1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mutual Inductance of two solenoids

1. Feb 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A solenoid has N1 turns, radius R1, and length L. It is so long that its magnetic field is uniform nearly everywhere inside it and is nearly 0 outside. A second solenoid has N2 turns, radius R2 < R1, and the same length L. It lies inside the first solenoid, with their axes parallel.

(a) Assume solenoid 1 carries variable current I. Computer the mutual inductance characterizing the emf induced in solenoid 2.

(b) Now assume solenoid 2 carries current I. Compute the mutual inductance to which the emf in solenoid 1 is proportional.

(c) State how the results of parts (a) and (b) compare with each other.

2. Relevant equations
    E = -L (dI/dt)
    E2= -M12 (dI1/dt)
    E1= -M21 (dI2/dt)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Thus far I have computed the mutual inductance to be M21=M12= (u0*N2*N1*pi*R2^2)/L
    I am especially have trouble understanding what is meant by "characterizing the emf induced in solenoid 2". I don't know how to obtain a mutual inductance that CHARACTERIZES the emf. Likewise, I am not quite sure how to even interpret the significance of question (b).

Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2009 #2
    Solved...nevermind

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook