Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mutual inductance in concentric cylinders

1. Jul 8, 2011 #1
    Friends:

I have been thinking about this question for a while, so I hope you can help! Here it is:

Lets say you have two concentric, conducting cylinders.

The outer cylinder ("Cylinder 2") has the following properties: radius R2, carries a current of I2, relative magnetic permeability mu2, impedance of Z2 = R2 + jwL2.

The inner cylinder ("Cylinder 1") has the following properties: radius R1, carries a current of I1 (in the same direction as I2), relative magnetic permeability mu1, impedance of Z1 = R1 + jwL1.

My question is: how does the mutual inductance between these cylinders increase their impedance?

My guess is the following:

"Cylinder 1" creates a magnetic field B = (mu0)(mu1)(I1)/(2*pi*R1)
    This creates a mutual inductance on "Cylinder 2". The mutual inductance created on "Cylinder 2" is M21 = [(mu0)(mu1)(I1)/(2*pi*R1)]*LN(R2/R1).
    Thus the impedance of "Cylinder 2" increases to Z2 = R2 + jwL2 + jwM21.

"Cylinder 2" creates a magnetic field B = (mu0)(mu2)(I2)/(2*pi*R2). However, this field exists only outside the cylinder. Inside the cylinder, the magnetic field is 0. Therefore, the mutual inductance created on "Cylinder 1" by "Cylinder 2" is M12 = 0.
    Thus the impedance of "Cylinder 1" remains unchanged at Z1 = R1 + jwL1.

Please let me know if this is correct or if I'm terribly mistaken! Thank you kindly!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted