Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Mutual Inductance

1. Aug 19, 2008 #1
    1.I dont understand where the J2X2 comes from. Everything else seems fine but why is there a J2x2 CHECK ATTACHED PICTURE

THANK YOU

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2008 #2
    Maybe post the picture somewhere else or explain.

4. Aug 20, 2008 #3
    well basically im trying to do mesh analysis to calculate the mesh currents in that picture.......

umm...those are the two equations that the book shows. I understand where all the terms in the first mesh equation come from, but I am confused about where j2x2 comes from in the 2nd mesh equation

Anyone
    know?

5. Aug 20, 2008 #4

The Electrician

Gold Member

What you have is j2 occurring twice.

The first one is caused by current I2 in inductor j6; that causes a voltage of I2*j2 to be induced in the j8 inductor.

Then, the I2 current in inductor j8 also causes a voltage of I2*j2 to be induced in inductor j6.

When you have two coupled inductors in series in a loop, such as the I2 loop, the current in each inductor causes a voltage drop in that same inductor, but it also causes a voltage drop in the other inductor.

6. Aug 20, 2008 #5
    Thanks makes sense :)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook