famous artists in the mellow jazz and blues genre include Billie Holiday, Norah Jones, Miles Davis, and John Coltrane. Other notable artists include Etta James, Chet Baker, and Ella Fitzgerald.

3. What are some recommended songs or albums in the mellow jazz and blues genre?

Some recommended songs and albums in this genre include "Blue in Green" by Miles Davis, "At Last" by Etta James, "The Girl from Ipanema" by Stan Getz and Joao Gilberto, and "Kind of Blue" by John Coltrane. Other popular albums include "Come Away with Me" by Norah Jones and "Sketches of Spain" by Miles Davis.

4. Is mellow jazz and blues music suitable for relaxation or background music?

Yes, mellow jazz and blues music is often considered suitable for relaxation and background music. Its soothing and calming qualities make it a popular choice for unwinding after a long day or setting a relaxed ambiance.

5. Are there any newer artists or songs in the mellow jazz and blues genre?

Yes, there are many newer artists and songs in the mellow jazz and blues genre. Some newer artists include Gregory Porter, Melody Gardot, and Jose James. Some popular newer songs include "Don't Know Why" by Norah Jones and "Honeycomb" by Kadhja Bonet.