• Start date

Homework Statement

qq21ld.png

Homework Equations

Φ = M*I
Biot-Savart law
Ampere's law

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the formula Φ = M*I, which means that to find the mutual inductance I simply need to find the magnetic flux through the top circuit due to the current in the bottom circuit. However, I don't yet have a solid grasp of Ampere's law. Is there a way to use Ampere's law in this situation, or am I going to have to grind it out with Biot-Savart?

Answers and Replies

LowlyPion
Homework Helper
I have the formula Φ = M*I, which means that to find the mutual inductance I simply need to find the magnetic flux through the top circuit due to the current in the bottom circuit. However, I don't yet have a solid grasp of Ampere's law. Is there a way to use Ampere's law in this situation, or am I going to have to grind it out with Biot-Savart?
Looks like you will have a double integral for each point along the second wire for all the contribution from points on the first, then integrated over its own length.

See also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inductance#Mutual_inductance

Can I use Biot-Savart to find the magnetic field at some general point (x,y) in the plane, then integrate that over the area of the top loop to get flux?

Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
What's the B-field of a long straight wire?