What is the relationship between music and behavior?

• Music
  • Thread starter Paul Wilson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impact
In summary: (type of music) actually change a person's intelligence? And if so, is there a certain type of music that is better for boosting IQ?
Paul Wilson
I live in Northern Ireland, and we have many different groups of people that all listen to different / mixed types of songs.
I have observed for quite some time now (Years) that certain people that listen to certain music behave in certain ways.
The biggest impact music has had in Northern Ireland has been the annoying repetitive dance/rave music.

What effects music has on the brain I do not know. I consulted Microsoft's Encarta 2005 for some info on this, but it didn't have anything on music’s effects on the brain.

I'm not sure about where you live and what cultures of music you have there. But here is just a little chart / information table I have compiled from a series of silent tests I have secretly performed on people without knowing them / them realizing I’m testing them.

For the record; I am a fan of Rap, Rock and Metal.

Dance/Techno/Rave - Generally listened by those in adolescent years - Majority of those who listen to this music, have appeared to be 'Slow idiotic and mostly incompetent. Constantly in a state of anger, always vandalize public property or physically injure others for no reason. Always abuse drugs and alcohol. Mainly the British, but allot of the world know these types of people as Chavs (see www.chavscum.co.uk[/URL])[/I]

Rap - Generally listened by those in adolescent years - The minority of those who listen to this music turn into standardised Eminem’s and use drugs. Not always idiotic, incompetent, but about 60% of those who only listen to rap are ill-mannered.

Rock - Generally listened by those in adolescent years and the middle aged generation - The majority that listen to Rock music, are well mannered, polite, hard working people, and usually quite intelligent.

Metal - Generally listened by those in adolescent years - Quite a mixed genre of music. Majority are well mannered, polite, hard working, intelligent people. But those who are not are, Maniacally depressed, constantly angry, enjoy grotesque things such as dead bodies / animals.

Classical - Not very widely listened to. Despised by the Rave culture, Rap culture, liked by the rock and metal culture.

I have selected these genre's of music, as they are the most prominent in NI.

I have a theory for the reasoning behind music behaviour.

When listening to music, your brain releases more testosterone or [I]Forgot the name of the female equivalent to testosterone[/I] (Let's call Testosterone etc 'X') which in turn, makes you more hyper. The faster the music beats or more "active" it is, the more X your brain releases, causing you to do things you wouldn't normally do unless perhaps under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

What are your views on this subject?

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
I read somewhere about the Mozart Effect.

Students listening to Mozart music for a week had IQs 5-10 points higher than average. The IQ rise was only temporary though.

Music and the brain

Your thinking is sound (!) but testosterone is not released by the brain: note the similarity between the words testosterone and testicles, and draw your own picture...

However, music does indeed affect the brain, and can affect hormone production levels.

The brain is made of three different parts, the primitive part of the brain or brain stem, the so-called reptilian brain; the middle brain or mammalian brain; and the new brain which developed last, consisting of two brain hemispheres joined by a bridge, the corpus callosum.

Our brains receive music across all these different parts of the brain. Music is composed of several elements: pitch, rhythm, intensity and duration. Our perception of music is also affected by our ability to remember and interpret what we have just heard.

The intellect resides in the neocortex (new brain), which, as I said earlier, consists of two hemispheres connected by the corpus callosum. The right hemisphere specializes in the perception of the spatial elements of music (harmony and pitch) whereas the left hemisphere specializes in the perception of time elements, the progress of the music, which requires memory. For complete perception of the music, we need to have connection and cooperation between the two hemispheres.

Is this related to your area of interest? Should I post more?

Kate.

PS: Rock rules!

Last edited:
I don't believe that the type of music you listen to effects you mental abilities. Over the past 4 decades I have seen people do quite well in life, despite there tastes in music.

kate - "Your thinking is sound (!) but testosterone is not released by the brain: note the similarity between the words testosterone and testicles, and draw your own picture...

However, music does indeed affect the brain, and can affect hormone production levels"

Yes, true. But isn't it the testosterone levels that change your hormones?

btw, I finally remembered the female equivelent. Estrogen.

Been bugging me for ages. :p

What I am trying to find out is, as allready proved with mozart, can the style of music you listen to really define how quickly / easily you can pick up things, such as education, your surroundings, ability to accept other cultures etc etc.

The kind of question I am asking is quite complicated. Kate, you have told us that you enjoy listening to rock music. Your reply clearly shows intillect. Now think. If my theory is correct, being - the type of music you listen to defines your intillect - what sort of reply would you have given this topic had you be listening primarily to Rap, Dance, Rave, or any other genre of music.

Some of the figures may back my point here too. Think to the kind of schools we have here in the UK.

High schools seem to be over-run with the ones they call chavs. And high schools are for averaged teenagers. The majority in the high schools chavs are dim and listen to rave.

However. In a grammar school the majority of students there are metalheads or rockers.

Now. If those chavs had listened to rock instead of rave, perhaps they'd be sitting in a grammer school getting strait A's in subjects. Vice versa.

