1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mutual Inductance of coaxial coils

1. Mar 18, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Not sure if I'm correct or wrong..because usually M12 = M21

3. The attempt at a solution

Here coil 1 and coil 2 are coaxial, with coil 2 being shorter and having smaller area.

257lu8x.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

M21 always = M12. That can be shown by an energy argument.

It's correct I think to say that
    M21 = N2phi1/i1. That computes to
    M21 = N2A2μn1
    where N2 is the number of turns in the inside coil 2. This agrees with your expression of M12 (I think you reverse the conventional sequence of the subscripts, but OK).

This is because the flux inside coil 2 is clearly very nearly the same as that inside coil 1.

It's more difficult to argue in the same manner to derive M12 because the question is how much of the flux generated by coil 2 really couples into coil 1.

The answer however has to be such that M12 = M21. I have looked at several derivations of mutual inductance of various coil configurations and in each case they pick the easier computation for Mij and then assume (correctly) that Mji = Mij.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted