Music - why do you listen to the music you listen to?

• Music
  • Thread starter Norman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
In summary: well, to get the full experience. It's sort of like the Gestalt school of thought, you have to listen to the whole thing to...well, to get the full experience.
Norman
Why do you listen to the music you listen to?

Some people listen to music simply because it is pleasing to their ears or because they like the rhythms, or whatever.

I, personally, listen to music usually for the lyrical message and musical feelings. For instance, I have a wide range of tastes from folk, mountain string band music to hardcore, straightedge punk to delta blues to rocksteady and reggae. My family and friends often wonder what is the string that ties my musical tastes together. I have thought long and hard on this. I think it is the soul and message of the music. They don't have to be particularly great musicians, nor do they need to play prolific or groundbreaking music. (Though musicianship sure makes listening easier.) But there needs to be an authenticity and sincerity that comes across for me to enjoy the music.

The blues, mountain music and reggae speaks of hardship and struggle to me. There is something both uplifting and grounding in feeling another persons struggles come out through their music. I feel in sharing their struggle, sorrow, hope and elation, it let's out those same feelings from me and I feel it is OK to have those feelings.

Punk and hardcore tap into the anger, energy, disillusion and simplicity of existence for me. I really think there is something to be said about 3 chords and the truth. There is something very liberating and primal to these genres to me. It is also likely closely linked to memories of my youth and going to basement shows, playing in bands, writing the music you love and playing it for your friends.

So, why do you listen to the music you listen to?

Science news on Phys.org
Strangely enough, a desire to separate my tastes from a person I was beginning to develop some serious resentment for pushed me over the edge between your standard rock tunes to folk music.

I've always had a preference of acoustic instruments over electric/electronic instruments and lyrics are more important than deep instrumental compositions, so it didn't take all that much to push me over the edge. In fact, the only reason I stuck to the standard pop fare as long as I did is that there's very few radio stations that support folk music (or bluegrass), so it takes a little more motivation to find the music to listen to in the first place.

I mostly listen to the music that I love to play. As a guitarist/vocalist, I tend to choose music that features those, though there are lots of exceptions. I have 400 CDs loaded into a carousel and leave it set on "random", so I might hear a sequence of songs by: AC/DC, Clapton, Union Station, Vince Gill, BTO, Johnny Lang, KD Lang, Carley Simon, GE Smith, Muddy Waters, Johnny Winter, Buffalo Springfield, Steve Wariner, Yes, Traffic, Fleetwood Mac (pre-1970s), the Hollies, John Lee Hooker... It goes on and on. The only thread that ties them together is my enjoyment of them. I like the "random" setting, so Joni Mitchell might lead into BB King, into Jesse Colin Young, Poco, T-bone Walker...

I have probably single-handedly boosted the sales of music that doesn't get much air-play, because nieces and nephews are always breaking in during cookouts asking "Who IS that?"

I listen to Nirvana because it gives me an adrenaline surge when I feel sluggish or depressed. There's songs like Very Ape, Aneurysm, Negative Creep, Territorial Pissings, and so on that are just wondrous.

I listen to it because it's nice :)

Now I listen to a lot of folk, bluegrass, and what's called "singer-songwriter" (which I guess is modern folk).

But I listen to a lot of jazz too (in fact as I'm writing this I have it on the radio). I'm not crazy about jazz but my coworker has sports talk on all day :yuck: and it's an acceptable neutralizer.

I pick my music to enhance the mood I'm in. And that can range from wicked guitar music to baroque chamber music.

There is nothing better than epic symphonies, like that of Mahler or Shostakovitch, and a host of other works of 20th century composers.

waht said:
There is nothing better than epic symphonies, like that of Mahler or Shostakovitch, and a host of other works of 20th century composers.

But why? That is the purpose of this thread, not what, but why.

Norman said:
But why? That is the purpose of this thread, not what, but why.

Because it takes you on an epic journey as an escape. It's a form of enjoying art, rather than just being pleasing to the ear. It's sort of like the Gestalt school of thought, you have to listen to the whole thing to derive any meaning.

I listen to Nirvana because it gives me an adrenaline surge when I feel sluggish or depressed.
Nothing like self deprecating music to make you feel better.
That's why I don't like rap. It's too arrogant. Why do I want to listen to this guy talk about how wonderful he is and how much better his life is than mine?

I use music as white noise, something consistent and repetitive which I can shut out while my mind wanders the paths I choose.

I prefer to block out classic rock over most others.

Music is synaesthetic in that it allows you to "hear" emotions. I listen to it for the impact it has on my mood.

zoobyshoe said:
Music is synaesthetic in that it allows you to "hear" emotions. I listen to it for the impact it has on my mood.
When I look at your photos, I imagine Coltrane or early Miles Davis playing in the background. Your subjects put the lie to that, though.

I listen to a wide range of music for a wide range of reasons.

For what Integral mentioned, I prefer Melodic Metal like Dimmu Borgir or Cradle of Filth. I generally use this at work, where I'm grinding away at scientific coding.

When I'm pursuing some intellectual concepts (neurophysics lately) that aren't required for a class (i.e., I'm actually interested) I use classical music because of it's lack of lyrics and mood-setting. It works well for consuming new material.

When I'm feeling manic, I like Mindless Self Indulgence

When I'm taking long drives across Alaska, I like Iron Maiden and Pink Floyd.

When I'm chilling and drinking homebrew, I like Bluegrass.

I listen, mainly to two genres(don't laugh): Classical Music and old school rap. Both seem very different, and they are. However, in these genres, I can see an expression of emotions and feelings more than any other genre so it most like true art.

I like pretty much all music though some certain types more so than others. I don't like most rap, electronica, and pop country though there are some of each that I do like. I primarily enjoy variations on rock, blues, and jazz. For a while now I have been listening mostly to Punk for the up tempo and adrenaline rush sort of feeling.

And that is the primary reason I like the particular music that I listen to, because it is emotive and grabs me. For the most part you could say I am fairly "style over substance" when it comes to music though I do like many songs and bands for their lyrics I am mostly concerned with the music itself and how it makes me feel. I am also mostly fond of music that I consider 'interesting' such as experimental and cross overs between genres.

Music I like...
Punk, Blues, Jazz (particularly big band), Swing, Rock-a-billy, Bubblegum, Ska Punk (or fourth wave, I don't know much in the way of real ska), "Alternative", Classic Rock, Metal, Goth, Irish Folk/Rebel, Classical, Industrial (particularly noise and the harder variants), Blue Grass, World, Standards/Traditional Pop, and a host of variants on the preceding.

turbo-1 said:
When I look at your photos, I imagine Coltrane or early Miles Davis playing in the background. Your subjects put the lie to that, though.

Wow, that's interesting: it never occurred to me anyone would associate any music with the photos.

I start with all music and whittle my way down. As others have said, the choice reflects the mood one is in, but I am a sucker for (admittedly repetitious) classic rock, music that I grew up with around my second decade.

Music I don't listen to? "Country," conservative Christian music, teen rap, commercial Latin music, gratuitous metal.

zoobyshoe said:
Wow, that's interesting: it never occurred to me anyone would associate any music with the photos.
Think smoky sax - maybe Harlem Nocturne for the more languid poses, or perhaps Night Train for the edgier subjects, though I'm willing to bet that neither of those classics has ever been played in the clubs where you sketch.

turbo-1 said:
Think smoky sax - maybe Harlem Nocturne for the more languid poses, or perhaps Night Train for the edgier subjects, though I'm willing to bet that neither of those classics has ever been played in the clubs where you sketch.
Sounds about perfect.

At this point I have 57 shots collected. I'll send you a CD of the full sized files and you can get to work making a DVD with Ken Burns type treatment of the pics with background music. We'll split the profits. I can see sales soaring into the tens of dollars!

zoobyshoe said:
I can see sales soaring into the tens of dollars!
You dreamer, you! When do we start?

turbo-1 said:
You dreamer, you! When do we start?

Hahahahahahaha!

PM me with your mailing address. I'll burn the CD and send it day after Christmas when the mail volume plummets. If nothing else you can post it on YouTube.

Seriously, you can't give all that work away like that, and that's what a Youtube posting would be - a big freebie.

Probably your best outlet would be a showing at a small local gallery, and a hook-up with a printer who can make reproductions available to customers - maybe the gallery-owner could help there. I'd certainly advise against selling any originals until you've got some sort of feel for how they might go -your portraits are top-notch, as about anybody on PF will attest.

Edit: Ask the gallery-owner to keep some nice jazzy sax playing in the background. :biggrin:

Last edited:
I listen to music the demonstrates skill. Whether it's technical skill (Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, RHCP, Eric Clapton, etc) or "holy crap nothing we did individually was that impressive but when you put it all together we kick arse" skill (Incubus). Or it can even just be "amplifies my mood" kind of skill. It just can't be something the middle schooler's down the road can do in their garage.

turbo-1 said:
Seriously, you can't give all that work away like that, and that's what a Youtube posting would be - a big freebie.

Probably your best outlet would be a showing at a small local gallery, and a hook-up with a printer who can make reproductions available to customers - maybe the gallery-owner could help there. I'd certainly advise against selling any originals until you've got some sort of feel for how they might go -your portraits are top-notch, as about anybody on PF will attest.