Last edited:
I listen to classical music, and I'd say I am dumb :uhh:

Bladibla said:
I listen to classical music, and I'd say I am dumb :uhh:
You may be underestimating what you know.

Why don't you take the test at www.iqtest.com and find your IQ.

Paul Wilson said:
You may be underestimating what you know.

Why don't you take the test at www.iqtest.com and find your IQ.

I'm not too sure.. I don't believe in the validity of IQ tests..

Bladibla said:
I'm not too sure.. I don't believe in the validity of IQ tests..
Well, at least it will set you in some place in a chart, and will atleast give us an idea on how smart you are, compared to others that have taken the test and their results.

No one will laugh at you if it's low, if that's what you're worrying about? It just shows them up to be an idiot.

Paul Wilson said:
Well, at least it will set you in some place in a chart, and will atleast give us an idea on how smart you are, compared to others that have taken the test and their results.

No one will laugh at you if it's low, if that's what you're worrying about? It just shows them up to be an idiot.

Its not that I'm worried about. If its low, i wouldn't be suprised as well. i think I am dumb. But even if it is high, i still believe its a bad thing, as when you get a relatively high IQ, you can't help but be proud of yourself, which can be somewhat fatal mistake.

I'll just hang around.. :zzz:

Music and the brain

To get back to Paul's original topic and away from IQ tests...

Let me clarify a few things about hormones in general, then I’ll try to answer part of your question.
Testosterone is not responsible for the control of hormone production. Testosterone is the major sex hormone in men and is produced mainly in the testes or testicles. This function of the testicles is controlled by the pituitary gland.
Hormones are produced by endocrine glands and are released into the blood stream. The pituitary gland oversees other glands and keeps hormone levels in check. It can cause changes in hormone production by other glands, by releasing its own special messenger hormones. The pituitary gland is also connected to the nervous system by a part of the brain called the hypothalamus. This is the part of the brain which instigates emotional behaviour and makes sure we are able to react quickly when faced with life threatening situations.

The latest theories suggest that our emotional responses to music are controlled by the amygdala, which is closely connected to the hypothalamus. The amygdala evaluates sensory input for its emotional meaning, receiving sensory information directly and quickly from the thalamus, a relay station for incoming information, before it has been processed by the conscious thinking part of the brain, the cortex.

Information about the music we are listening to is also received from the cortex but more slowly, which explains why we sometimes experience an immediate reaction upon hearing some types of music, such as crying when we hear a sad song in a minor key. It also explains why we might drive faster if we are listening to exciting music. These immediate responses, formed before the thinking part of the brain has had time to process the music, are automatic and largely outside our control.

Although the cortical pathways take a little longer to react to music, they do a more thorough job of analysing and reacting to music because they bring up memories related to the music we are hearing. This explains why you might cry whilst listening to songs that remind you of a failed love affair. While these memories may also influence our emotional responses to music, because we are consciously aware of them, our responses are more likely to be within our control.

In some circumstances, listening to music also seems to encourage the release of endorphins. These natural painkillers produced by the body can produce emotional responses. Recent UK research involving children with emotional and behavioural problems found that when Mozart was played during science lessons, children, whose behaviour was normally very disruptive, demonstrated improved concentration. Pulse rate, blood pressure and temperature reduced significantly, because the music increased the production of endorphins lowering blood pressure, which led to a reduction in corticosteroids and adrenalin slowing the body's metabolism and improving co-ordination.

This would appear to be related to the phenomenon you have observed. With me so far?
Kate.
:smile:

Last edited:
katelynndevere said:
To get back to Paul's original topic and away from IQ tests...

Let me clarify a few things about hormones in general, then I’ll try to answer part of your question.
Testosterone is not responsible for the control of hormone production. Testosterone is the major sex hormone in men and is produced mainly in the testes or testicles. This function of the testicles is controlled by the pituitary gland.
Hormones are produced by endocrine glands and are released into the blood stream. The pituitary gland oversees other glands and keeps hormone levels in check. It can cause changes in hormone production by other glands, by releasing its own special messenger hormones. The pituitary gland is also connected to the nervous system by a part of the brain called the hypothalamus. This is the part of the brain which instigates emotional behaviour and makes sure we are able to react quickly when faced with life threatening situations.

The latest theories suggest that our emotional responses to music are controlled by the amygdala, which is closely connected to the hypothalamus. The amygdala evaluates sensory input for its emotional meaning, receiving sensory information directly and quickly from the thalamus, a relay station for incoming information, before it has been processed by the conscious thinking part of the brain, the cortex.

Information about the music we are listening to is also received from the cortex but more slowly, which explains why we sometimes experience an immediate reaction upon hearing some types of music, such as crying when we hear a sad song in a minor key. It also explains why we might drive faster if we are listening to exciting music. These immediate responses, formed before the thinking part of the brain has had time to process the music, are automatic and largely outside our control.

