Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Music recommendation?

1. Dec 4, 2007 #1
    Can anyone recommend some good symphony orchestra music that would fit well with the construction of a science video? Topics would possibly include evolution, origins of universe, galaxies, history of Earth, etc..

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2007 #2

Gold Member

Well, Strauss seemed to work pretty well for Stanley Kubrick.
    You might also want to see if you can dig up some old copies of Sagan's Cosmos series from PBS. I seem to recall the music being quite nicely suited to the broadcasts.
    Basically, though, I'd just go with whatever evokes the sort of feelings in you that you want to convey to the audience. Try just listening to a classical station for a few days and jot down the names of the pieces that you like.
  4. Dec 5, 2007 #3
    Plenty suitable music in this thread

Additional suggestions

Evolution: Ravel Bolero

Origine of universe: Smetana Die Moldau

History of the Earth Edvard Grieg, the Peer Gynt suites

Several tunes with various moods.

Note: have no sound on this computer So I hope Youtube is not fooling me
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  5. Dec 5, 2007 #4
    Some strong music

Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No.1

Beethoven Violin concerto
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  6. Dec 5, 2007 #5

Gold Member

If you are planning on a presentation that emphasizes the importance of interconnections on these scales, I suggest that you listen to Bach's Brandenburg Concertos. They feature themes that are developed, repeated, inverted, played backward and forward against one another, etc.
  7. Dec 5, 2007 #6
    Does it have to be orchestra music?
  8. Dec 5, 2007 #7
    Not necessarily.

Also, thanks everyone.
  9. Dec 6, 2007 #8
  10. Dec 6, 2007 #9

Gold Member

11. Dec 6, 2007 #10
  12. Dec 6, 2007 #11
  13. Dec 6, 2007 #12

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you like solo piano music, you can choose from a number of short catchy pieces from the "Goldberg Variations."

They have recently remastered Glen Gould's 1951 recording of the variations. They managed to digitally remove his tendency to hum along.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?