Edit: Ask the gallery-owner to keep some nice jazzy sax playing in the background. :biggrin:

Because you say "originals" I'm not sure if you've switched to talking about drawings or if you're still talking photographs, but either way I think it's an excellent idea.

zoobyshoe said:
Because you say "originals" I'm not sure if you've switched to talking about drawings or if you're still talking photographs, but either way I think it's an excellent idea.
I hope you follow up on it. You deserve some exposure in a gallery setting - perhaps with a bit of an "opening" with a little wine and cheese or some other low-key ice-breakers so you can get to know collectors in your area. You might pick up some commissions that way, too. Hold onto your originals (drawings) if possible - if your work catches on, you'll be glad you did.

Remember that you don't have to go hat-in-hand to gallery-owners. You're offering them an opportunity to be the first to feature a new collection by a previously unknown artist. If I had a small gallery in an urban area, I'd jump at that.

turbo-1 said:

If the images for the video were kept small and relatively low rez they would not be usable like the original photos/portraits. It would give Zoob exposure. Enough interest on youtube could sway more gallery owners. There are already some people who posted free video content on youtube that now have jobs with big tv production companies.

I feel that great music is a form of communication greater then just language itself. I think really great music is a direct expression of the artists' subjective feelings, and when combined with great lyrics, creates a metaphyical product that allows listeners to access the higher realms of possibility of conscious thought.
I tend to relate to punk rock the best, since i feel it's speed bypasses some of my cognitive filtering process, allowing me to experience that metaphysical essence in a more immediate way.

Last edited:
TheStatutoryApe said:
If the images for the video were kept small and relatively low rez they would not be usable like the original photos/portraits. It would give Zoob exposure. Enough interest on youtube could sway more gallery owners. There are already some people who posted free video content on youtube that now have jobs with big tv production companies.
If Zooby lived in Des Moines, I would agree whole-heartedly. He does not, and that situation makes a big difference. I'd rather see him make a big splash on a local scene than get a "ho-hum" cynical reception. His work is worthy of some real attention and that's not too likely to result from a brief exposure (however widespread) on YouTube. Like I suggested, a modest opening with invited collectors, a bit of wine, cheese, and jazz, would be a perfect setting, IMHO. Zooby's work is often dark and sometimes edgy - he deserves a shot, not just for his technical ability, but for his vision.

turbo-1 said:
If Zooby lived in Des Moines, I would agree whole-heartedly. He does not, and that situation makes a big difference. I'd rather see him make a big splash on a local scene than get a "ho-hum" cynical reception. His work is worthy of some real attention and that's not too likely to result from a brief exposure (however widespread) on YouTube. Like I suggested, a modest opening with invited collectors, a bit of wine, cheese, and jazz, would be a perfect setting, IMHO. Zooby's work is often dark and sometimes edgy - he deserves a shot, not just for his technical ability, but for his vision.

I agree about Zoob's talent. I would hope for all the best from his artistic endeavors aswell. Fortunately I believe the area that Zoob lives in is not bad as far as art galleries and appreciation of darker edgier work goes. He may also try up here in the LA/OC area. There is the Santora Art District in Santa Ana which I used to hang out in, though I think they focus mostly on latino and local artists. I think that Zoob would like it there. I agree that its quite possible Zoob's work could be lost in the miasma of the internet artist community, and that would be sad, but you never know and generally speaking just about any exposure is good exposure for an artist. Unfortunately the days of artists being discovered in small intimate gallery openings are all but dead.

It's original and creative. Perhaps just as importantly nearly no one else appreciates it, giving me the privilege of having even less in common with the common person.

I tend towards a lot of death metal/industrial metal. I am not goth or anything, but i like it because it sounds real angry, and that gets me pumped up. i mostly like it for the atmosphere.

I listen to music in the only 3 ways I think possible. First off I should note, that I have played bass for nearly 10 years and am knowledgeable in music theory and performance.

First off, the simplest is the way you listen to music everyday. You love the beat, or the lyrics, or the tone of vocals. Nothing real deep to be said here.

Second, is love for the instrument due to my musical knowledge. It is a lot easier to appreciate an AMAZING musician if you have tried to play the line. This ties in a lot with musical composition and just plain appreciation that someone could put the time, effort, and brilliance into creating masterpeieces for the love of music without money. The same as when a painter views a masterpeice, or a mathmatician looks at certain equations.

Third, is the musical landscape. I only get in this mode when I listen to music clearly (headphones) and devote all my attention to listening. Only certain music (see below) falls into this category due to compositional complexity. Nothing is more satisfying than listening to the music tell a story as if it were a fantasy or movie.