Although the cortical pathways take a little longer to react to music, they do a more thorough job of analysing and reacting to music because they bring up memories related to the music we are hearing. This explains why you might cry whilst listening to songs that remind you of a failed love affair. While these memories may also influence our emotional responses to music, because we are consciously aware of them, our responses are more likely to be within our control.

In some circumstances, listening to music also seems to encourage the release of endorphins. These natural painkillers produced by the body can produce emotional responses. Recent UK research involving children with emotional and behavioural problems found that when Mozart was played during science lessons, children, whose behaviour was normally very disruptive, demonstrated improved concentration. Pulse rate, blood pressure and temperature reduced significantly, because the music increased the production of endorphins lowering blood pressure, which led to a reduction in corticosteroids and adrenalin slowing the body's metabolism and improving co-ordination.

This would appear to be related to the phenomenon you have observed. With me so far?
Kate.
Only and just about. So classical music (I'm listening to Mozart right now ;) ) seems to have a posative effect when it comes to concentrating and attitude.
You mentioned that fast exciting music may cause someone who is driving to speed up. Perhaps the what we know as chavs, that listen to that music get over excited and it leads them to the point they must physically harm others and vandalize property.

I wonder if there would be any way to test this.

I'd test it upon myself, but I really despise rave.

Music and the brain

Hi Paul,

If I'm getting too technical, stop me. If there's anything I haven't explained properly, please say, and I'll try to make it clearer. I'm really enjoying this conversation.

It does indeed appear that certain types of music can have a positive effect on concentration and attitude, in particular, baroque music, because of its complex and intertwined melodies and counterparts. These characteristics are shared by jazz (I know - urghh!), and progressive rock and metal music, especially if it has complex drum and guitar riffs.

It might indeed be the case that certain individuals experience more of the immediate responses to music than those more measured responses produced by the cortex, which is the part of your brain that is 'awake'. It may also be the case that certain types of music are less likely to produce deep-seated emotional responses.

There are several ways to test these theories, and in fact a lot of research has been done in this area. If you want to conduct your own test, all you need is a stopwatch and a pad of paper, and some volunteers. I'll post more about how to do this tomorrow.

By the way, my IQ score varies from 153 to 39 (amoeba!), depending on which test I take and how much caffeine and nicotine I've imbibed, so you shouldn't set too much store by them.

Kate.

PS: Rock still rules!

So the complexity of the music and its intstruments may play a part in it.

Theory two.

Those that do listen to classical music, may correlate with high intillect due to the complex and amount of instruments.
But those who listen to Rave or minimalist music, would not have as mentally active cortex as those who listen to classical music, as there would be maybe only 3 or 4 different notes played the whole time. And not even ones of any instrument, but generated by a synthasizer or computer.

And please, don't tone your talk down for me Kate. I'm learning from you, and I like it. ;)

What is this test you say I can conduct?

Music and the brain

Hi Paul,

Here’s a test you can do fairly easily to see what effects different types of music can have on the physiology of the listener.

Equipment: notepad & pen, stopwatch, thermometer if you have one, selection of different types of music, a quiet room.
You’ll need at least one person (subject) to take part in the test, this could be yourself. The more people take part in the test, the more useful the end results will be, in determining what effects, if any, are observed.

Step one: Explain to your subject what you’re going to do. Invite your subject to relax in a quiet room. There should be no distractions. Make sure the subject is comfortable. Ask them to relax for five minutes.

Step two: Take your subject’s pulse, by placing your fingers on their wrist (it is important not to use your thumb, because your thumb has a strong pulse point and you might read your own pulse instead of that of your subject). If you have a thermometer, you can take their temperature, too. Make a note of these initial readings on your notepad.

Step three: Play five minutes’ worth of a particular type of music and ask them to relax and listen. At the end of the five minute period, take the subject’s pulse again (and temperature if you have a thermometer). Make a note of these readings.

Step four: Invite the subject to relax once more, for another five minutes without music. At the end of the five minutes, take the pulse (and temp) again and make a note of these readings.

Repeat steps three and four for each of the different types of music you want to include in your test.

You can test many people on the same day, or you could test one person at a time and spread the testing out over a period of days, weeks or months, it doesn’t matter. You should be sure to make a note of what period the testing occurs over, however.
The data you have collected at the end might be easier to analyse if you put it into a graph. I can explain how to do this if you like.

You should be aware of a phenomenon called ‘white coat syndrome’; sometimes, test subjects can become anxious about being tested repeatedly, which can skew your results.

The results are likely to show that listening to music produces a measurable physiological effect upon the listener. You will be able to compare the levels of effect caused by different types of music. From this point, you can begin to ask more detailed questions about possible reasons for the results.

You might like to ask your subjects to complete a questionnaire about the types of music they usually listen to, before you begin testing.

You could include an element of testing for improvement in concentration by asking subjects to complete an exercise, like a crossword or maths puzzle, in the rest periods between listening periods.

Let me know how your results turn out.

Sites with information about research into the effect of music on the brain

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3095807.stm

http://www.heartmathreport.com/index.php/C42/ [Broken]

http://www.soundtherapy.co.uk/research/musicresearch.php [Broken]

http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/music.html#lobe

http://www.nursing-standard.co.uk/archives/ns/vol18-36/pdfs/v18n36p3339.pdf [Broken]

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0230.htm

http://www.sln.org.uk/music/Documents/mozart%20effect%20qls%20day%20timed%20version.ppt [Broken]

http://www.kaizen-training.com/free/TtT_Hare_Smallwood.pdf [Broken]

http://adutopia.subportal.com/health/Diseases_and_Conditions/Brain/110501.html [Broken]

http://www.bera.ac.uk/publications/pdfs/musicreview.pdf [Broken]

http://www.news-medical.net/?id=186

Happy testing!
Kate.

I have a few friends that would probably be quite interested in participating, as they all have the same question I have.

Thanks very much kate. When I get it all done, i'll let you know how it went, perhaps we can be the pinnical of it all and come out with some decent answers. :p

- Paul.

I've been a working jazz musician off and on for 30+ years, and I've played rock and roll -- worked with a guy who did James Brown almost as well as James Brown -- it can be fun, but it gets boring to play. I note that quite a few kids, mostly guitar players in their late teens, and early twenties gravitate to jazz from rock and roll because rock and roll, for them, gets boring and they want to play music that is more challenging. That's not to say that all rock is that way -- Eric Clapton ,Sting, Prince, for example are brilliant musicians, recognized as such by jazz players and symphonic players.

I find the comments about classical music to be parochial. That is, Bach, for example, has remained popular for over 300 years, 10 times as long as heavy metal. Gershwin, Irving Berlin, Cole Porter, Duke Ellington have lasted for almost 100 years -- and even some rockers do the Great American Songbook.

Every generation seems to have its own music, which they, of course, think is, like man what else is there to dig? When I was a kid we had rhythm and blues, and big band and jazz and the beginnings of rock and roll, and there was lot's of classical music on the radio. We got exposed to many types of music, something that sadly is no longer true. One thing to note is that white bands did covers of black group songs, Earth Angel was one, and the white bands got all the bread, one of the dirty secrets of the music biz.

Types of music and intellect? I've never seen any correlation -- there's no accounting for taste. There are geniuses in jazz, in classical and opera, in rock, in blues, in country.To play anything past three chord rock requires intelligence. To do recording and mixing takes great skill, great ears, and brains. And note that those three chords came directly from classical music. I've known PhD physicists who are rockers, who are jazz lovers, who dote on opera, and blue collar workers who love opera. Who's to figure?

Hiphop? In the hands of a skilled producer like Quincy Jones, it can be achingly beautiful, and/or fierce - I tend to think of it as folk music, not necessarily that different at the core from Irish folk ballads. Folks are trying to say something, talkin' to you.

(I do have to admit, that my three sons, all in their 40s, are guitarists, are rockers and dig heavy metal, which I do not. Like generations are different.)

Music is to enjoy. Listen to what you like. But do have the courage to stretch yourself once in a while and listen to something different -- Andy Summers (sp) CD of some of Thelonius Monk's music -- Expand your palette, increase your enjoyment. Get really hip.

Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

Excellent thread - very informative!

While Reilly's right that music is usually for enjoyment, this discussion seems to be more about its use as a tool that shapes mental response - giving temporarily increased mental capability, or soothing disruptive children. That's intuitively obvious - but many 'obvious' notions fall down in controlled tests so I'll be interested to see the outcome of the experiments.

Now I'm off to read some of kate's links.

Last edited:
Reilly,

You're absolutely right, music is to enjoy and I would defend to the death the right of evry man to listen to music of their choice, even music that might make me feel that my ears are bleeding. I love classical music, by the way, especially Debussy, Chopin, Dvorjak, Stravinsky, Bethoven, Schubert, Barber and Mahler. My favourite bands are Dream Theater (Petrucci is a genius), Rush, Genesis (drumming you couldn't sneeze at) and Evanescence, whose songs could be repackaged as modern preludes and fugues. While lots of jazz leaves me cold, Gershwin and Porter are notable exceptions and Jamie Cullum is bringing me round, slowly.

When you talk of having known geniuses who play various types of music, we may be at cross purposes, Paul is, I think, referring largely to individuals who listen only, rather than to musicians. Musicians are a creative bunch, by and large and would not I think, be included in Paul's interestingly named 'chav' category. I play flute, myself and can struggle through a simple classical guitar piece, but my strumming leaves a lot to be desired.
Paul might be surprised by some of the results that I suspect he will record in his experiment...

Nice talking to you,
Kate.

can anybody else feel the music in their head? I mean literally feel it? Because certain musical notes resonate in different parts of my mind and I can actually know where and in which parts.

scarecrow said:
can anybody else feel the music in their head? I mean literally feel it? Because certain musical notes resonate in different parts of my mind and I can actually know where and in which parts.
That is quite phenomenal. Could you please explain this? I didn't think it was physically possible, as you cannot physically feel your brain, as there are no nerv endings there. (Yes, every nerv leads there, but they aren't like the skin. They aren't touch sensetive)

@Kate. Those links you provided were excellent, and definitley show atleast some correlation between music and mental capabilities.

@reilly: You said how you knew talented musicians with allot of intillect. A good question would be, would being those musicians that they are - if they were not those, would they be as smart?

Some of kates links proved that listening to classical music stimulates the memory, giving your brain more power to remember.
Music (mostly classical for its complexity) could be doing the exact same to our IQ, only at a slower rate.

One of my friends come back from Scotland tomorrow, and the other will be back from Wales this Friday, I think, so i'll tell them both about this, and ask them if they would wish to participate in the experiment.

feeling music in your mind

scarecrow said:

Yes, scarecrow,

It sounds as though you're describing perfect pitch, the holy grail of all singers. I know exactly what you mean about certain notes resonating in your mind (but not your brain); this is commonly called tone colour. Do you sing or play an instrument? If not, it would be worth learning, you might be gifted.

Kate.

No, I don't play an instrument as a matter of fact. However, I can tell if a singer sucks or is great immediately...I can tell if a musical beat sucks or is great...etc.

I don't know if I'm gifted, but I probably just listen to good music.

scarecrow -- Now about music in your head. Yes, it can happen while playing and while listening.

Like, it's a trip to play in a big band. Being in the middle of all that sound can be an absolutely transcendent experience -- nothing exists but the music, which can literally be palpable. I'm a piano player, and with a bassist and drummer, we can do trio work, or backup horn players and/or singers. There are times when we are "in the pocket", jazz talk for being in a groove. It's a great experience, and fills your head, and dictates to your fingers, and you know what the other cats are doing and what they are going to do, and it's all so effortless. It's a real trip.

Listening. Yes, I'm often filled up at the opera; Wagner's Ring Cycle is absolutely spectacular. He uses low woodwinds a lot, to the point that the whole audience and opera hall vibrate -- magic indeed. I cry with Puccini, am transfixed by Rosenkavalier and Meistersinger. When I hear this music, there is nothing else -- I don't think at all.
Same for Brahms, Beethoven, Bach, Mozart, Bartok, and on an on. These days I'm heavy into chamber music, the sound of four or five strings often is exquisite.

Similarly with my all time favorite, Charlie "Bird" Parker, who talked to us in a different language, bebop, and taught us new ways to play. Coletrane, Bill Evans, Miles all have a lot to say, as do many others. I tend to go into a state of elation when I hear the masters, and again there's nothing else when listening to great jazz, or, for that matter, great blues, Crosby Stills and Nash, the Doobies, the Beatles, and on and on.

I'm not big on Gregorian Chants, or music with a lot of drones. But there are those who find such music meditative and hypnotic. I am frankly dubious about the long term effects of listening to any type of music, I've never seen any evidence. But, who knows.

Good music fills you up -- if it does not, it's not good music.

Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

Paul Wilson said:
You mentioned that fast exciting music may cause someone who is driving to speed up. Perhaps the what we know as chavs, that listen to that music get over excited and it leads them to the point they must physically harm others and vandalize property.

It occurs to me that it may appear that I am supporting this contentious claim. I should like to make clear that I do not believe this statement to be true: 'they must physically harm others and vandalize property', with reference to individuals who listen to dance or rave music. Indeed, I went to quite a few raves in my time, took plenty of recreational narcotics while I was there (although if impeached, I will of course insist that I didn't inhale), and have never felt so compelled.
As far as I am aware, there is no evidence to support this claim and I should be surprised to find any serious or valid research being conducted in this area.

On a related note, there have been studies conducted which show that listening to aggressive music with explicitly violent lyrics can lead to an increase in aggressive impulses.

http://www.apa.org/releases/violentsongs.html [Broken]

VIOLENT MUSIC LYRICS INCREASE AGGRESSIVE THOUGHTS AND FEELINGS, ACCORDING TO NEW STUDY
Even Humorous Violent Songs Increase Hostile Feelings
Full text of the article is available from the APA Public Affairs Office or at http://www.apa.org/journals/releases/psp845960.pdf [Broken]
Lead author Craig Anderson, Ph.D., can be reached at (515) 294-0283

Listen without prejudice.

Kate.

Paul Wilson said:
that music is called crunk...lol.

Paul Wilson said:
That is quite phenomenal. Could you please explain this? I didn't think it was physically possible, as you cannot physically feel your brain, as there are no nerv endings there. (Yes, every nerv leads there, but they aren't like the skin. They aren't touch sensetive)
I think you misunderstood me...or maybe I mispoke. I meant it figuritively that I can "feel" music...

(I already knew that one cannot physically feel their brain...)

As a musician I claim, as do others. that indeed I can feel the music -- and, as I mentioned above, it's a transcendent experience when it happens. The experience does fill up my head.

Does that mean I'm feeling my brain -- who knows? As a physicist, and amateur neuroscientist, I believe the experience can be given a plausible explanation. It's been known for years that meditation has a physical effect on the brain -- there's are/is characteristic brain wave patterns associated with meditation. And, some forms of meditation are generated or stimulated by external stimuli. Frankly, that's enough to make my musical experience plausible to me -- neural pathways, changes in neurotransmitter balances, and all that wonderfully complex stuff.

Something I've learned from string players in small chamber music groups, trios, string quartets, etc, is very akin to what you might call a gestalt mentality. That is, some say through detection of vibrations in the floor -- some say ??, that they are fully aware of what the other players are doing -- this is very important in classical music, and particularly in chamber music because they do not use the well-tempered scale. That is Ab and G# are different notes, and there are occasions when, say the lead violinist, might slightly alter a G#. Further there can be times, especially in modern classical music, in which the other players will not alter their notes or tonality in response, and other times in which they will. And this is all happening in real time. (of course, lot's of rehearsal helps greatly) This goes way beyond the level of musical communication and awareness among most jazz players.

Athletes talk about being in the zone -- Ray Allen, an All Star basketball player for he Seattle Supersonics, talks about games in which he knows his shots will go in, and is surprised when they don't go in -- which, fortunately does not happen often.

Reductionist and empiricist that I am, I still find magic in the human mind and brain.

There is a remarkable book called Flow, by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, which deals with peak experiences, similar to what I've mentioned here. (He is very legit, has a PhD, had a MacArthur (Genius) Grant, and, I believe, taught at the University of Chicago).

Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

reilly said:
There is a remarkable book called Flow, by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi [...] (He is very legit, has a PhD, had a MacArthur (Genius) Grant
He did not receive a MacArthur Grant. At this URL with bios of featured speakers...
http://www.chamber-music.org/conference/2002Conf/speakers_bios_02.html [Broken]

...his bio doesn't mention MacArthur, yet the next bio does mention MacArthur. Macfdn.org lists all of the MacArthur grantees here...
http://www.macfdn.org/programs/fel/complete_list_5.htm [Broken]

...and fails to mention Csikszentmihalyi.

hitssquad -- Thank you, I stand corrected. I misread, in the Acknowledgments section of his book on Creativity, a citation of support from the Mac Arthur Foundation as one of a grant.
Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

As someone who works with dance music everyday, I feel that I must correct a few misconceptions on your part. Please excuse the long post, but there is a point to all these descriptions.

Paul Wilson said:
The biggest impact music has had in Northern Ireland has been the annoying repetitive dance/rave music.

Firstly, just from this sentence, I can tell that you don't know much about dance music, which is understandable if you don't like the genre.

There are douzens of genres of dance, but just for the sake of simplifying things, I'll narrow it down to the basics. People who generally don't know much about this kind of music tend to classify it as "all the same", because you instinctively catch on to the most predominant element of the sound (in this case, the kickdrums on every time and hats on every countertime). You might be surprised by this, but as a producer (and connaisseur) of dance, I can tell you that your average dance track, with the general exception of house music, is in fact (musically) less repetitive than most rock.

The general genres would be:

(Non-progressive) House music
Trance
Goa/psychadelic

Some of these genres can be as different from each other as metal is to bethoven. Which is how I knew from your generalization that you weren't very familiar with this sort of music. What makes them similar is their basic structures; 4/4 rhythm with kickdrums on every time, over arrangements of 32 beats (commonly called phrases in dance lingo).

House is generally repetitive (probably what you've heard). You'll usually find the same pattern repeating itself constantly. It's a common and very popular sound you'll find at pretty much all nightclubs or raves.

Trance is a singular element constantly undergoing evolution. It features a typically much more complex and emotionally charged melody. From it's earliest point, tension is built and then released.

Goa and psychadelic are somewhat similar to trance, but are usually much more abstract and complex. The main element isn't always driven by melodic instruments. I can be an array of strange sounds forming a pattern. This is the kind of music that people tend associate with hallucinogenic drugs and/or delinquant behavior.

Now the reason why I gave this lenghy explanation is for my next point;

Paul Wilson said:
Dance/Techno/Rave - Generally listened by those in adolescent years - Majority of those who listen to this music, have appeared to be 'Slow idiotic and mostly incompetent. Constantly in a state of anger, always vandalize public property or physically injure others for no reason. Always abuse drugs and alcohol. Mainly the British, but allot of the world know these types of people as Chavs (see www.chavscum.co.uk[/URL])[/I] [/QUOTE]

I've noticed that the people you described tend to have a taste limited to house music.

However, your average trance fan is typically a progressive free thinker. (and this is the point where you'll start suspecting I'm biased :p )Most trance fans* I've known seemed to have slightly or moderately above IQs, were very relaxed and passive individuals, and also appreciated classical music.

