Musings of a different academic path

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of going back to school for a different career path, specifically in the scientific field. The person has an Associate degree in Computer Information Technology with a focus on C+, but is now interested in physics and chemistry. However, they are concerned about their lack of skill in math and question the difficulty of retrofitting their degree. The other person suggests taking calculus courses to see if they develop the necessary skills, and advises against pursuing physics and chemistry without strong math abilities. They also suggest starting anew instead of trying to retrofit the degree.
retcon
After browsing through a like minded thread in this forum, I too am seriously pondering going back to school to embark on a different career path. I have an Associate degree in Computer Information Technology (translation: garbage) which at the time had an emphasis on C+ (this was prior to the additional PLUS...yes that's how long it's been). Very much would I like to embark on a scientific path, trouble is math has never been my strongsuit.

As a kid you think to yourself, "What good will this equation do me in the real world?" Then the real world smacks you upside the head as close to everything that is intellectually stimulating in the secular world has an intrinsct connection with higher numeric concepts.

Just wondering out loud how difficult it would be to retrofit my AAS degree to a 4 year institution, and pursue further degrees in physics and/or chemistry?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need to take some calculus courses and see if you develop skill in math. If you cannot, then I would suggest steering away from physics and chemistry.

Essentially, saying that you want to major in physics but have no skill in math is like saying you want to be an army sniper but abhor violence.

By the way, I would not worry about retrofitting your AAS degree. I would consider that in the past and start anew.

1. What is "Musings of a different academic path" about?

"Musings of a different academic path" is a blog written by someone who has chosen a non-traditional route in their academic career. The blog explores their experiences, challenges, and insights as they navigate this unique path.

2. Who is the target audience for this blog?

The target audience for this blog is anyone who is interested in non-traditional academic paths, whether they are currently on one or considering it as an option. It may also be relevant for those who are curious about the experiences of others in the academic world.

3. What inspired the author to start this blog?

The author was inspired to start this blog because they noticed a lack of resources and support for individuals who have chosen a different academic path. They wanted to share their own experiences and create a community for those who may feel isolated or misunderstood in the traditional academic world.

4. Are there any specific topics that are frequently discussed in this blog?

Yes, some common topics that are discussed in this blog include challenges and successes on a non-traditional academic path, tips and advice for navigating this path, and reflections on the overall academic system and its impact on individuals.

5. Can readers contribute to this blog?

Yes, readers are welcome to contribute to this blog by commenting on posts and sharing their own experiences. The author also welcomes guest posts from individuals who have a unique perspective on non-traditional academic paths.