I think 2 and 3 are very closesly related and have been experienced a lot with people who listen to classical. In my case it is Fusion and 70's Progressive rock.

My tastes in music are all around the map though. I listen to a lot of older stuff and avant garde that doesn't get played much. Fusion, Jazz, Progressive, Funk, Classic Rock, world, and everything experimental...

Simple answer... Because it makes you happy.

turbo-1 said:
I mostly listen to the music that I love to play. As a guitarist/vocalist, I tend to choose music that features those, though there are lots of exceptions. I have 400 CDs loaded into a carousel and leave it set on "random", so I might hear a sequence of songs by: AC/DC, Clapton, ... Fleetwood Mac (pre-1970s)...
Ha ha! Not surprising that you'd want to make that qualification. I have similar constraints on a few other bands that suddenly went Pop! A couple that come to mind immediately are Jefferson Airplane (before the Starship nonsense) and Journey (before Steve Perry destroyed it).

<h2>1. Why do certain songs or genres of music evoke strong emotions in us?</h2><p>Music has a unique ability to tap into our emotions and memories. This is because music activates the same areas of the brain that are associated with emotions and memories. When we listen to a song that we have a strong emotional connection with, our brain releases dopamine, the "feel-good" chemical, which creates a positive association with that song. Additionally, lyrics and melodies can remind us of past experiences, triggering emotional responses.</p><h2>2. How does our brain determine what type of music we enjoy?</h2><p>Our musical preferences are shaped by a variety of factors, including our cultural background, personal experiences, and even genetics. Studies have shown that our brains respond differently to different types of music, and we tend to enjoy music that activates the reward centers in our brain. This is why some people may enjoy upbeat and energetic music, while others prefer mellow and soothing tunes.</p><h2>3. Can listening to music have a positive impact on our mental health?</h2><p>Yes, listening to music has been shown to have numerous benefits for our mental health. Music can reduce stress and anxiety, improve mood, and even aid in pain management. It has also been used as a form of therapy for individuals with mental health disorders, such as depression and PTSD.</p><h2>4. Why do we tend to gravitate towards certain songs or artists?</h2><p>Our musical preferences are often influenced by our social environment and the people around us. We may be exposed to certain songs or artists through friends, family, or media, and this exposure can shape our preferences. Additionally, our brains are wired to seek out patterns and familiarity, so we may be drawn to songs that have similar elements to ones we already enjoy.</p><h2>5. Is there a scientific reason for why certain songs get stuck in our head?</h2><p>Yes, the phenomenon of a song getting stuck in our head is known as "earworms," and it is a common experience for most people. Researchers have found that repetitive and catchy melodies, as well as songs with unexpected or unresolved musical patterns, are more likely to get stuck in our head. Our brain attempts to finish the unfinished pattern, causing the song to loop in our mind.</p>

1. Why do certain songs or genres of music evoke strong emotions in us?

Music has a unique ability to tap into our emotions and memories. This is because music activates the same areas of the brain that are associated with emotions and memories. When we listen to a song that we have a strong emotional connection with, our brain releases dopamine, the "feel-good" chemical, which creates a positive association with that song. Additionally, lyrics and melodies can remind us of past experiences, triggering emotional responses.

2. How does our brain determine what type of music we enjoy?

Our musical preferences are shaped by a variety of factors, including our cultural background, personal experiences, and even genetics. Studies have shown that our brains respond differently to different types of music, and we tend to enjoy music that activates the reward centers in our brain. This is why some people may enjoy upbeat and energetic music, while others prefer mellow and soothing tunes.

3. Can listening to music have a positive impact on our mental health?

Yes, listening to music has been shown to have numerous benefits for our mental health. Music can reduce stress and anxiety, improve mood, and even aid in pain management. It has also been used as a form of therapy for individuals with mental health disorders, such as depression and PTSD.

4. Why do we tend to gravitate towards certain songs or artists?

Our musical preferences are often influenced by our social environment and the people around us. We may be exposed to certain songs or artists through friends, family, or media, and this exposure can shape our preferences. Additionally, our brains are wired to seek out patterns and familiarity, so we may be drawn to songs that have similar elements to ones we already enjoy.

5. Is there a scientific reason for why certain songs get stuck in our head?

Yes, the phenomenon of a song getting stuck in our head is known as "earworms," and it is a common experience for most people. Researchers have found that repetitive and catchy melodies, as well as songs with unexpected or unresolved musical patterns, are more likely to get stuck in our head. Our brain attempts to finish the unfinished pattern, causing the song to loop in our mind.