As for psychadelic, most (if not all) of it's listeners were very passive, relaxed, liberal, open minded, and had IQs far above average. Now after reading this, go back and read the part I put in bold earlier. I felt it was nessessary to point out the falasy of this common stereotype. You can probably attribute that to society's typical fear of the new and unknown. But to get back to my point...

I've put an asterix in an earlier paragraph because of these observations:

-House is relatively simplistic and repetitive.
-Trance is very complex and somewhat abstract but appears to be repetitive on the surface.
-Psychadelic is extremely complex and very abstract but appears to be repetitive on the surface.

-There are people who only like house music.
-Most of the trance listeners also liked house music and classical music.
-Most of the psychadelic listeners also liked trance, house and classical.

What you can deduct from this (and previous posts in this thread) is that, the more complex and/or abstract a genre is, the fewer and more intelligent are the people who appreciate it.

From having worked with and dissected songs of nearly every genre in existence, I've grown very familiar with their compositions. Using this knowlege, this is how I would sort genres, from the least complex to the most complex.

Rap/hip hop > Rock/pop rock > sub-genres of rock (punk, metal, etc) > house > classical > jazz/blues > trance > goa & psychadelic

Now there's something very interresting about this. You might notice that this also lists genres in their approximate level of popularity.

My theory:

The least complex of genres appeal to a large range of listeners. Some intelligent, some not. Some open minded, some close minded. The more complex the music genres get, the least popular they become, and the higher the intelligence of their average listeners. This doesn't mean that a hip hop fan who hates classical music is dumb, but rather, it would mean that this person (who could in fact be extremely intelligent) is amongst a group of people with a far more diverse range of intellectual capacities.

[QUOTE=Paul Wilson]
Rap - Generally listened by those in adolescent years - The minority of those who listen to this music turn into standardised Eminem?s and use drugs. Not always idiotic, incompetent, but about 60% of those who only listen to rap are ill-mannered. [/QUOTE]

Now apply my theory to your description. This would currently be the most popular genre of music. The rate of delinquance, crime, and drug use among rap listeners is more or less proportional to society in general. As you move on to other, less popular genres, these people get slowly "filtered out".

As for your other descriptions:

[QUOTE=Paul Wilson]
Rock - Generally listened by those in adolescent years and the middle aged generation - The majority that listen to Rock music, are well mannered, polite, hard working people, and usually quite intelligent. [/QUOTE]

I disagree. I would classify rock listeners are very [i]average[/i]. Why? Because rock is extremely popular. You'll find all sorts of people who like it. Some of them are middle aged, are well mannered, hard working, intelligent, and polite. Some of them are young or old, ill mannered, and aren't very intelligent at all. Walk on the street, pick a random person, and chances are, that person likes some kind of rock music.

[QUOTE=Paul Wilson]
Classical - Not very widely listened to. Despised by the Rave culture, Rap culture, liked by the rock and metal culture. [/QUOTE]

As for this one, as I've already explained earlier, most people within what you call "rave culture" do in fact appreciate classical music.

As for rap, rock and metal culture, this is simply explained by the diversity of people who like these genres. Some of them will like classical, some of them won't.

[QUOTE=Paul Wilson]
When listening to music, your brain releases more testosterone or [I]Forgot the name of the female equivalent to testosterone[/I] (Let's call Testosterone etc 'X') which in turn, makes you more hyper. The faster the music beats or more "active" it is, the more X your brain releases, causing you to do things you wouldn't normally do unless perhaps under the influence of drugs or alcohol.[/QUOTE]

You assume that a high level of energy makes you lose control of your actions. To return to my earlier examples;

-House music is generally maintained at a speed of 125bpm to 135bpm.

-Trance music is generally maintained at a speed of 135bpm to 145bpm.

Trance music is named so because of it's relaxing properties. Ever notice how if you're walking on the street and you hear a loud beat coming from a nearby car, you instinctively adjust your walking speed to the beat? Maybe not. Some people do this, and others don't. The fast rhythm of dance affects people's minds and bodies in the same manner. Depending on your movement and state of mind, your heartbeat and blood pressure are adjusted accordingly. Through concentration and relaxation, some people are known to be able to control this (this is known as "blood meditation"). Trance music is a modern version of this. Some people (such as myself) can be very relaxed from listening to trance. Others (ravers, clubbers) are energized by it.

It's a common practice among DJs to manipulate this effect to create tension buildups and tension releases. At the end of the night, tracks with lower energy levels are played to relax the crowd.

