1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mutual energy of two dipoles.

1. May 26, 2007 #1
    i need to show that the mutual energy between two dioples p1 and p2 (not necessarily parallel to eachother) is [tex] U=-\frac{p_1\cdot p_2}{|r|^3}-3\frac{(p_1\cdot r)(p_2\cdot r)}{|r|^5}[/tex]
    where r is the vector from p_1 to p_2. (the p's are moments of diople).

i tried using this equation: [tex]U=\int dV \rho_2 * \phi_1 [/tex]
    and also this :[tex]\phi=\frac{p\cdot r}{|r|^3}[/tex]
    (phi is the potential and rho is the density).
    [tex]\rho_2=-1/4\pi\nabla^2\phi_2=-1/4\pi[\frac{1}{|r|^2}@/@r(r^2@\phi/@r)+\frac{1}{|r|^2*sin(\theta)}@/@\theta(sin(\theta)@\phi/@\theta)][/tex]
    where @ stands for peratial derivative, but i didnt get to the desired answer.
    any pointers?

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2007 #2

Pythagorean

Gold Member

What about

[tex]U=-{m\cdot B}[/tex]

where m is the vector for one of the dipoles in field B from the other dipole.

4. May 26, 2007 #3

Pythagorean

Gold Member

you'll have to dig the equation for the field (B) of dipole, too, I reckon.

5. May 26, 2007 #4
    by B, you mean the magnetic field, well i havent learned it yet (i mean we havent touched it in class as of yet, i myself read it form purcell), i pretty much sure i don't need here to use B, perhaps something else?

6. May 26, 2007 #5

Pythagorean

Gold Member

So these are electric dipoles then? I guess p usually denotes electric dipole and m is for magnetic dipole.

7. May 26, 2007 #6

Pythagorean

Gold Member

anyway, same equation, just:

U = -p.E

instead of -m.B

and dig up the E field for an electric dipole

8. May 26, 2007 #7
    well for E i found already, shouldn't i prove that it equals p.E? or in other words how to derive it?

9. May 26, 2007 #8

Pythagorean

Gold Member

If you want to find a derivation for U = -p.E, you might also remember that potential Energy is

the integral of F.dl

and the Force from a dipole is

F = (p.grad)E

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?