Csikszentmihalyi and MacArthur

reilly said:
hitssquad -- Thank you, I stand corrected. I misread, in the Acknowledgments section of his book on Creativity, a citation of support from the Mac Arthur Foundation as one of a grant.
Actually, it says in that Acknowledgments section of his book on Creativity that Csikszentmihalyi did receive a MacArthur Foundation grant:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0060928204/?tag=pfamazon01-20

--
Three chapters of the book were drafted while I was a guest of the Rockefeller Foundation in its Italian Center at Bellagio. The rest were written while I was a fellow at the Center for Advanced Studies in the Behavioral Sciences in Palo Alto, with support from the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation grant #8900078, and the National Science Foundation grant #SBR-9022192.
--

Flexor-- As a jazz musician and music lover, I too am more than familiar with many forms of dance music, and, actually, have been so for more than 50 years. That being said, many experienced musicians feel that Bach, particularly in his Choral Fantasies, wrote the most complex music ever. Then there's Scriabin, Pierre Boulez, Bartok, Meissian(sp?), the Polish pointillists, Richard Strauss with Salome and Electra, John Cage, and on and on. Even if on the surface Mozart sounds not-so-complex, give another listen or two to the ensemble work in his operas. Dig into Wagner with his extraordinary orchestrations, and often shifting key centers, which, of course brings up Schoenberg, Berg, Webern, etc. etc. etc. Check scores of some these composers -- they will blow your mind.

Jazz -- first of all I'll say, from some experience, that the average pop music musician simply won't cut it playing jazz, jazz is very hard to play well. One of things that amazes me about a lot of pop music. is the bass lines hardly ever vary, and drum machines work often as well as live drummers. (There, are of course exceptions). Check out some free jazz -- Cecil Taylor, the Art Ensemble of Chicago. Coletrane's later work -- in fact any of Coltrane's work one he found his voice while working with Theloniu Monk, like his solo on Round Midnight with Miles Davis, his Giant Steps, with an extraordinary harmonic structure. Monk too, has written some very complex music, as has Charlie Mingus -- check out the Carnegie Hall concerts of both of these giants. And then there's every jazz musicians main man, Bird, Charlie Parker, with recordings of Koko (based on Ray Noble's Cherokee), Relaxin' at Camerillo -- so complicated, particulalry in its time structure, that highly experienced musicians, most of whom had worked with Bird, couldn't cut it without a lot of rehearsal -- and all it was was the blues. Like Louis Armstrong before him, Bird totally changed the landscape of jazz, and, in fact, if you know how to listen, you can hear his influences today in many forms of music.

Blues. True, blues tends not to be highly complex, in the blues world. But, listen hard to, say BB King, there's a lot going on, while not as complex as Bach's work for solo violin or cello, there is certainly more sophistication than is initially evident. Blues in the jazz world can get monumentally complex, particulalry harmonically.

True, complexity can be a subjective concept. But I challenge you to listen to any Bach Prelude and Fugue, then listen to any pop music you want. and say that Bach is not almost infinitely more complex -- even if you don't much care for Bach

Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

Last edited:
And you'll notice that I put jazz and classical as some of the most complex. I've heard a lot of bach, and I agree it's relatively complex compared to most music. But I still think trance is generally more complicated than classical.

You also have to consider that I don't base this exclusively on melodic arrangements. This includes morphing, gating, slides, and a million effects that simply aren't possible with real instruments. I count all these elements as adding to the complexity of the music. Classical music has relatively little structure. You can work with any rhythm you choose. You simply layer notes upon notes and shape a musical piece. An orchestra of 50 people could consist of barely a douzen elements. Having four or five clarinets playing the partition of clarinet 1 counts as one element. The general lack of percussions also significantly reduces it's complexity. But still, it's far more complex than most rock, which consists of at most two or three guitars, a battery, a singer, and one or two other instruments. Even more simple is rap, which consits of a simplistic loop. I don't really consider rap as a conventional genre of music though. I prefer to think of it as mainly poetry with a rytmic touch.

1. What is the impact of music on behavior?

The impact of music on behavior can vary depending on the individual and the type of music being listened to. Generally, music has been found to have a strong influence on emotions, mood, and arousal levels, which can ultimately affect behavior. Upbeat and fast-paced music may lead to increased energy and motivation, while slow and calming music can induce relaxation and reduce stress.

2. Can music affect cognitive abilities and decision-making?

Yes, music has been shown to have an impact on cognitive abilities and decision-making. Studies have found that music can improve memory, attention, and problem-solving skills. Additionally, certain types of music can influence decision-making by either promoting risk-taking or encouraging cautiousness.

3. Is there a connection between music and aggression?

Research has shown that there is a correlation between music and aggression, particularly in adolescents. Exposure to violent or aggressive lyrics in music has been linked to aggressive thoughts and behaviors. However, the relationship between music and aggression is complex and can also be influenced by individual factors such as personality and prior experiences.

4. How does music impact social behavior?

Music has the power to bring people together and influence social behavior. Certain types of music can evoke feelings of empathy, connection, and unity among individuals. In some cases, music can also influence social behaviors such as dancing, singing, and group participation.

5. Can music be used as a form of therapy for behavior disorders?

There is evidence to suggest that music can be an effective form of therapy for behavior disorders such as anxiety, depression, and ADHD. Music therapy has been found to reduce symptoms and improve overall well-being in individuals with these disorders. However, it should be used in combination with other forms of treatment and under the guidance of a trained professional.